Note to New Members ×

Anyone wear impact protection beyond a helmet?

Unicorn Poop

After a particularly nasty getoff this past Monday that has affected my ability to do my job all week, I'm considering measures beyond just a helmet to prevent future owies.

I'm wondering if anyone uses body armor jackets like what are used in MX racing. Example:

10050-001-2.jpg

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Fox_Racing_Titan_Sport_Jacket_p/10050-001.htm

I dont but I'm thinking about it. My second time out this season i slipped on ice mid turn and went down. Less than a second later, I got nailed from behind by a straight lining skier. The skier ended up taking the brunt of it and had to be taken off in a sled. Still scared the crap out of me. Thinking about investing in a back protector at a minimum.

I got that exact top after an impact tore my shoulder apart. (Should have bought it BEFORE the injury - doh!) Started wearing hip/butt protection after a hard landing on my right hip left it hurting for....4 years now. It has never fully healed, but I haven't reinjured it now that I'm wearing padding, even in pretty hard falls. Also use knee and wrist guards.

Chest/Spine protector...Demon Sheild vest.

http://www.demonsnow.com/store/DS%205100%20Shield%20Vest

Drove my elbow into my ribs on a nasty fall and never ever wanted to do that again. The spine protector is a nice bonus...landing on my back is a non-issue now and I worry less about straight liners that are not paying attention. Can get a little toasty on warmer days tho...

Another one to consider, is an athletic mouth guard. The squishy grey matter is the most important to me. a lot of concussion can either be avoided, or limited in severity by keeping the lower jaw from becoming a hammer against the skull.

at $2.99 (up to 14.99), this is the best bang for the buck IMHO.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217290

I have a back protector that's saved me a few times when I've gone out the front. Rather than being in pain for days, it's been a case of "ouch" and getting up and carrying on.

I got hit from behind by a skier a couple of years back, and knocked about 50 feet downslope. The back protector took the brunt of it. it wasn't hard to tell a few days afterwards where the armor stopped and my ribs started ... I don't dare imagine what sort of damage I'd have taken if I hadn't been wearing it.

I have impact shorts, but I never remember to put them on. The couple of times I have worn them though, they've been great - it's much more comfortable washing out onto a hip with them on.

I wear this EVS Ballistic Jersey:

http://www.motocrossgear.com/blog/gear/evs-bj22-ultra-x-ballistic-jersey/

I started wearing it after my Shoulder separation (type 3) a couple of seasons ago. Took a pretty rough spill last Wednesday and boy did it save me... Also has saved me from a couple of straight-lining skiers since I've started wearing it.

I don't have armor but I do make a lawyer ride we me everywhere I go. He wears a business suit and carries a briefcase with him when he rides. Nobody comes anywhere near us.

Funny someone mentions this since I DO ride with my lawyer sometimes...

Anyway I think it's a great idea! Also should include helmet mounted go pro!

My mom used to make me wear that exact thing but I felt it was really restrictive and I don't wear it much anymore but I sometimes take the Back piece off and only use that when I am riding in the park or in the trees or BX (last year a guy got a horrible cut all over his back in boarder cross I don't want that to happen to me). Personally I do not like it but when I have worn it it has saved me from taking a trip back home a few times. I feel that the back piece is the most important thing but you will probably get pretty warm wearing that.

Edited by NSSage

I'm a big fan of the armor. I refer to it as my battle armor. helmet, chest piece and leggings. I use Demon's Force Flex Pro D30 series. surprisingly comfortable (if perhaps a bit hot on some days), and I've definetly taking a few hits and falls where my brain said "we shouldn't feel this good right now." so it has more than paid itself off already. Still, it doesn't make you impervious, I did mess up my shoulder a bit by landing on my arm wrong (armor absorbed a lot of the impact) and having it almost dragged straight out of its socket by how i landed, but it was a pretty extreme nasty landing on hardpack that did it. and my brain says I should have broken bones in that fall, joint hurt for a while (still hurts a little) but no bruising, no broken bones. So my vote's for that gear, but spend some time making sure it fits you the way you want it to (since their sizing can be a bit funny).

