Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2012/13

pan

Bluebird day, super packed runs off the Lions chair. I tagged a kid's skis from behind when she veered into my line. Nothing serious but I got scared when she started crying after I got off my board to check on her. Turns out she cried because she was scared, not because she was hurt. Phew. Her mum was awfully cool about it; asked how I'm liking my new camera to diffuse the situation :). I apologized to the kid, dusted myself off and away we went. That's the last for Colins for today.

I stayed on the runs off Eagle for the rest of the time. Surprised I lasted until 3.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I couldn't carve the snow on Oahu, and didn't carve the waves yet, but I carved some delicious short ribs last night!

There, at Waikiki, I discovered Roy's best kept secret :D We all think he works in Alberta - no sir! He's got a prestigeous restaurant. The proof is in the picture ;)

post-1678-141842379127_thumb.jpg

Are you guys riding, or everyone is slacking when I'm away? ;)

Another "Roy's" spotted here, at the Big Island!

Tony and Pierre wold love conditions over the last few days - 20-30 knots of wind all the time.

Some big big waves and brave surfers spotted at Sunset Beach, north shore Oahu...

Kiters going crazy...

Lots of rain, coldish ocean...

We played some tennis in very gusty winds, between 2 rains. It was clownish, at the best :D

Might drive up the volcano tomorrow.

Maya and I are celebrating my 49th birthday tomorrow by spending the whole day up on Grouse- we're planning to hit the Gondola at 0900 right after the ski wee hordes have been loaded.

There's been 11cm of fresh snow today and more coming tonight and tomorrow- so I am packing the ATV and some softish Raichle 125's with yellow Bomber springs to play in the trees and through the short steeps... I'm also planning to bring up a lot of Aleve as a minor concesssion to my coming middle age.

celebrating my 49th birthday tomorrow... I'm also planning to bring up a lot of Aleve as a minor concesssion to my coming middle age.

from Wikipedia: According to Collins Dictionary, this is "... usually considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60".[1]The current edition of the Oxford English Dictionary gives a similar definition but with a shorter span: "The period of life between young adulthood and old age, now usually regarded as between about forty-five and sixty." The US Census lists middle age as including both the age categories 35 to 44 and 45 to 54, while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson saw it ending a little later and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65.

Hawaii saga continues...

As promissed, I vent carvng the waves, finaly. Or I should rather say, waves carved me ;)

This surfing business was certainly one of my most humbling sporting experiences. Almost as bad as when I took a h/boot snowboard on a very first attempt, down a frozen black diamond. At least, this time I waited for the right weather and smaller surf...

Anyways, after many, many attempts, I was able to get up on the front foot and rear knee and let the hands off - yey, Kahuna! Tomorrow I'll rent the biggest longboard I can find, instead of the 9 footer I had today.

post-1678-14184237983_thumb.jpg

One big advantage of surfing on snow is that most of the rocks are invisible and there's no coral! I remember the first time I rode standing to the beach at Sayulita and suddenly realized that the bottom was really rocky and really shallow.:eek:

I also remember being impressed by how much fiberglass there was on the bottom of the bay at Hookipa while snorkeling on a calm day.

Luka started with Ski Club today - lots of play time for dad :)

3 hours in the AM on skis (tagging along with future racers, at times), 2 hours Coiler/Apex in the PM.

Pretty hard packed, but very carvable snow. Some icy stuff started showing through after 11am, from scrapings... Midway was the best, as usual on the weekends. Didn't check JJA today - spent all day on the Lions side.

Sunny, crowded but not crazy.

Next ride, probably Wednesday...

Tony, Kaz, Boris...

4wd, f2 Equippe 178, Coiler Chubby 177, Coiler AMT 177.

No crowd. Foggy at the base, sunny on the upper parts of the runs... Hard, but not frozen, pack. Some cookies / crunch on the steep part of Jja.

Tony's toe carves look da bomb, now!

Kaz solid as always. When I left, I left the Chubby with him, for some extra fun.

Coilers showdown: Chubby vs. AMT

Apex plate went back to Ontario, so I rode the Chubby without. It still performed like a champ. Edge hold is phenomenal, especially the heel side for some reason (noticed that with the plate on, too). Can handle any speed and easy to change the turn shape.

Amt, so similar in overal dimensions, is a very different board. Extremely easy to ride, lightening fast initiation (even cought me by surprise once). Can turn way tighter then 12m radius would suggest, but can open up the turn shape more then it would be logical to expect. Noticeably softer between the bindings then Chubby... Edge hold is slightly less, but ease of ride compensates for that.

8:45am-2:30pm

Patrick, Roy, Boris on boards, Luka at the ski club.

Coiler T custom, WCRMw, Kessler BXn, Techno Pro skis...

No crowd in the morning, filled up later. Sunny. Amazing low layer (inversion) of cloud/fog down at the city, looking like an ocean...

Snow softer and cruncy on top (poor hold), hardpack under (poor hold).

I got just 2 runs in due to my own stupidity with bindings and some admin problems with school... Roy had a lazy afternoon too. Patric had a ball on his new board.

having a fun weekend at sun peaks; sunny weather, nice groom, and wide open slopes with minimal bodies. such a departure from the coast. great carving mountain; i'm jealous. ran into george of all people - nice to meet you finally! saw three other hardbooters on slope, and also ran into brett tippie (ex alpine racer / mtb icon), who was mc'ing the snowboard big air comp. rad guy; rides kesslers too.

also - broke a bail on my td3's at the top of a run (end of day, fortunately). good times one-footing it to the bottom...

having a fun weekend at sun peaks; sunny weather, nice groom, and wide open slopes with minimal bodies. such a departure from the coast. great carving mountain; i'm jealous. ran into george of all people - nice to meet you finally! saw three other hardbooters on slope, and also ran into brett tippie (ex alpine racer / mtb icon), who was mc'ing the snowboard big air comp. rad guy; rides kesslers too.

also - broke a bail on my td3's at the top of a run (end of day, fortunately). good times one-footing it to the bottom...

I forgot mention to Geo that you were there to...:o Glad that you guys run into each other.

What's the matter with u with broken :confused: binding and boards, it's supposed to be me with the extra pounds in my belly :rolleyes: doing that (knock on wood)...Glad to hear that u r ok. Which part and which side that u did? Pix to share maybe, thx.