Note to New Members ×

Need Recommendations for New Softboots and a Hard Outer Shell (jacket)

FTA2R

Guys,

2 things:

I'm sorely (pun intended) overdue for new softboots, which are painful to wear now.

If there is a boot that is particularly good for narrow feet and/or skinny ankles, please let me know.

I'm also interested in some of these speed lacing systems (never had a pair with that), but it's not necessary.

Looked on burton.com real quick and it seems like the price for boots has gone up quite a bit!

Can I get a decent pair for < $250?

===

Any recs for a hard shell? It seems that this is not a popular solution anymore. I had a Burton Maximus and it was solid, but I lost it. I like the snowboard specific ones b/c they of all the pockets and functionality, but I'm open to new suggestions. Looking to pay < $200. Must be waterproof, but I'm not riding in AK, so just mid-grade is fine.

thanks,

Barry

Barry,

1) softboots: I have a pair of K2 T1's that I like, but one of the best things you can do is try on boots at a store if your feet are picky (like mine). I thought salomon malamutes were "narrower" boots until someone recently said they ran wider?? I dont know...I have to feel them for myself. evo.com has really nice sales sometimes.

2) softboot lacing systems: the T1's I own have the BOA system. It's great and I would recommend this over all the others. I've never had cable trouble (have about 30-40 days on mine). There are also other systems, usually some type of lace with aclip at the end; you pull hard and then lock them into a friction device (kinda hard to explain w/out pics). I don't like those as much because you have to clip something to the top of the boot and it's always coming loose and flopping around. But it's not terrible.

3) jackets: I used to love helly hansen but lately I've been noticing my jackets from them falling apart in little areas. I just thought they would have held up better. I am a HUGE fan of anything 686. I think their snowboarding line is functional, no-frills, and durable. I picked up a jacket at REI recently for $150 new (on clearance) with a high water resistance rating. so far so good. If you're interested, I have an older (2010) helly hansen jacket that I just didn't end up wearing much b/c it was a little big on me (it's a small but fits like a medium) - it's sitting in a closet - maybe we could work out a deal.

Nick

check this thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?36595-Anyone-have-experience-with-any-of-these-soft-boots

I went through a bit of searching and research on soft boots prior to buying hardboots, my malamutes are fine for what I need, I still have the Driver X boots also.

and for a hardshell, I like Arcteryx, they are more minimal/backcountry function than other companies, and are more fitted. not sure on your body type, but they are not like a box or square like a lot of coats out there.

Edited by Timeless61

I'd never pay top $$ for a hardshell jacket, I'm just too tough on my gear. As Neil says, you could try REI's store brands, but they're still pricey. I'd be looking on MEC's gear swap site for a gently used one, or online at Backcountry/Department of Goods or Ebay. Go into a retail store and try stuff on so you have an idea of sizing, and then see what you can find online.

If you want to save $$$ and you have the time, trawl the local board shops (maybe after Xmas) and see if they have a "previous years pile" of boots. Most of the shops here do. I got my Rides for $99 this way, and they're good boots. Again, boots are something you have to try on ... I was amazed at the difference in the sizing between brands. The women's Salomons ran almost 2 sizes smaller than the Burtons I tried.

Edited by Allee

what size boots do you wear? what kind of riding?

and what size coat do you wear? I have 2 good hardshells, both gore tex that I no longer use.

also, I did not see your price for jacket above, Arcteryx will be a bit more, but any good hardshell will be more than that new most likely.

Edited by Timeless61

Update:

So I shopped for several hours this past weekend. Bought a nice jacket, still looking for boots. Some thoughts:

I must officially be old now b/c I've always worn Burton jackets and they're ALL just too damn baggy for me now- even a size smaller is still baggy. Acertryx - I'm not sure why they're so expensive (and, as previously mentioned, not that functional).

I ended up with this: http://marmot.com/products/mantra_jacket_fall_2011 I love the way it fits and although it doesn't have Gore-tex, it should be fine.

Boots: tried on Nike Vapens and wasn't blown away. I'm constantly adjusting (usually as a consequence of tying too tight) and am excited about the possibility of getting some BOAs. Looking into it more.

softies: before I changed to hardboots (which I now use for everything - also for powder), I used the Salomon Malamuts. they were really nice.

hardshell: If you want superb top of the line material (= more expensive than your average jacket): take a look at carvecompany - especially designed for carving. I you want to pay the price for it, you'll probably have a jacket that will last a lifetime.

enjoy your winter!

