Note to New Members ×

Prohibition of snowboarding-dream or reality?

Tatoos

Curious about that happened in Taos since they started allowing snowboarding a few years ago. Does anyone know? Was it a non-event or was there a huge uproar? Since I haven't heard much about since the original announcement I tend to think it was more the former.

had brief periods, much earlier in our sport's evolution, when they allowed boarding, I think...

Don't know for sure about Deer Valley, but in my memory it's always been board-free with high-end dining, lodging and services for skiers only...?

Mad River Glen is still owned by a skiers' association as far as I know. Famously gnarly with little, if any, snowmaking and no grooming

BB

Meh. Go ask skateboarders about BMX riders - you'll get similar responses. And vice-versa. They each do their own thing.

Both skiers and boarders likely hate Alpine riders with all their quick turns and stuff! : pitchforks and torches: "Get off our mountain!"

People don't have a problem with snowboarders, they have a problem with youth. Now that skiing is cool and hip and young again, I wonder what Alta is going to do about that.

If Alta receives my tax dollars, then I should be able to play on it.

I bet alpine snowboarders could ride there and if questioned say it's a monoski.

"What if snowboards had been invented first? Then certain snowboard resorts wouldn't be allowing skiers on their lifts.... dumb." - Warren Miller

Curious about that happened in Taos since they started allowing snowboarding a few years ago. Does anyone know? Was it a non-event or was there a huge uproar? Since I haven't heard much about since the original announcement I tend to think it was more the former.

I wasn't there "when hell froze over", although some mates were and it was an event, but not ill-humoured or otherwise earth shattering. So you're right, in my view, in the grand scheme of things it was a none-event in the sense that we did not descend on the place and steal all their women etc.

It was pretty quiet when I was there for Ernie Blake's birthday bash a the end of last season (video below). There were very few snowboarders about and most of them I'd say would be kids there because their parents were there - they weren't strong riders.

So yeah, pretty much a none event. A fun place and no problems for snowboarding. I almost sold some of the ski racers on hard boots and bindings, which I doubt you can buy within a thousand miles of the place.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/39571213" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Aspen skiing company finally came around when the CEO learned how to snowboard himself and convinced the Crown Family ( the Owners )

to reconsider the Ban...which they did in 2001. Personally, to have spent many years there Skiing prior to learning to Snowboard, I had many heated and animated discussions with the Supervisors and Head management for being kicked off the mountain... not for the equipment, as Monoskis were and are allowed, but rather for my Stance of feet apart at 45 degrees! I spend the first and last part of every season up on Ajax and seldom does a day go by that someone does not say at some point going up a lift "Snowboarders should not be allowed up here" or " A Snowboarder ran into my Friend" ...I tell them to go down and please go somewhere else then... You cannot Talk to a Brick nor change its Mind

One thing, as far as I know this is a US only issue. Is that correct? Why would they do something like that? How much of a problem was it, and when? I didn't ride the US until 1990 or so, by which time I didn't notice a problem.

In Europe, there have always been people riding all sorts of things, and the idea that some of them would be allowed and others not seems quite alien. In the UK I used to have to ask permission to ride on the plastic slopes, but so long as you were not dangerous to other people they had no issue with it.

I really don't have a problem with any resort setting policies on what equipment can be used on their hill. If they can make a go of it skis-only, fine by me. I'll just go elsewhere.

"their" hill, fine. but not if it's my hill. Neil, your opinion holds the same regarding corps which are public land use permit holders? one of my favorite signs anywhere is the green banner that greets me at Loveland (in CO) that says; "welcome to your National Forest". my tax money is as green as any skiers and I will never understand how any ski corp operating on public land should be able to dictate discriminatory policies about that land's usage (unreasonably). you are paying for the use of the lift, not the land.

stating that you will just go elsewhere is redundant - in Alta (public land), you'll have no choice - that's the whole point. Private property (Mad River Glen and Deer Valley) is completely different, IMO.

To my understanding, there are alot of private mining claims at Alta, so I don't think that the entire mountain is National Forest service property.

Why not just go to Snowbird it's right down the road and has some pretty sick terrain anyways.

Let the uptight wanker two plankers have their little private clubhouse.

To my understanding, there are alot of private mining claims at Alta, so I don't think that the entire mountain is National Forest service property.

Why not just go to Snowbird it's right down the road and has some pretty sick terrain anyways.

Let the uptight wanker two plankers have their little private clubhouse.

a private clubhouse on public land. that is the problem, precisely.

One thing, as far as I know this is a US only issue. Is that correct? Why would they do something like that? How much of a problem was it, and when? I didn't ride the US until 1990 or so, by which time I didn't notice a problem.

In Europe, there have always been people riding all sorts of things, and the idea that some of them would be allowed and others not seems quite alien. In the UK I used to have to ask permission to ride on the plastic slopes, but so long as you were not dangerous to other people they had no issue with it.

Phil

Actually there was bans in many european resorts, most of them lifted gradually from 1985 till 1990. I had the chance to " open" Baqueira spanish resort in feb 1988 or 1989..Just happened to be there with my first hand made snowboard the day the ban was over. Funny rememberance was to be the only snowboard visible in what is a big resort...few days later I remember seeing a dude on a Burton cruize...we waved at each others!.

In France there is still a "ban" in some resorts that prevent snowboarders to ride certain lifts ( old plate lifts). It comes from the fact that on tricky lift track ( icy, frozen, very steep..) average snowboarders are likely to fall and get everyone behind in trouble..What you do is explain to the lift attendant that you are expert rider and negotiate your way up ( and cross fingers u'll make it...which u usually do but it can get tricky when you have a wide alpine board and two 3 inches frozen ski tracks uphill..)...other than that you are right: resorts are pretty open minded when it comes to tools to ride the mountain..you see pretty exotic stuff sometimes...

Nils