Nes 2013

Riceball

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just an FYI that I was contacted by Alexis in Greece to contribute to Carve Magazine once again. Given that I missed SES last year, I have submitted photos I took from NES last year. If he selects an NES photo of someone, I'll be contacting them for release approval. I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The RCR Loyalty cards were just released.

http://www.skircr.com/loyalty_cards/

For people coming from out of town if you purchase a Nakiska iSki card for $49.95 you'll be saving essentially $40 in lift tickets at Nakiska for the three days of riding there.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

Neil, we all feel bad for your horrible situation.

The RCR Loyalty cards were just released.

http://www.skircr.com/loyalty_cards/

What does this mean?

iSki card

* $10.00 Off Nakiska Lift Tickets Plus 1 Free Ski Day**

** One Free Ski Day per activated card may be taken at Nakiska only any time during the 2012/13 ski season.

I buy one card and get one day free? That sounds too good to be true.

Beyond that, the 'direct to lift' cards sound pretty darn convenient too. Any tips/tricks for them?

I buy one card and get one day free? That sounds too good to be true.

Yes. You buy the card for $49.95, and you get a free day of skiing at the Nakiska (you choose the day). After that you get $10 off of lift tickets you buy for yourself. Because lift tickets at Nakiska are normally $69.95 the iSki Nakiska card more than pays for itself with your first free day of skiing, and after that you continue to save as lift tickets will now only cost you $59.95.

The Nakiska iSki card is a really good deal if you are only going to be hitting Nakiska 1-4 times per season. If you are there 4-7 times the RCR Rockies Card becomes a better deal as your first, fourth, and seventh days are free. More than 7 days and you should be buying a seasons pass.

For you out of towners who are just coming for NES the iSki card is a great deal. Previous years I had thought they were only on sale until a certain date (sometime in December) but I can't find anything about that this year.

I've never actually used the direct-to-lift option mostly because I like to see how fast I can make my lift pass unreadable by scanners because I've been dragging my hip through the snow.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

The Nakiska iSki card is a really good deal if you are only going to be hitting Nakiska 1-4 times per season. If you are there 4-7 times the RCR Rockies Card becomes a better deal as your first, fourth, and seventh days are free. More than 7 days and you should be buying a seasons pass.

Or just buy two RCR cards and activate both of them. Then you get decent discounts at Fernie, Kimberley and KH as well. You do Days 2 and 3 at Nakiska because it's cheap and close, save your free days for the weekends you go to Fernie (because they're the most expensive tickets) and enjoy your season!!

I did the math on a season pass and I'd need to do more than 11 days at Nakiska for it to break even. I don't do 11 days at Nakiska in a season - there's too many other great places to ride. Now, if we can just get RCR to buy Whitefish, life would indeed be sweet ...

Or just buy two RCR cards and activate both of them.

Can you stack the savings per RCR card onto one lift ticket like that? Man I want to go to ride Fernie again, it's just so far from Edmonton. I've already picked up a couple of RCR cards this year (one for me and one for Leslie) but they are probably only getting used at Nakiska. And maybe I'll swing out to KH. More trips to KH next season when everyone in the family can run double blacks. :-).

I did the math on a season pass and I'd need to do more than 11 days at Nakiska for it to break even.

That seems like alot? Because the area is so comparatively small I wouldn't buy a season's pass at Nakiska either but I thought most places were set up so that buying a pass paid for itself passes in about 7 visits? This had to do with the overall industry considering someone to be an avid skier if they got out more than 6 times or something like that.

If my number is low its probably because I buy season's passes as early (and cheaply) as possible. I bought my pass for this season at Sunshine back in early May.

------

Being based out of Edmonton I can only dream of a reasonably priced pass that would let me hit Nakiska, Sunshine and Kicking Horse at will.

Cheers,

Dave

You'd need to ski more than 12 days to beat the Sunshine card with the early-bird pass. If you missed the early-bird deal, you'd have to ski more than 17 days. Stretch that out another day or so if you are mostly hitting up the super saver days.

Sunshine card is $85, you get 3 free days plus $65 tickets the rest of the time.

$85 + 9*$65 + 3*0 = $670

Early bird pass is $677

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

Can you stack the savings per RCR card onto one lift ticket like that?

Nope, but I run them separately. Do three days on the first card, swap to the second one, and do three days on that. Go to Fernie, use card 1 on Sat and card 2 on Sun. Then I usually run one card up to Day 7, and maybe I'll get enough riding to do the same to the second one.

