Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2012/13

pan

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pan, how are you going to do this? Ski club normaly has gates training on Midway... Now, with a U14 race going on the Coyotee, maybe no ski gates on Midway.

Thx Boris. I didn't know there will be a race event. So, I guess I have to cancel the gate training. I will try to put it up again at the end of this month then. :(

Well.. Maybe you can have mine?

I'm not giving up on it yet though?

I don't think anyway. I've only got about 2 hours total on it.

TT

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I had the 163 3800, rode it in softies (back 2cm from center of sidecut) and hated it on the groomers. It floated nice in the soft stuff, and still plowed through late-day crud, but on a clean groomer, it acted like a bit of a b*tch (excuse my french). Folded the nose a few times, tail washing out on heelsides (major taper). I could never get it to rail which drove me a bit crazy. Anyway, my 172 Tanker kicks its arse in my books...and my lovely "Pri-Bor" with a bit of rocker in the nose kills them both.

Each person will have their own preferences. With many loving the 3800, it just may not be your cup of tea. There are others (like Charlie) that may pick it up off you if you decide to change to something else.

Heck, I haven't ridden my tanker yet this year...I'm wondering if it should be put up for sale...hmmmmm

-Gord

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I had the 163 3800, rode it in softies (back 2cm from center of sidecut) and hated it on the groomers. It floated nice in the soft stuff, and still plowed through late-day crud, but on a clean groomer, it acted like a bit of a b*tch (excuse my french). Folded the nose a few times, tail washing out on heelsides (major taper). I could never get it to rail which drove me a bit crazy. Anyway, my 172 Tanker kicks its arse in my books...and my lovely "Pri-Bor" with a bit of rocker in the nose kills them both.

Each person will have their own preferences. With many loving the 3800, it just may not be your cup of tea. There are others (like Charlie) that may pick it up off you if you decide to change to something else.

Heck, I haven't ridden my tanker yet this year...I'm wondering if it should be put up for sale...hmmmmm

-Gord

You are big and strong AND a racer. 169 would have been better size and flex for you, I guess...

Then, the thing is just a capable pow/freeride board that can carve the groom, with fine touch. No one should expect it to match the performance of a BX board or a stiff freeride like Steepwater, Vertigo, or similar...

Thx Boris. I didn't know there will be a race event. So, I guess I have to cancel the gate training. I will try to put it up again at the end of this month then. :(

Pan, the race is not on Midway, but on the Coyotee7 by Raven chair. The best is to check with Cypress Mountain management and Cypress Ski Club, if thay had any problems with it.

Pan, the race is not on Midway, but on the Coyotee7 by Raven chair. The best is to check with Cypress Mountain management and Cypress Ski Club, if thay had any problems with it.

I've discussed with Lili already. The ski club have their own event on lower Bowen, so there're not enough space to setup another course. I can only do it some other days.

Sorry Gord. Will try other date this month or April

:)

What angles do you guys run on your 3800s? Also, do you ride it in softies or not?

24 front and 21 back. I were a size 11 shoe but my 10 year old burton drivers are sized 13 (and fit perfectly, not sure about that one) so that is the lowest angle I can get to.

As far as boards in general I am not to picky and figure if I set it up correctly I should be able to ride anything that is not to soft. If the board is to hard (I have not run across one yet) just ride really aggressively and it usually performs, just watch out that you don't get stuck on a rail heading toward the woods. To soft on the other side is not so much fun and you can find yourself washed out on every hard turn. I once had a Hooger Booger back in the early 90's that I think I racked up more DNF's on in half a season than I did in my entire racing career. It had a soft flex and very soft torsion I could only do well on that board if the race course had big ruts and I road them instead of my own line.

I that note it was always good to follow Gtanner, He was well known for carving trenches :)

3800: 40 f, 20 r. I like a lot of splay for pow/freeride.

___

Hey ECC, was your Hooger a Grinder? I still have my original one, it is exactely as you described. However, it is a great learning board for aspiring carvers! Rides all-mountain pretty good too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1647&stc=1&d=1111110372

I also have a Booster, NOS, never drilled!

It turn out to be almost a disastrous day for both me and xy9ine :mad: Good thing both of us are ok.

I had a malfunction TD3 Toe Bail, luckily it happend on the bottom of Rainbow where I was already slowing down. One side of the threaded part came off from the lug, toe bail became loose and open by it self.

My toys of the day was my fav Coiler 173 (thx to surlyguy for switchand ;) and AMT-177.

Maybe xy9ine will post his story later and BlueB the complete story & pixs...

RT

Glad that you're OK Roy.

With a guy of your size and aggressive technique, it really pays to inspect your binding hardware and mounting plates more frequently than a "normal" carver.

Fin and the Bomber crew could probably use you as a benchmark tester for the long range durability of their gear- it could even lead to a standard of quality known as being "Scooby" proof...

Well, now I'm curious about xy9ine's story?

What, did some piece of his gear mysteriously break?

If you two & Blueb all had something either come loose, fall off or break?

Someone is definitely doing something to your gear.

Does hard boot gear get loose, falloff or break that frequently?

I had my ankle strap pop off earlier in the year, never thought much of it.

First time one's ever just popped off, luckily I wasn't riding it @ the time.

I was hiking up a really steep face, slamming my board into the snow above me & pulling myself up.

