Note to New Members ×

Gear that lasts.

Odd Job

I already know about the kevlar gloves, are there jackets/pants like that too?

I bought new pants this season, and it can't be from falling much, as if I ever blow an edge, in the past it's been the toeside, ... and cause the wear is to my left side of my left ass cheek.. or err hip.

9th day riding.. 9th day wearing these pants.... The waterproofy outercoat feeling is gone.. it feels like slightly furry fabric.... crap.... oh.. yeah.. my right knee is getting there too slightly... from toesides.... dammit!

You might go on the swoard and or pureboarding sites to see what clothing will last on laid out turns. Of course on the pureboarding video I think it is the passion of carving Joerg shows how he is tearing up gloves and pants. You should do fine riding a plate. You saw me do it. I might show up tommorow? You might be able to sew on a leather pad on the areas that your pants are wearing? Maybe some velcro on the leather and those areas and then you can replace the leather as it wears out? Or maybe some other material that slides well on snow that could be replaced as well?

I've had decent luck with Burton AK pants... the Staggers in particular. I've had two pairs each of which has lasted me 2 seasons or 120 days. Not all that is carving, as we get a lot of snow @ Bachelor, but I'm a sloppy rider whose clothing comes into way more contact with the snow than it should.

2nd place for pants - the really burly Patagonias - 60 days, 1 warranty repair after 40 days, totally worn through.

The new Staggers are a heavier fabric than I like so I am now trying the AK Cyclics. 20 days in, no visible wear... 10 of those days were spring carving, i.e., brutal on clothes.

Burton AK jackets - had one, lasted 2+ seasons.

Stuff I'll never buy again: aforementioned Patagonia pants, anything Helly Hansen (killed pants in < 20 days, snowboard jacket in 30 days, Odin high-end jacket lasted me less tha 2 seasons), 686 high-end pants (leaky), Salomon jackets (cuffs fall apart fast)

Just put some Sikaflex 252 (mix with Aceton to get a nice surface), Aquasure (Mcnet), Bison Rubber Repair on your pants and your problems will be over. Just put some tape on your pants first so you can mark a nice spot within you put the protection stuff..

Edited by Hans

Since my carving abilities have improved, I've blown through the rear knee and lead hip on all the pants I have, including a new pair of Arc'teryx after 4 days. Well, it least I know I'm doing it right.

My solution was to create kevlar patches from an old pair of Triple-Eight agressive skating knee pads. After ~48 days, it's still holding.

But I have no idea where to get the kevlar material to make more. Anyone?

If you can spend the money, you might checkout Remo Eberle's Carve Company: http://www.carvecompany.com

That's what Joerg and the Pure Boarding crew wear.

Edited by lafcadio

Just put some Sikaflex 252 (mix with Aceton to get a nice surface), Aquasure (Mcnet), Bison Rubber Repair on your pants and your problems will be over. Just put some tape on your pants first so you can mark a nice spot within you put the protection stuff..

Interesting. Do you think this would also work on gloves/mittens? Have you tried?

My ride pants have been amazing, I have ~150 days in them and they are just a bit faded but they are still waterproof and I have not torn them. I also have a ripzone jacket that has ~120 days in and its still looking great. My dakine gloves have held up pretty well too but I am going to need some new ones soon.

I have adjusted my technique so that I don't scrape my body over the snow aggressively anymore, for the reason that I was getting tired of trashing very expensive goretex jackets and pants through abrasion.

Living in the Pacific Northwest (or more accurately, the Pacific NorthWET), waterproofness and warmth are more important to me than laid out Eurocarves- I must be getting old.

Local carvers in Vanvouver have dealt with the clothing abrasion dillema in various imaginative ways- from the liberal use of Shoe Goo and Duct tape to the strategy of buying the cheapest outerwear that they can and treating it like a disposable armor layer. Some have gone the other way and bought enough body armor from local downhill mountainbike shops that they look like knights, and may even creak when they walk.

I met a local carver who was wearing the jacket and bibs that he uses for motorcycling touring as his alpine carving outerwear. I thought it was a smart way to do it, because the bike touring jacket and bibs had plastic and kevlar reinforcement over all of the same areas that he would wear out while alpine carving and, the suit was built for waterproofness as well. It also had the added bonus that it came with high vis 3M reflexite panels in the back, front and arms- which are useful here for carving at night.

Geo

Geo

I have some Volcom pants from a couple of years ago that are holding up amazingly well. Unfortunately I've had to have the seams on the sides of the Volcom jacket that I bought at the same time resown every season and after two seasons of riding the fabric on the sides of the jacket is pretty much toast. I'll be lucky if the jacket makes it through another season.

It's funny the jib crowd selling clothing in shops has no clue about how hard on clothing this type of riding is. When I go into a shop and indicate I am looking for tough clothing because I'm a carver and laying flat on the snow at 50-60km/h is destroying my jackets; the salesperson shows typically shows me some flimsy looking jacket with single stitched seams. :smashfrea

When I tell them that's not going to cut it, they give me this incredulous look and respond with "are you kidding me this stuff is designed for going through trees." :freak3:

I'll need to buy a new jacket next season. Not looking forward to doing this again. I'd like to support alpine companies like the Carve Company who are making alpine specific clothing but I'm a little leery of dropping that kind of coin on something that I haven't tried on for sizing first.

I like the idea of some cordura motorcycle touring clothing that might be an option to explore.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

I've had the same problem, I literally tell then.. "yes.. on heel sides my entire body is rubbing the snow.. toesides.. it's like you're almost laying flat on your face.".. I don't think they ever believe me, lol.

I have some Volcom pants from a couple of years ago that are holding up amazingly well. Unfortunately I've had to have the seams on the sides of the Volcom jacket that I bought at the same time resown every season and after two seasons of riding the fabric on the sides of the jacket is pretty much toast. I'll be lucky if the jacket makes it through another season.

It's funny the jib crowd selling clothing in shops has no clue about how hard on clothing this type of riding is. When I go into a shop and indicate I am looking for tough clothing because I'm a carver and laying flat on the snow at 50-60km/h is destroying my jackets; the salesperson shows typically shows me some flimsy looking jacket with single stitched seams. :smashfrea

When I tell them that's not going to cut it, they give me this incredulous look and respond with "are you kidding me this stuff is designed for going through trees." :freak3:

I'll need to buy a new jacket next season. Not looking forward to doing this again. I'd like to support alpine companies like the Carve Company who are making alpine specific clothing but I'm a little leery of dropping that kind of coin on something that I haven't tried on for sizing first.

I like the idea of some cordura motorcycle touring clothing that might be an option to explore.

Dave

Nice thought, but that stuff is heavy.

No argument there. But I thought removing some of the impact protection would possibly reduce some of the weight. And the heavier weight cordura impact points would help keep the stuff from wearing. After just about getting clipped once last season I'm liking the idea of a jacket with some built-in armor. Compared to anything alpine motorcycle gear is reasonably common so prices on it should be lower as well.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

I believe the Carve Company stuff incorporates cordura (but I don't understand German so I may be mistaken).

Correct Cordura and leather, I just watched Revo's video on the new suits. They are also using leather in butt and some other locations. Their are awesome but also very $$$

I wonder when they come out with gloves?

Edited by GeoffV

... :smashfrea

Dave

This suggests a version of roshambo: "people cut trees, clothes cover people, trees pierce clothes"