Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2012/13

pan

...my to-do list for this season: learn how to ride in powder and/or through the trees, in HBs, of course.

I can take care of that ;)

Wednesday is supposed to be a huge pow day, can you make it?

I'll try for an early start. If it didn't work out, then just after 10am. Anyone else in?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.

Seriously though, these secret runs are tricky- you have to know the exact line and stick to it, otherwise it takes nothing to get you turned around and lost, and potentially going into out of bounds terrain that can really mess you up. Not to mention the not so small matter of getting you pinched by the ski patrol and getting your lift pass revoked.

If you're gonna go out of bounds, go with someone who knows the run and the score, and be smart about it - you don't ever want to be "That Guy" who made the evening news...

Plenty of "secret" stuff inbounds, though, just need to know where to look.

Do not go out of the bounds please, Cypress can be deadly. If you absolutely must, then follow George (that's if you can keep up ;) )

Edited by BlueB

+1 what all the guys said.

A snowboarder has been lost since Sunday. They still haven't found him.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Search+missing+snowboarder+shifts+after+fresh+tracks+found/7712233/story.html

P.S. Today was day #1 on the Prior 4WD - 169 cm. Not an ideal day for it, because there was a couple of inches of fresh, which made the snow a bit soft.

Edited by Cousin of Beagle
Snow! Snow! Snow!

+1 what all the guys said.

A snowboarder has been lost since Sunday. They still haven't found him.

P.S. Today was day #1 on the Prior 4WD - 169 cm. Not an ideal day for it, because there was a couple of inches of fresh, which made the snow a bit soft.

Missing snowboarder on Cypress Mountain has been found safe.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Search+missing+snowboarder+shifts+after+fresh+tracks+found/7712233/story.html

I wonder if he have to pay for the rescue cost and lost all his previlage for CM.

Have fun but watch out,

RT

Plenty of "secret" stuff inbounds, though, just need to know where to look.

Do not go out of the bounds please, Cypress can be deadly. If you absolutely must, then follow George (that's if you can keep up ;) )

What Boris is alluding to is my 20 plus years of hiking out of bounds at Cypress Mountain to "get the goods". To be fair, I started accessing out of bounds terrain at Cypress in the late 80's because the mountain didn't actually allow snowboarders on the lifts. I still have my "special pass" from Cypress from around 1991 or so that shows that I have passed the safety test with my snowboard and am not a hazard to the skiers....

Because Cypress Mountain is actually on Crown land, and part of a BC Provincial Park, you can technically still hike out of bounds legally- you just have to get a complimentary park access pass from the ticket office to access the trails outside of the ski area. You also have to be willing to take the responsibility for yourself in the backcountry- even though North Shore Search and Rescue is a volunteer organization and very well trained, the RCMP still has the option of laying charges and fees for a mountain rescue if they feel that you were endangering the public safety agencies or being irresponsible.

Not many guys from the carving crew have ever gone with me on a backcountry snowboarding outing, possibly because it's just so much damn work just to get 1 run done. I have a circuit that starts at the Hollyburn cross country parking lot, climbs Hollyburn Mountain, then drops down to Cypress Bowl, then climbs up to the top of Sky Chair, to then drop on the North Side of Cypress and come out on the Baden Powell Trail at the Cypress parking lot.

If you're fit, it takes 4 hours, if you're not, then it takes 8. I did it the first time this season, and it took me just under 6 hours- and I was popping Ibuprofen like they were M&M's all the way home.

Missing snowboarder on Cypress Mountain has been found safe.

I wonder if he have to pay for the rescue cost and lost all his previlage for CM.

Have fun but watch out,

RT

My guess is that he won't have to pay for the rescue costs, but if he's a season's pass holder he might get his pass revoked.

Not many people are aware that the costs of helicopter time from the military is not passed onto the ski resort or the search subject. The Canadian Forces are just doing their daily job, that's why we all pay Federal taxes. Private helicopter airtime though is another matter, their costs are usually billed to the BC Provincial Emergency Program (PEP), and they can be charged to the rescued person. To date, the Province of BC has not been able to successfully recoup the costs of a mountain rescue from anyone, though it's not from lack of trying. All of the Search and Rescue teams in BC are volunteer non-profit societies, who get funding from PEP when they go out on calls and rescues. North Shore Search and Rescue seems to to get the majority of the press, although there are 2-3 mountain rescue teams in the Lower Mainland with equal if not better capability.

To be clear, if you buy a lift pass at Cypress, then you have effectively entered a contract that agrees to not ski out of bounds, as well as sticking to the Alpine Responsibility Code. When you get a free backcountry pass for the trails and terrain outside of the ski hill, then you are agreeing to just use the trails and keep off of the ski runs. They should be viewed as mutually exclusive outings.

Do not go out of the bounds please, Cypress can be deadly.

