Note to New Members ×

fastest you've gone?

theboarderdude

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say for sure, though I know there are some people here that have been clocked with radar guns. I would guess that I top out around 40, and daily carving on my relatively small SCR board is (I bet) quite slow, maybe 12-15 mph. As an old married man, I'm all about low and slow these days ;-)

There was a thread on this last year. I downloaded a free app called Ski Trax and clocked myself at 61.2 last season. It's hard to find a run where you can gain that much speed as well as slow down safely. I'm also now sure of the accuracy of this app, I should turn it on while driving and compare it to the speedometer of my car.

Back in the "Late Earlies" (89'-97') on a run at Crystal Mountain Wa know as Little Portillo... I am certain, I achieved Mach-90 on numerous occasions! Scary fast with a compression at the bottom that would eat the best skiers and boarders if you didn't respect it. Love that Mountain!

This is a pic from 93'. A spring day launching into Portillo. It was a long low flying entry (like the downhill ski racers) as the hill breaks over hard and into a steep pitch immediately. Trusty Green Air 6.1. Just out of shot on the left are three ski patrollers supervising the fun!

post-8448-141842372705_thumb.jpg

Edited by slopestar

I've been dieing to find out how fast I can go on a snowboard.

I don't have a gps or a Smartypants phone & usually ride by myself.

Pretty sure I've done 100/kph on my home made longboard though.

It didn't seem like I was going near as fast as I can on a snowboard.

Even though it was a bit scarier, dump trucks don't drive around on ski slopes.

Here is one of the bigger hills in my hood.

https://vimeo.com/30238073

post-11922-14184237277_thumb.jpg

This was my home made bomber, someone stole it out of the back of my truck.

TT

62.8 on flat ground.. Lots of day in the 70s and 80s on hills though, Via multiple gps readings. I think 2.2G as well via the g meter..

Bordy -- just curious what run on what ski slope did you hit these speeds? or where? Just curious to the length of the run, time it takes to come up to 70 mph (acceleration cant be all that great ) and then of course slow down and stop to get back on the chairlift. I am asuming you are in units of MPH -- not KPH.

Bordy -- just curious what run on what ski slope did you hit these speeds? or where? Just curious to the length of the run, time it takes to come up to 70 mph (acceleration cant be all that great ) and then of course slow down and stop to get back on the chairlift. I am asuming you are in units of MPH -- not KPH.

Lots of spots around Park CIty, Snow Bird have the pitch to hit 70 at will, even at stratton...(Flatton) we could get into the high 60s. My fastest recorded speeds have happened on the prepped DH course at Snow Basin after Mens events after the upper pitch into the compression. I have gotten after it, after womens events also but they dont use the upper pitch so there isnt the same speeds. I am sure 70 p-lus is also easy in several spots in Aspen, I once had a Jacket rip from flapping there, but have never brought a gps there.

I think the current straight line record is like 125mph on a board. And around 156 on skiis. During Down hill event you are still turning and looking for speed. If there wasnt a course to follow speeds would be much higher. A couple of my kite buddys are Downhillers. Thoose guys just try and get big to be faster becuase you can still go faster on many of the courses, but you need to maintain control to edge.

The G meter was floating around at a race in CO one year I think it was Fins. He tried to sell them on the website here for a while.

I ride much differntly then Most carvers, Turning just aint what it used to be some days, Plus my gear is made to go faster then most, with huge radius, race board contruction in bigger lengths then most ride. Oh right and I will point it straight down anything........ As always come ride with me anytime to see what I am about..

Edited by Bordy

Lots of spots around Park CIty, Snow Bird have the pitch to hit 70 at will, even at stratton...(Flatton) we could get into the high 60s. My fastest recorded speeds have happened on the prepped DH course at Snow Basin after Mens events after the upper pitch into the compression. I have gotten after it, after womens events also but they dont use the upper pitch so there isnt the same speeds. I am sure 70 p-lus is also easy in several spots in Aspen, I once had a Jacket rip from flapping there, but have never brought a gps there.

I think the current straight line record is like 125mph on a board. And around 156 on skiis. During Down hill event you are still turning and looking for speed. If there wasnt a course to follow speeds would be much higher. A couple of my kite buddys are Downhillers. Thoose guys just try and get big to be faster becuase you can still go faster on many of the courses, but you need to maintain control to edge.

The G meter was floating around at a race in CO one year I think it was Fins. He tried to sell them on the website here for a while.

I ride much differntly then Most carvers, Turning just aint what it used to be some days, Plus my gear is made to go faster then most, with huge radius, race board contruction in bigger lengths then most ride. Oh right and I will point it straight down anything........ As always come ride with me anytime to see what I am about..

not questioning your data...again just curious to the dynamics here.

How long in seconds do you think you are running at 70 MPH on a run?

As always come ride with me anytime to see what I am about..

I always heard that his riding was top shelf

And Lord I just could not wait to find out for myself

Don't knock it til' you tried it, Well I tried it my friend

I'll never ride alpine with Bordy again

:D

My "top" speed.... 55ish with a gps at snowmass, accuracy.. no idea.

Edited by Mellow Yellow

Bordy, your reference to Stratton "even at stratton...(Flatton) we could get into the high 60s" was this during the early 90's SnowMeister race?

I shot a few FIS speed snowboard events (it's not an official FIS event, I know, but there is FIS supervision). The speeds there are not maintained for very long and they are way, way higher than I have ever seen anyone approach on an open piste. The courses are carefully designed with limited top speeds: you're not trying to break world records in competition these days, just to win on the course. There's no turning as such; you can trim with your fingers, but don't even think about standing up.

The timed section of a speed course is relatively short, I think it's a 100m section about two-thirds of the way up the course. The remaining two thirds of the course are for deceleration.

Getting a peak speed reading from a consumer device has some limitations.

Bordy, your reference to Stratton "even at stratton...(Flatton) we could get into the high 60s" was this during the early 90's SnowMeister race?

Oh the snow meister..... Kildy won it one year and I had to stare at the big check hanging on our wall in waterville valley for a while.... I wanted to win that thing so bad....

I remember at a bunch of SG events and probably the SM event there where radar guns out. Thats how I remember the speeds being over 60.

C5, I really dont know, I just ride with my GPS some days and look at it every now and then. There are days I just go out and haul asssss all day. I point and tuck some groomers top to bottom at lots of resorts then check the speed at lunch or on the chair. I am cool going as fast as I can for as long as I can when the conditions and the logistics allow it.

I started carrying a GPS when I broke the Kite snowboard speed record at 62.8 mph in only like 30 mph of wind. I borrowed a bunch of gps cuz we needed three to be verified, And a friend let my keep his extra so I play with it some times.