Slammed it in & it exploded, hardware everywhere, sliding down between my legs.

I actually had to stop moving for a second & assess the situation.

I could see all the pieces about 6-10 feet below me.

If I pulled my board out of the snow, the snow would bury all the pieces.

But if I left it in there & climbed down to get the pieces,

was I going to be able to get back to my board without my climbing utensil?

Left it in & hoped I could make it back?

I lived.

I would go see if they recorded any of it.

There are cameras there, I believe?

Don't know for sure, but I'd imagine they would.

If they don't have cams, I don't know? Set up your own?

Go undercover!

blueb could probably pass for Magnum PI?

I don't know where that came from, but the more I think about it?

I bet there are 2 pics where they look the same?

No offense B;)

Somethin's fishy that's for sure?

TT

roy noticed the td3 base wasn't sitting flush on the board - a couple of the inserts were pulling out. the topsheet was cracked around one; just raised around a couple others. decided it wasn't worth risking riding further.

i had an exchange w/ hansjuerg last night (great customer service - quick email replies) and he said bomber bindings had a tendency to do this (but he changed the insert design since to better deal with this). He also said that using the surrounding healthy inserts would be an acceptable solution for the time being as long as I keep an eye on it (I can screw to 8 inserts to distribute the load better if I slide the binding back slightly). He also suggested using F2 bindings instead. So; guess I'll try to keep it rolling for a bit and keep a close eye open for further damage.

Roy - good you kept the limbs intact; popping bindings is scary. The chundery conditions on days like that do put allot of stress through the hardware for sure.

Today was possibly the best carving day I have had in the last 10 years (admit idly I did take 7 years away from my race boards).

I was out on my Coiler 166 pure Race all day and digging trenches with hip to hip carves.

Did a few runs off the lions chair first thing in the morning but found the step sections of both rainbow and Horizon quite bumpy as far as grooming goes.

Switched over to Eagle chair and spent the rest of the day on Jasey Jay, upper and lower Fork and Cascade. The grooming was excellent and it was hero carving conditions for me!

It took me a while to dial in my heel turn but in the end I just had to remember to pressure the nose of the board a little more as I entered the turn and drive the front heal into my turn.

I was surprised that I didn't see one other person out carving today.

roy noticed the td3 base wasn't sitting flush on the board - a couple of the inserts were pulling out. the topsheet was cracked around one; just raised around a couple others. decided it wasn't worth risking riding further.

i had an exchange w/ hansjuerg last night (great customer service - quick email replies) and he said bomber bindings had a tendency to do this (but he changed the insert design since to better deal with this). He also said that using the surrounding healthy inserts would be an acceptable solution for the time being as long as I keep an eye on it (I can screw to 8 inserts to distribute the load better if I slide the binding back slightly). He also suggested using F2 bindings instead. So; guess I'll try to keep it rolling for a bit and keep a close eye open for further damage.

Roy - good you kept the limbs intact; popping bindings is scary. The chundery conditions on days like that do put allot of stress through the hardware for sure.

Thanks, yeah it was scary thinking about it after ...

BlueB & me discuss over your KST174 you might add longer live to it and still safe by using a Vist Plate. I have a VP on my Metal Prior, lmk if you wanna try...

RT

Today was possibly the best carving day I have had in the last 10 years (admit idly I did take 7 years away from my race boards).

I was out on my Coiler 166 pure Race all day and digging trenches with hip to hip carves.

Did a few runs off the lions chair first thing in the morning but found the step sections of both rainbow and Horizon quite bumpy as far as grooming goes.

Switched over to Eagle chair and spent the rest of the day on Jasey Jay, upper and lower Fork and Cascade. The grooming was excellent and it was hero carving conditions for me!

It took me a while to dial in my heel turn but in the end I just had to remember to pressure the nose of the board a little more as I entered the turn and drive the front heal into my turn. I was surprised that I didn't see one other person out carving today.

Thanks for the update, was making a plan but got stuck with other things and might not make it for tomorrow :(

3800: 40 f, 20 r. I like a lot of splay for pow/freeride.

___

Hey ECC, was your Hooger a Grinder? I still have my original one, it is exactely as you described. However, it is a great learning board for aspiring carvers! Rides all-mountain pretty good too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1647&stc=1&d=1111110372

I also have a Booster, NOS, never drilled!

I took a look back and only had one bad picture of my board here it is. I ended up selling it to a kid that was about 110 lbs and he loved it! If I am not mistaken he was only 13 at the time and went on to win a number of provincial GS races in the east on that very board.

post-11215-14184238765_thumb.jpg

Edited by eastcoastcarve

Argh, I'm going to have to sell the Dynastar 3800.

Having about 10 boards & a seasons pass doesn't do me any good if I don't have wheels to get there.

With it also being Spring now, & me being a real slutty gear whore.

I've bought about 3 or 4 boards in the past couple weeks

A Gnu Carbon Credit, & a couple of vintage boards.

So the 3800 has got to go for car insurance.

Just thought I'd throw it out to you guys first.

This one has even less riding time on it than the 169. All together about 2 hours.

It's in pristine condition, not a single scratch.

TT

On the same day, I finaly nailed the elusive 360 carved turn! I did couple. Weapon was the WCRM 173 metaltop.

Roy filmed the 2nd one:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rsU-aSks5eU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>