Note to New Members ×

hoof bindings

xy9ine

I handled a set at NES (Alberta session). They're fairly simple. Cant/lift would be via shims like F2 or SnowPro. The toe/heel blocks and the spacer between the plate and board are white translucent plastic, maybe Delrin or UMHW to my untrained eye.

They don't really solve any problems with current offerings or revolutionize anything, but are an interesting alternative. The rider (Freddy Ansara - spelling?) said they were a lot stiffer than F2s.

Very cool to have a new option.

However, this is a horrible idea...

735173_466904970037772_1313239549_n.jpg

I had a pair of bindings that worked on the same principle. The T-nuts pulled right through the slot after a half season of riding.

Unless there was a solid bar right across, connecting both T-nuts somehow, or a much larger and thicker pieces acting as the "anchors", I would never touch them.

Very cool to have a new optio

However, this is a horrible idea...

735173_466904970037772_1313239549_n.jpg

I had a pair of bindings that worked on the same principle. The T-nuts pulled right through the slot after a half season of riding.

Unless there was a solid bar right across, connecting both T-nuts somehow, or a much larger and thicker pieces acting as the "anchors", I would never touch them.

Were they t nuts in a metal track like these or were they like the older Burton all plastic? It would take a massive force to rip these out of the metal track Edited by lowrider
add text

I notice in the top pics they have four holes but only two screws. If the toe block was metal the slots would have more support from a solid contact surface but being plastic they would deform easier .Only two screws would be sketchy with plastic toe blocks. The constant prying that the bail would subject the screws to are a concern for sure. Four screws not so much. Non agressive ladies and kids bindings until these things are beefed up.

There is a metal plate on the inside of sole block that holds bail and act as reinforcement.

It's possible to use four screws, which will more securely hold sole blocks and stiffen lateral flex. Riders seem to prefer 2 screws for a bit of lateral flex, though.

Price wise it's roughly 300 usd so it's similar to ibex here.

They're Korean binding so unless someone in US wants to deal with them you'll have to speak Korean to buy them...

Price wise it's roughly 300 usd so it's similar to ibex here..

F2 Race ti cost two hundred something and they're proven many times on WC podiums.

Can anyone tell me the reason to go for hoof which cost more then F2? Other then that orange color?

. Riders seem to prefer 2 screws for a bit of lateral flex, though. I'd be scared to do more than one run with only two screws the way they are built. The debate for me is whats flexable and whats safe? The shoulder on the nuts is way smaller than the shoulder of nuts on F2 bindings.

They're Korean binding so unless someone in US wants to deal with them you'll have to speak Korean to buy them... There has to be at least i sumo carver out there doesn't there. bOardski ?

Edited by lowrider
don't want to go past 999

So how many 200lb + korean carvers are there?

A very good point!

Reason to go for hoof binding? Perhaps for those who wanted 6mm bail on Ibex. Indeed, not long ago someone asked here about attaching Bomber or Catek bails to Ibex... For that person hoof could be a good alternative provided he isn't too heavy...

I'm happy with my TD3, Sidewinder, ibex, catek but occasionally I thought ibex with 6mm bail could be interesting...

For heavier rider, may need to use 4 screws but then the stiffness may become hard and then one might as well go for TD3... But stack height is kinda attractive... I've been using TD3 with TD2 second board kit and would be interested to find out how the stack height between two bindings compare...

Proven WC record... Im sorry but according to that logic shouldn't everyone run with f2 binding, apex plate and Kessler or sigi boards...? Why bother with things like TD3 and Virus when they are more expensive and there is no proven Olympic record associated with them...?

Which brings an interesting point... Since I do own a couple of Virus boards... Maybe I should've bought Kessler/SG instead since they're cheaper and have more proven world cup podium records... Maybe I was wrong to purchase Virus...

I'm not trying to provoke anyone... Just to stimulate thoughts... That's all...

Edited by leeho730

Which brings an interesting point... Since I do own a couple of Virus boards... Maybe I should've bought Kessler/SG instead since they're cheaper and have more proven world cup podium records...

i'm down with this derailment. i was always a little curious about the the virii - do the exotic materials / construction / huge price tag provide a tangible benefit over something like a more conventionally built, but race proven kessler? very subjective, i know. the zylons are certainly droolworthy.