That much I know from my buddies who volunteer for North Shore Rescue. I want you all to show me your secret place. Wait, that came out wrong. Whatever. Show me and you will be handsomely rewarded with a cup of joe, or a cold one or your poison of choice.

Anyway, glad that guy's rescued.

It's dumping in downtown Vancouver. I expect a report from you lucky bastards who got to go up today.

I expect a report from you lucky bastards who got to go up today.

From the "lucky bastard" No 2...

I got there late. Some interesting driving conditions (and drivers) on the way up.

Constant power otages made the Cypress operate only the Eagle chair, on the auxillary diesel engine. Played for few runs under the chair, down the Trumpeter and Horseman's. Pretty good, considering that everyone wzs there. Snow filling the tacks quickly...

Then, OUCH, whatever I hurt in my back yesterday and this morning, clearing all the snow in front of the house, reacted very negatively to the riding. Just bearly managed to side slip the rest of the run, in pain, and went home... Just as the Lions chair opened up! I can imagine how good was that after 16 hrs of accumulation!

Almost forgot the Dynastar 3800 169 at the parking lot (had to drive back after I already left the parking)...

As I had time, I decided to go through Vancouver to finish some business. What a mistake! It was a complete joke - people getting stuck everywhere (no snow tires), traffic close to stand still on the major streets. I mostly plowed my way through the back alleys. Yet, I finished my errand and got in time to pick the kid from school.

Popped a Voltarene for the back and had a nap. Still sore.

Raven chair was opened for the first time in 3 days.

POW!

12" - 18" dry & fresh (the couple of feet of fresh underneath was compacted).

Weapon of the day: Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm.

Hmmm.... I don't think I remember how to ride corduroy.

Edited by Cousin of Beagle
definitely not a corduroy week

We had a semi-pow day today. 10cm or so, of fresh overnight and still some coming down during the day.

Patric was up for 3-hour private, to learn the h/boots in pow, moguls, trees... You did great buddy!

We both rode my Nidecker Proto twins. I had to pray the board out of Patric's hands, at the end of the class :D

Meanwhile, Roy was playing around on his 4WD, shadowing the class here and there.

After the classes I switched to a, new to me, AMT 177, for few runs. The board plow-carved great.

Crowd was a bit less then one would expect on a powdery Sunday...

I think Roy might be back on the hill tomorrow with Gary. I'll come with Luka on skis, if he's in the mood... Sunny day on forecast, it will be a nice soft hero groom.

Luka and me went for skiing in the afternoon, Roy and Gary were there in the morning.

Nice hero groom, not too soft actualy. Crowded but not crazy...

Luka can now bomb (ouch) almost all parts of Panorama. Speed seems to entertain him now. He also can make it down the Midway without any problems.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Late report but better than never. I hit up Grouse on Christmas day with some friends. My first time up there in two years, I think. I don't remember there being so many groomed runs.

That was the first time I could honestly say I had fun on my 4WD. I'm not quite as quick on the bumps as my softy buddies but I can just rip through the wide open runs. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun on the cut. Yes, that cut.

Skiing with Luka... He had a good day. Even asked for more after we already retreated to the lodge for cookies and hot chocolate!

Lots of people... Midway wasn't busy, so we spent 1/2 of the time there.

Snow was great! Grooming was holding good at 12:00 when we arrived and was stil carvable by 4pm! Pack is at that awsome stage where it is not that soft anymore, but still not the hardpack! :)

____

Hey, Patric, The Cut can be fun on a turnier board when not crowded. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Awsome day at Cypress! Sunny, hero snow, well packed b ut not too hard, holding well into the early afternoon.

Crowd was HUGE. I've never seen the Cypress road parallel parked all the wa to Nordic area. All parkings full... Yet our favorite carving runs were managable, Midway being the least crowded.

Gang: Rod, George, Roy, Boris, Yoshi. We saw another unknown h/booter on an asym board, too.

Toys: SG BX, Coiler Classic M 179, Kessler 180, WCRM 173w, Coiler Chubby 177/Apex plate, WCRM 173, Rabanneser kiddo GS.

Yoshi was up for 2 hour lesson, extended to 3, did great. He'll sleep very tight tonigt :)

Plated board performed like a champ, detailed review later.

I also really enjoyed the lightness and liveliness of the non-plated WCRM metaltop, one of my all-time favorites. Then later, when I went to get it of the rack, I saw that tail edge popped out?!? Someone must have fiddled/bounced the board while on the rack - no other logical reason... :(

A very, very short ski day for Luka and me... We did ONE run, before an unexpected phone call terminated our fun :(

Anyways, big crowd, one layer of clouds below the lodge level and another very high up - unlimited visibillity. Soft packed snow, bumps already forming by noon.

Happy New Year, everyone!