My friends have seen me wearing it and have since bought armor as well, they've more or less just started snowboarding and were hesitant at first, the armor has given them the confidence they need to get better without the fear of smashing themselves into pieces... And they took falls before and after the armor and remarked it's a real game changer having the armor there to catch the major screw ups because it allows you to focus more on your techniques riding, and less on what to do incase you start falling. that said, for the women, my g/f and my friend's wife report the armor doesn't sit well with ample breasted women; pulls in front, moving the shoulder padding slightly off the shoulders. so, try stuff on and see if it fits before taking it up the hill.

Edited by tjones

Wear the latest 12-13 Komperdell Cross Jacket, super comfy and very light for such jacket (about 1,5 kgs), about 1kgs lighter as the 11-12 version. It forms to your body (the backprotector it is). Sold my hard shell Dainese multi sport jacket for this one.

I use elbow guard and wrist guard and occasionally bum guard.

Been thinking about full upper armor, ive got fox one but am really interested in Dianese one with neck guard. Bit pricey, though.

http://www.dainese.com/wd_en/motorbike/jacket-wave-pro-1.html?cat=41

Amazing armor, looks like it would offer quite a bit of protection.

Absolutely I wear protection. On the top, I wear a MX 661 back and chest protector. It works great if you wash out on heal side, and go over on your back, especially on the icy terrain in eastern Ontario and western Quebec, that is usually tree lined. I figure it should help if I ever get hit by a pylon as well. Oh and its warm and comfortable as well, so there's that.

I also wear a pair of Thor mx knee braces, not that I have bad knees but again they prevent twisting if I go over, and they're comfortable if I kneel on the side of the hill for anything.

If I could find a pair of hip protectors that I liked, I'd buy them.

I'm old and don't like missing part of my season with injuries. My protective gear is comfortable, so why not wear it?

Chest

post-11422-141842384706_thumb.jpg

post-11422-141842384708_thumb.jpg

post-11422-14184238471_thumb.jpg

I haven't read through all the posts in this thread, so my opinion may be repeating others or a little on the extreme side. I ride sportbikes and do DH skateboarding in the summer and take protection seriously. I'm one of the guys who shows up to a DH session wearing my motorcycle gear while others have shorts and knee pads.

For impact protection look no further than motorcycle gear, it's been tested by all the racers. Dainese is even getting into the snow sports protection market. I can not stress ho important I think a back protector is. In my opinion it is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF PROTECTION that you will own. I wear a Forcefield T-Pro back protector, which is CE level 2 certified, there are even better back protectors out there if you search. Look up "CE Level 2" to learn more about impact protection. I also wear Forcefield T-Pro limb tubes under my jacket and some cheesy knee guards under my pants. You want to look for gear that is CE certified, CE Level 2 for the back is almost a requirement, and if you can get level 2 protection for your elbows and knees, that would be great, CE Level 1 is more common for armor other than back armor. This type of armor is probably overkill since you are not traveling 100+mph on a grippy surface with trees and guardrails 3 feet from your body.

Knox makes some nice adventure touring gear that you can wear as protection, basically it's lycra with pockets that the armor slips into. And there is a "new" armor out in the market called 3DO that is very slim and form fitting, yet absorbs quite a bit of energy. Again, look to the adventure touring or road racing motorcycle community. I don't think that MX gear is practical in snowboarding.

Hope that helps some of you guys gear up on protection. $1500 snowboards, $500 bindings, $600 boots, $300 jacket, $400 bibs. Spend some money on a back protector that will keep you out of the hospital.

Amazing armor, looks like it would offer quite a bit of protection.

Dainese stuff is okay, but I have to caution you guys that some of their back armor is made of a honeycomb aluminum. It's a one time use product. If any one of the honeycombs are comprimised, the back protector needs to be replaced. You may be better off getting something that is made with a type of foam that can take multiple hits. I'm a HUGE fan of Forcefield T Pro armor, they have a snow line. http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/snow

Dainese stuff is okay, but I have to caution you guys that some of their back armor is made of a honeycomb aluminum. It's a one time use product. If any one of the honeycombs are comprimised, the back protector needs to be replaced. You may be better off getting something that is made with a type of foam that can take multiple hits. I'm a HUGE fan of Forcefield T Pro armor, they have a snow line. http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/snow

It seems that most, if not all, of Dainese back protectors have honeycomb structures... Bugger.

I've got a fox Titan jacket medium (like the picture above). It says EC certified but doesn't say the level so probably level 1....