Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2012/13

pan

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luka and me did our usual ski Saturday.

First day for Luka, trying new snow suit, new 3-buckle boots. It was a mission to find performance boots in small size that he needs! He hated his custom insoles, but was completly happy without any?!? Skis are almost too short already, but the flex is now bang-on, so we'll stay with those this year. He goes at (his) will from carving 2 edges, to cheating with "pizza" initiation, to bombing the hill, but never to daddy's instruction... We did few laps of Easy Rider, Panorama and Collins. Snow is very good on all of them (better where there are no guns!), very carvy and a tiny bit slow.

Hill looked a lot better then few day ago, with fresh snow over last few days and guns blasting full speed. Upper and mid Bowen are skiable already, Rainbow had few shrubs, Midway not groomed but looking good. Raven side needs just a bit more to close the last of the rocks. We are in business!

We ran into Patrick on his 4WD...

I think that I saw another alpine rider with a ski pole. This must be already 4th or 5gth rider I've seen with a pole(s) this year?! Has Boardski had a clinic at Cypress, or what? :D

My insurance runs out tonight @ midnight & I'm a little short.

So...

Does anyone want to buy my Palmer Titanium Chanel deck?

Needs to be a local sale so I'm able to drive tomorrow.

This board is brand new & has never been ridden, there was the original sticker on the bottom before I had it waxed & the edges sharpened. I wanted them to save the sticker for proof that it was brand new but they threw it away.

The top sheet is a bit scratched up from years of being in a closet, but the base is immaculate.

I'm looking for $150, pretty sure you could ride it for a year or two & still get your $150 back if you wanted too.

I've ridden my other one 2wice & it's a Ferrari!! Mine has flames on it though, so it might be a bit faster;)

I will even throw in a gift certificate worth $40 of tech-shop service @ Sportchek.

You guys all probably wax your own gear, but the base grinder is pretty good!!

I did my best to hook all you guys up with super cheap seasons passes.

Hopefully Karma will come into affect here.

Come on help a brother out. This is the first pass I've had in 15 years.

I will post up some pics shortly

ah; i've already got a 164, alas. great versatile boards. someone grab it!

Purty good deal for a spare!

Unless you ride solo all the time, you must have a buddy that needs one of these?

What size are you? I have a tonne of jackets & pants.

I'm grasping at straws here, no insurance.

I throw somethin' in.

Well if he's really picky, he won't want this one & he'd never be happy even if he paid $10

The top sheet it pretty marred up, & it has binding marks on it.

Before I had it waxed, there was the original business card sized price tag still on the base.

I told them to wax right over it because it was on the underside of the tip of the nose.

They didn't.

It's still a brand new board, but that's why this one is $150.

The one I wanted to keep is in the best shape of all of them.

He can have mine for $300.

My camera sucks, but I'll see what I can do.

post-11922-141842377308_thumb.jpg

The tail looks far worse in the pic than it does in person.

The Silver is a super thin sheet, all the material underneath it is still there & undamaged

The original sticker price was $799, if my insurance hadn't just run out, I'd be askin' more.

I guess I'll take some pics of the Silver & White one too.

post-11922-141842377304_thumb.jpg

Link doesn't work for me. No Facebook either...

Anyways, Tony, Kaz and me were up there today. Toys: 3800, Ogasaka, WCRM 173

Softish hero groom in the morning, all chopped, mini-bumped by lunch... We were falling in each others tranches too :)

Hill is starting to look good now. Rainbow and Bowen covered (but not groomed). Raven side is getting ready, too (1, 2, 3 covered, 4, 5, 6 still showing some rocks). Midway wasn't running, so we were stuck to JJA...

Funny, my stance seems to had grown longer from last season... Over 20" for carving, now...

Snowboarding is riding a board on snow. Well, there was plenty of snow this morning. 18" of dry freshies off Raven Chair, which meant great pow runs, the essence of snowboarding fundamentals.

Bluebird.

9:00 to 9:45 virgin pow

9:45 to 10:30 chopped pow

10:30 to noon ho-hum groomers

At noon heavy fog rolled in.

Weapon of the day: 2005 Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm dedicated pow deck with 2012 Burton Prophecy bindings.

18" of dry freshies off Raven Chair...

That's my luck... All that pow and I'm sitting at the clinic, fixing the computers after a semi-crash of the system...

Weapons of the day: Keyboard, mouse, telephone, coffee :(

Should be up there with Luka, on skis, in the late morning, tomorrow.

We got to the hill really late, which turned out to be a good idea - wind eased off a bit and some people already left, leaving empty spots at the "rock star".

There was about 12cm or more of chopped up fresh and coming down all day long. Sweet conditions developing! Crowd was way less then one would expect on Saturday.

Luka was throwing most amusing (for other people) tantrums. of course, that was a lot less amusing for the dad :( Yet, he did well. We did multiple runs of Easy Rider, bottom of Collins, Panorama, Windjammer, Maille Ricker...

No familliar faces spotted...

On the way back, we gave a lift to Ausie instructoress Nickie.

Went up on Saturday. My shins are still bruised from last week so I decided to ride in softies for the day; first time riding in softies on Cypress. And being in softies, I had the chance to explore terrain that I can't otherwise ride in HBs. The runs off the Raven chair were really good. Charged hard and had a grand ole time.

I spotted a couple of unknown carvers weaving through the trees. They reminded me of a couple of things on my to-do list for this season: learn how to ride in powder and/or through the trees, in HBs, of course.