Note to New Members ×

US Alpine Snowboard Team

Hasbin

Persona non grata, the mantle previously worn by all snowboarders, is apparently now solely owned by the alpine division, at least as far as the USSA is concerned. To my knowledge, there is little or no financial support directed to the alpine snowboard team through the corporate and private funding the USSA recieves. Why? That would be a good question to pose to the USSA, maybe make them aware that we are out here by asking via their website.

Likely it's a reflection of the percentage of hardbooters out there compared to everyone else on the snow. But, still, on their website they don't even acknowledge that the alpine team exists, never mind profiling the team! They do exist, barely, on passion for the sport and their own funding efforts.

Interesting too, in world cup snowboarding, there seems to be a greater number of athletes competing in the alpine events than in either halfpipe or boarder cross, especially in the womens division. Why is that?

Interesting topic. Ive been wondering for years why USSA falls so short of their duties in supporting snowboarding in general. They dont excactly make it easy for an aspiring racer to achieve goals. Canadian Snowboarding is a great example of how USSA should be doing it! I did one Canadian event a few years ago and it was a great experience. And, ever since they have been inviting me to upcoming events, and making the process easy by the way. USSA does not.

How about more regional events? How about making the jump from USASA to USSA more achievable? Its prohibitively expensive. How about enabling aspiring racers to actually have a chance to race more? USSA could be innovative in getting more people to race. I dont see many US alpine riders in WC results other than the bottom of the page. WHY? Is alpine snowboarding now an Austrian dominated sport? What about the United States? Didnt we kind of invent this sport? Cheers to Trappy and Tyler for their efforts though. I wish I was able to ride like that. I know there are some sick riders out there. But, like in SBX, most dont have the money to get to races out west. There just arent any SBX or alpine races on the east coast. We need more legit competitions on the east coast. And Im not talking about USASA stuff either.

Ive always had my grumblings about USSA. I think they suck. Go Canada Snowboarding!

Likely it's a reflection of the percentage of hardbooters out there compared to everyone else on the snow. But, still, on their website they don't even acknowledge that the alpine team exists, never mind profiling the team! They do exist, barely, on passion for the sport and their own funding efforts.

This is the likely reason, which is why Bomber has tried for all of our existence to promote the sport. The more popular it becomes, the more the US team will have to acknowledge it.

Offically it doesn't exist any longer. All of the racers that compete do so by their own will, and have no support from USSA. This is my understanding of it from USSA, but I could be wrong. Very sad indeed. If they promoted it more, then more athletes would be interested and it would grow. :mad:

jburrill,

You've raised a number of issues. The bottom line is funding. All the other countries, including Canada (since the run-up to the Vancouver olympics) have full government support for their teams, whereas the US gov, apparently for philisophical reasons, does not. I read in an interview with Jasey-Jay that funding made all the difference.

Although there are competing claims over who "invented" snowboarding, I believe the "alpine" refinment of the sport came from a couple of European guys, hence the "euro-carve". So, in a sense they had a head start and have dominated the sport, just as the "skate-board" style had it's start in the US where we have dominated. One could make the same argument for BX (an X Games invention).

I think the reason you don't see more FIS races in the US is because the USASA currently fulfills that entry level competition. The way I understand it is USASA exists because the USSA (a ski organization) was unwilling to recognize snowboard racing early on, probably hoping they would just go away, so they did. The USASA manages to partially fund a team of their top young riders through corporate sponsorship.

The continental cup races; ie, NorAm cup, Euro cup, etc, are coordinated amongst the countries participating under FIS (international ski/snowboard federation) rules. The NorAm "race-to-the-cup" alternates hosting venues throughout the season between the US and Canada. There are two east coast NorAm races coming this Feb (Le Relais, Quebec and Holimont, NY) as well as the Canadian stop for the World cup at Stoneham, Quebec. NorAm races are used as qualifiers to compete in the world cup.

Also, note that in the US stop for the world cup in Telluride last month the top US finisher in alpine (men and women) was a woman, not Tyler or Trappy. The US women also filled out the upper ranks in the two US hosted NorAm races so far this season.

FIS results:

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/disciplines/snowboard/results.html?place_search=&seasoncode_search=2012&sector_search=SB&date_search=&gender_search=&category_search=&codex_search=&nation_search=&disciplinecode_search=PGS%2CPSL&search=Search&limit=20

A thankyou should go out to local vendors, like Bomber and Doneck that support our alpine racers.

• 10 months later...

Thought I would revive this thread and post a link to Mimi Wiencke's web page. She is currently the top ranked US female alpine snowboard racer. She had the top results (2nd & 4th) for the US team at last week's NorAm races at Copper. This was in a field of women that included the current world champion, whom Mimi beat both days. She is currently on her way to Europe to compete and is asking for our support.

http://mimiwiencke.com/?page_id=60

I dont see many US alpine riders in WC results other than the bottom of the page. WHY? Is alpine snowboarding now an Austrian dominated sport? What about the United States?

It actually takes a very simple search of US results and a bit of historic understanding to answer this particular question. There are a handful of US athletes who have excelled at the world cup level in the history of snowboard racing. Every athletes success has coincided with their cooperative development with a snowboard or other hardware manufacturer.