For softboots I recommend Ride snowboards boots they last long and are really comfortable and there are a few that fit narrow feet really well. They all look pretty cool too and you could get good one for <$250 for sure. However, I would stay away from the speed lacing systems most of them that I have tried are a pain in the butt with the exception of the boa system only problem with the boa is sometimes they get a little loose after a few runs, I personally like lace-up or Velcro strap boots.

And for jackets I really like Ride Snowboards or I have also been wearing a ripzone jacket that is really nice and warm and has been put through a lot of abuse(like 160 days and slot of those days laying down turns) and still looks great! Im pretty sure it was over $200 though. My brother has a grenade and Burton jacket that is a bit cheaper but really nice and has lasted a very long time through abuse carving, in boardercross, and in the park it still looks new. I hope I helped!

I have skinny ankles and swear by Burton Driver X. I like a stiff soft boot, those and the Malamutes are the only ones I've ever tried on that feel up to the task. The fact that I take a size 25 - 25.5 depending on brand doesn't help matters... if you don't want to go as stiff, maybe the Imperial?

If you've got expensive taste in boots and are on a budget, get on backcountry.com's email list. You'll get a lot of junk mail but also the occasional "20% off anything" coupon code... which helps. Brought my Driver X's down to sub-$300.

On speed lacing systems:

The Boa lacing system is fantastic. This is my second season on Ride soft boots with it. I don't miss laces one bit.

My boots have the Focus Boa which is one cable for the foot and one for the boot cuff. I really like being able to adjust the tightness of the foot and cuff separately.

The Boa system does loosen up after a couple runs but it is no trouble to tighten as needed. I usually end up tightening mine a couple times and then don't have to touch it again.

I went to two different snowboard shops today in New Jersey. One of them was a local shop in Vernon and the other was a small chain ski/snowboard shop in Wayne called Ski Barn. Ski Barn has a large inventory of soft boots. I asked the clerk about two different pairs of boots that I would recomend.

1) Burton Driver X

2) Salomon Malamutes

The clerk told me that both pairs are very good for riding provided you wanted some of the stiffest boots on the market. He also said thatno local shops, including the one he works in, would have them in stock. It seems as though that most soft boot riders in my area want softer soft boots and no shop will stock firmer soft boots because they just don't sell very well. I don't know but it seems to me that if you want a good pair of firm soft boots you might have to order them from Burton or Salamon.

Update on my Ride Boot train wreck mentioned in this thread.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?36595-Anyone-have-experience-with-any-of-these-soft-boots

I'm now on my 4th pair of Ride Insano boots in 12 months. Each pair has lasted roughly 15 days before failing. Ride has also sent me a pair of the 2013 RFL boots and I've got about 6 days on them right now and they're cracking. I'm expecting my next pair Insano warranty boots to arrive in the next week and they're headed to ebay. I'm 42 years old and 150-155 LBS. I've never had so many issues with boots in 27 years of snowboarding. I like K2 and Ride boots because they fit well and they're really comfortable but it kills my back to be breaking in a new pair of boots every other month and with the RFL boots cracking within the first 5 days (I noticed the cracks on day 3) I'm thinking it's time to move on to something else. That BOA stuff is nice for ease of use but you can keep it as far as reliability.

Edited by Flow243

Update on my Ride Boot train wreck mentioned in this thread.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?36595-Anyone-have-experience-with-any-of-these-soft-boots

I'm now on my 4th pair of Ride Insano boots in 12 months. Each pair has lasted roughly 15 days before failing. Ride has also sent me a pair of the 2013 RFL boots and I've got about 6 days on them right now and they're cracking. I'm expecting my next pair Insano warranty boots to arrive in the next week and they're headed to ebay. I'm 42 years old and 150-155 LBS. I've never had so many issues with boots in 27 years of snowboarding. I like K2 and Ride boots because they fit well and they're really comfortable but it kills my back to be breaking in a new pair of boots every other month and with the RFL boots cracking within the first 5 days (I noticed the cracks on day 3) I'm thinking it's time to move on to something else. That BOA stuff is nice for ease of use but you can keep it as far as reliability.

Wow thats crazy I have never had a problem like that with my ride boots I have 160+ days in the ones I have now. I used them almost every day of the season last year I think I only missed 1 week

I know...I've used K2 Boots for the last decade and they've never given me any issues. I went for the Ride boots because they fit the same as the K2 boots and I assumed since they were the same company, they'd be with me for at least 150 days. I've got 5 screws in my left foot and it only likes the fit of certain boots and the K2s and the Ride boots fit really nice. I'm torn because they fit so nice. Do I put this pair on ebay and cut my losses or do I ride them and just shoegoo them back together when they fail? I'm tired of breaking in boots, that's for sure...

Edited by Flow243