Note to New Members ×

BTS for UPZ Boots?

Aracan

Dear BOL,

has anyone successfully adapted a BTS for UPZ boots? And if yes, how did you do it?

The reasons I am asking:

One, I love the fit of my UPZ. They fit my feet better with stock liners than the Indys did with TF liners. And the way they grab my heels is simply great. But I find them a tad too stiff.

Two, I have a pair of BTS on hand. Note that I'm talking about the Bomber BTS, not the ACSS originally meant for Head nor the other ACSS for Deeluxe boots.

So, any ideas?

Aracan, I've also been waiting for someone to experiment and rig the UPZ RC10's with BTS. I find the flex is good but not...dynamic, for lack of a better word; essentially it flexes but isn't that responsive and the feedback is a little blah as well as having limited range. Don't get me wrong, I love these boots but a little fine tuning would help I think. Have you had these on the snow yet? Wearing them at home I found them fairly stiff but then on the snow was a different story and felt much better.

In my searches I've only come across ACSS mounted by Arnaud but this wasn't a complete mod as you'll see in the link below. Looks like the issue is anchoring the bottom of the system.

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8436

Hilux,

I have the RX8 (predecessor to the RC8, with a slightly different liner and the 3rd buckle slightly forward). Yes, I have had them on the snow, otherwise I wouldn't dare say anything about the fit. Still, I think I could profit from a bit more flex. I suspect the springs in the stock system are too stiff (and maybe too short) to really do much for me at about 150 lbs.

I have also seen the mod on the EC forum. Basically, they took an ACSS for Head and added a block at the bottom so it could be screwed to the shell. The protrusion on the lower part of the UPZ shell seems to be too slight and too far down to simply drill through it and use a mounting pin.

When all is said and done, this brand has become very popular over the last few years, so, like you, I wonder when someone will start playing with this issue?

Hi Aracan,

AFAIK it would be quite complicated to fit BTS to the UPZ boots. There is the Rabanser spring system. My brother's got one, but it takes some time to get one and my brother says it's too stiff, at least with stock springs.

Already tried softer tongues? That should be enough.. my wife's got an RC8 with red tongues, and she never complained about it being too stiff. I'm sure you can call Wolfgang for softer tongues or or just drop in in Lambach and get some.

Fruno,

thanks for the input! I was considering the red tongues. Is the difference between black and red really noticeable (stupid question, I know, but still)?

Also, Wolfgang seemed a very customer-oriented guy when I met him this spring, but I fear he will expect to be paid for a set of tongues. While I already have the BTS, from my previous boots.

Also changing the liner to a thermofit (I use Deeluxe 141s) will make the boot feel much softer as well. I've never ridden with the red tongue in my UPZ RTRs for carving but I have used it in my UPZ ATBs for free riding and it is much much softer than the black tongue.

Dave

Ah yes, very true indeed...I forgot about this! I ditched my stock liners (more because the plastic on the tongue caused severe bruising) and put in a set of old Raichle thermo's. Much softer not to mention comfortable.

Thanks for all the answers! I don't think I will change the liners, the stock ones fit just too well.

I did develop a sensitive spot on the rear shin after my second day in them. On the third day, I took to pushing down the tongue into the shell after each run - no problems after that.

I'll first try the red tongues, and if that isn't enough, maybe the springs themselves can be changed - thanks to Fruno for the suggestion!

Hi all

Yes, the protrusion at the base of UPZ shell is not high enough to use it to fix the rod with a pin. It's necessary to add a part at the base. On the pictures shown on EC.com it was a simple part made in a U-profile in aluminium.

Now I use a stronger part milled in a 15x15 mm block. The part is threaded.

Note that the shell has a small rectangular just above the protrusion, used by the original system. The bottom part I made has a little tongue that fit inside this hole.

I'm interested further regarding this point . . . my UPZ boots are seriously painful . . . I thought it was the actual boot plastic and was prepared to trim (dremel the plastic).

Essentially, the plastic on the tongue was really digging in to the top/side of my foot. I tried repositioning the tongue with the velcro but nothing helped. I also found they stiffened the boot quite a bit. I tried to ride it out but after 3 times out it was unbearable and my feet were literally bruised from this. Aside from the bruising, the liners were great (heel cup and fit up leg) so it was quite a disappointment after spending full pop on these. At first I swapped the liners from my dalbello's (fairly generic ski boot liner) and it made a world of a difference. I had a pair of beat up Raichle Thermo's that were a size too big but figured I'd give them a try and it worked wonders. The Raichle's really softened the boot up considerably, almost too soft.