Well I just seemed to open that can of worm, didn't I? From my limited experience UFC was certainly worth the money (didn't do enough test on terminator) but of course one could use coiler AM or donek AX for almost half the price!

I'm being a devil's advocate here; I don't necessarily agree with what I say (for example, I kinda agree with TLN in that one might as well go for F2 considering price and proven performance) but I take unconventional/unpopular stance to test the strength of argument here... For example, lowrider mentioned about possible weakness of the sole block-baseplate interface... I could say that Burton bindings had similar interface but no one seemed to break them much, at least there is no report of it yet...

And I actually kinda agree with lowrider about that and I would put more faith in TD system than Hoof binding...

My point is hoof binding is worthy to consider... Will I buy it? Maybe if my Ibex breaks and I don't want to use Ibex any more for some reason... But pricey enough that I won't grab credit card (if I can buy it at all). Like TLN said, with price tag of 300 bucks might as well go for F2... But Hoof binding actually has sole blocks reinforced with metal plate.... So I believe sole block at least is going to be a bit more durable than f2... I recon it's a fairly good alternative to Ibex... But what can I say each to their own....

Edited by leeho730

True about EC breaking things. I also bent two 6mm bails, one from jump and one from carving. But never a titanium bail, still strong after 5 years... Sidewinder was a godsend.

Perhaps I should have said "F2 breaks more often than Bomber TD series. I remember fin's post regarding development of fin tec stating that the reason he discontinued F2 product was due to the fact that over 90% of warranty claim regarding binding came from a particular manufacturer and that (then) recent happening with lawsuit finally made him to develop his own system. I'll post the link once I find it...

F2 is a very good binding, definitely proven in world cup and Olympics, I was entertaining an idea of putting f2 sole blocks and bails on my splitboard... It's just I'll trust bomber binding under my feet rather than F2... Since durability and ruggedness are big issues for me... Call me skeptic/chicken...

The again the new F2 CNC should be extremely durable.... I'll be interested in how they ride...

Edited by leeho730

Proven WC record... Im sorry but according to that logic shouldn't everyone run with f2 binding, apex plate and Kessler or sigi boards...? Why bother with things like TD3 and Virus when they are more expensive and there is no proven Olympic record associated with them...?

Which brings an interesting point... Since I do own a couple of Virus boards... Maybe I should've bought Kessler/SG instead since they're cheaper and have more proven world cup podium records... Maybe I was wrong to purchase Virus...

Well.

I mean i can see lots of feedbacks for Kessler-SG-F2 and all the things from WC and I'm pretty confident for it's quality.

For some stuff i can see tons of feedbacks from carvers, and if it's all good - i can rely on this.

How many companies make bindings? F2, Bomber, Catek then goes some less popular: Virus, Ibex(they still in production?), Phiokka, and some Japan binders. Say 3 plus 5...And you definately wanna take the best for you. Now count hoe many board makers are there.

True about EC breaking things. I also bent two 6mm bails, one from jump and one from carving. But never a titanium bail, still strong after 5 years... Sidewinder was a godsend.

Perhaps I should have said "F2 breaks more often than Bomber TD series. I remember fin's post regarding development of fin tec stating that the reason he discontinued F2 product was due to the fact that over 90% of warranty claim regarding binding came from a particular manufacturer and that (then) recent happening with lawsuit finally made him to develop his own system. I'll post the link once I find it...

F2 is a very good binding, definitely proven in world cup and Olympics, I was entertaining an idea of putting f2 sole blocks and bails on my splitboard... It's just I'll trust bomber binding under my feet rather than F2... Since durability and ruggedness are big issues for me... Call me skeptic/chicken...

The again the new F2 CNC should be extremely durable.... I'll be interested in how they ride...

Well, bomber looks way stronger then F2 and cost more. Hoof looks less stronger then F2 for me and surprisingly cost more.

F2 are tend to break some time, but many people stiff prefer it. Because of a lateral flex, price and something else. And this have been proven by WC.

I have only one binders - F2 and have no complains. When i was choosing whether to buy F2 or take Bomber for 1st binders one girl told me: "hey, this one takes 1st place on hardest WC runs and you're still think you can break it that easily?"

As I previously mentioned: F2 have proven itself and cost less. See no reason to go for Hoof unless many people report tons of a good things :) Choosingbetween F2 and Bomber is way harder.