Note to New Members ×

The worst conditions to ride in

jtslalom

When I go out on a totally crap day it's makes me a better rider...or at least that's what I've been telling myself.

I agree with you Ride guy. In my case beggers can't be choosers. I spent 2 1/2 hours in mush the other night and allthough my riding wasn't as good as it is on hardpack days, I still rode in it.

more often than not in the northeast, a big dump is accompanied by a clearing high pressure system moving through the next day.

and that means you get to your favorite ski area and the summit lifts are not running because of high winds :eek:

so, you take the intermediate lifts halfway up the mountain and board down at 7 mph :p

Edited by sic t 2

JT, you probably had ice when you dig in 6". So your edge is actually riding on ice, but with less pressure due to the sloppy snow slightly floating your board. Yeah, that's not very rewarding. For me, though, it's the icy stuff that forms (or really, reinforces and encourages) bad habits, like a straight back leg to be ready to control a skid.

Bad visibility gives me more trouble than almost any kind of surface (except the sastrugi on the west side of Bachelor's summit). I get "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" (I fail to see anything benign about it...) and in whiteout conditions, without stabilizing visual references, it is sometimes severe enough that I can hardly even stand up. Looking down to clip in seems to trigger it even in good light sometimes.

Bad visibility makes everything tougher even when my gyros are working - hard to read the snow, see bumps and ruts, or let the subconscious/peripheral vision handle much of the detail.

Bad visibility gives me more trouble than almost any kind of surface (except the sastrugi on the west side of Bachelor's summit). I get "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" (I fail to see anything benign about it...) and in whiteout conditions, without stabilizing visual references, it is sometimes severe enough that I can hardly even stand up. Looking down to clip in seems to trigger it even in good light sometimes.

Bad visibility makes everything tougher even when my gyros are working - hard to read the snow, see bumps and ruts, or let the subconscious/peripheral vision handle much of the detail.

I get this too, with the added bonus of nausea. Every run up Chair 1 at Whitefish this weekend has been whited out, and I've spent most of the day feeling slightly sick as a result. I once rode up the uber-long chair at the back of Sun Peaks in a whiteout, and when I got to the top, I couldn't stand up on the flat, and had to lie down with my eyes closed. Good fun, not.