Early season passes at Nakiska are $599, I think. They're $789 regular season. So I'd still need to spend at least 10 days at Nakiska to make it pay v just buying a lift ticket. And that limits me to just Nakiska. At least the RCR cards includes the other resorts - and having free days at Fernie (where the lift passes are $85 a day) is great.

The thing with season passes is that then you're stuck riding that resort, when the snow an hour down the road might be all time epic. And I get bored easily.:)

You'd need to ski more than 12 days to beat the Sunshine card with the early-bird pass. If you missed the early-bird deal, you'd have to ski more than 17 days. Stretch that out another day or so if you are mostly hitting up the super saver days.

Sunshine card is $85, you get 3 free days plus $65 tickets the rest of the time.

$85 + 9*$65 + 3*0 = $670

Early bird pass is $677

You're right and thanks for the correction. I shouldn't have bothered putting in price breakpoints regarding cards because I'm so far away from them I don't generally consider them and only bother with the undiscounted price. I'm buying family season passes not individual seasons passes on the early bird rates at ~$1500 a year and last season my family (4 people with 2 in the 6-12 range) put in 19 days at Sunshine (my wife actually put in 23 days). That would've cost me more than $4000.00 in undiscounted lift tickets or more than $3000 with two Sunshine cards. Either of these prices are so much greater than the seasons pass price that it basically becomes a non-issue.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

Nope, but I run them separately. Do three days on the first card, swap to the second one, and do three days on that. Go to Fernie, use card 1 on Sat and card 2 on Sun. Then I usually run one card up to Day 7, and maybe I'll get enough riding to do the same to the second one.

Early season passes at Nakiska are $599, I think. They're $789 regular season. So I'd still need to spend at least 10 days at Nakiska to make it pay v just buying a lift ticket. And that limits me to just Nakiska. At least the RCR cards includes the other resorts - and having free days at Fernie (where the lift passes are $85 a day) is great.

The thing with season passes is that then you're stuck riding that resort, when the snow an hour down the road might be all time epic. And I get bored easily.:)

I know what you mean on having options. I just go with the season's passes because if I didn't have them it would run me ~$200 to take the family up to Sunshine or to divert to another hill. At $400 for the weekend I wouldn't be out anywhere near as much as I am now. Having the season's pass basically feels like I'm only paying for gas. That and it's harder to get 4 people to a hill first thing and I feel like I'm wasting money if I pay for a lift ticket and don't get there for the entire day. With a season's pass I'm less concerned about being a little late or leaving a little early.

Dave

That would've cost me more than $4000.00 in undiscounted lift tickets or more than $3000 with two Sunshine cards. Either of these prices are so much greater than the seasons pass price that it basically becomes a non-issue.

It's definitely different when you have the family. That's a way better deal for sure ... now you just have to buy a condo in Canmore so you can stay for free as well. Do the math on THAT!! :)

There's snow falling, falling in the hills here. it's been snowing 5cm a night for the last week at pretty much all the local areas - a sold start to winter.

Hiya!

I would love to join for all three days but can only do Friday as I have to fly back to Japan Saturday morning. Still, hoping to enjoy one day among the Alberta carving crew (^_^)

Flywalker,

Look forward to seeing you at NES on Friday. It's always great riding with new people.

Cheers,

Dave

Would anybody be interested in having me put together a nice photo book of our event? I'll join Steve as a photographer this year (probably not nearly as good). I just finished a class, and the instructor had some examples from blurb.ca. They looked amazing... They do magazine publishing too.

If we got photo permission from everybody, you could just buy your own copy, shipped right to you. Bulk discounts don't kick in until about 12.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm hoping to make it out to this event this year.

For what it's worth, Costco has tickets for multiple resorts if you buy in Calgary and area. Lake Louise works out to about $60 a ticket tax in, Sunshine is about $65 a ticket tax in. Nakiska works out to be $53 a ticket tax in. Great thing is you get the lift tickets right at costco, so just head to the resort and right on the lift.

I bought a super pass this year $1270 or so incl tax by buying before June 6th or so. It includes all RCR resorts (Fernie, Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Kimberley) and Lake Louise. Last year I hit the slopes 30 times, this year I'm hoping to get up to 40+. Even at 30 days that's only $42 a day tax in and that's all the resorts I need to go to in a season! :D