Us athletes have been on, and for the most part continue to be on a path of following the Europeans. They will only ride boards that Europeans are winning on. The day they finally examine the careers of other long standing North American World Cup winners and try to ascertain what it takes to win, they will realize that you must be a leader, not a follower.

There are manufacturers just waiting for capable communicators with a firm understanding of their equipment and a desire to win.

The current situation is horrible. The USASA has also put alpine on the back burner. Only a few contests in the entire mid-west even offer alpine races.

I do have a crappy solution though... NASTAR.

NASTAR is cheap, runs multiple times a week, widely available and results are comparable across sites. There's an East Coast championships and a Nationals in the Mountain West.

At the last ECES the majority of the racers at the clinics were NASTAR participants (I wasn't able to make it but I saw who was there via the Bomber boards)... There are even venues that bring out the snowboard gates throughout the year (Yup, the biggest downside is most of the time the courses are ski gates).

Until we can get a large majority of kids interested in tuning their edges rather than de-tuning their edges it's going to be an uphill battle.

I've talked with many levels of NASTAR and they are receptive to growing the snowboard side.

Thought I would revive this thread and post a link to Mimi Wiencke's web page. She is currently the top ranked US female alpine snowboard racer. She had the top results (2nd & 4th) for the US team at last week's NorAm races at Copper. This was in a field of women that included the current world champion, whom Mimi beat both days. She is currently on her way to Europe to compete and is asking for our support.

http://mimiwiencke.com/?page_id=60

Another vote for Mimi! She's really doing well, and can use the support so if you can please check out her web site or "like" her on FB, and follow her travels! She's currently in Austria training and racing, so let's do a super cheer for her from the US!

https://www.facebook.com/mimi.wiencke?fref=ts

The current situation is horrible. The USASA has also put alpine on the back burner. Only a few contests in the entire mid-west even offer alpine races.

Until we can get a large majority of kids interested in tuning their edges rather than de-tuning their edges it's going to be an uphill battle.

If you count together GS and SL the USASA actually runs more alpine races today than any other single discipline. I think there was a move in the USASA to drop alpine a few years back, but racers spoke up and participated in the organization, and that's what it takes, someone has to make it happen. Get involved with your local USASA, offer to help organize the races, set up training courses at your local hill, become an instructor or coach, share your passion.

"US athletes have been on, and for the most part continue to be on a path of following the Europeans. They will only ride boards that Europeans are winning on. The day they finally examine the careers of other long standing North American World Cup winners and try to ascertain what it takes to win, they will realize that you must be a leader, not a follower."

Sean, as you well know, for several years athletes riding on those new European boards had a distinct equipment-enhanced advantage, until other board builders followed suit. As an engineer who understands the scientific method you can appreciate the value an aspiring racer gets in refining and testing their personal race technique by riding the same equipment as the competition, essentially leveling the playing field and thus eliminating any equipment-enhanced variables.

If you count together GS and SL the USASA actually runs more alpine races today than any other single discipline. I think there was a move in the USASA to drop alpine a few years back, but racers spoke up and participated in the organization, and that's what it takes, someone has to make it happen. Get involved with your local USASA, offer to help organize the races, set up training courses at your local hill, become an instructor or coach, share your passion.

Tried that... I'm in Southern Indiana so I'm in an overlap space between the USASA "divisions" so I have no local USASA. Only a very few of their events in the whole region had any Alpine last year. Their (the USASA) focus is elsewhere, not on racing. I'm saying this based on what they offer and discussions I've had with other USASA participants.

My point was meant to be the focus on snowboarding is competition over sport right now at all levels. (Competition = judged event vs Sport = definite result)

I feel that the only way to combat this is to race. The more that race the more notice that alpine snowboarding will receive. Right now I don't know another venue that so many could compete and be seen other than NASTAR. During the "Race of Champions" at the NASTAR nationals Brian Spink was in the top ten overall (I think 8th if I remember correctly) on discounted time. That's across all disciplines and both sexes. He was the fastest snowboarder just edging out Scott Maynard.

What am I saying?!?! People don't understand our equipment... don't understand what "we" do... much less understand racing. Progression is going to be incremental built on the work of people like Fin, Sean, Bruce, et al. Maybe someday we'll have a Europe invasion (ala the Beetle's) that will create a tipping point. Until then bang those gates my brothers or not... I love to free-carve too! :D

Sean, as you well know, for several years athletes riding on those new European boards had a distinct equipment-enhanced advantage, until other board builders followed suit. As an engineer who understands the scientific method you can appreciate the value an aspiring racer gets in refining and testing their personal race technique by riding the same equipment as the competition, essentially leveling the playing field and thus eliminating any equipment-enhanced variables.

Yes, but winning is about taking risks too.

USASA has plenty of regional races all season long. The problem is; we dont get enough competitors at each event now. And we are facing the possibility of getting some races eliminated due to lack of participation. I think that USASA New England for example should re-think the schedule and put on regional championships instead of individual series races (such as Maine Mt Series, New Hampshire series ect). If we all were to gather for a regional race, we'd have quite a few great competitors at hand for a more exciting race day. Maybe they could at least put on a regional championship just before nationals, or something like that. USASA could put on three different regional races in New England for example. One in Maine, one in NH and one in Vt perhaps. Each one could be a GS on Saturday and SL on Sunday. Or, if USSA were to somehow cooperate with USASA to create a new integrated series that shares the same membership? That way, new competitors could easily progress along the pipeline to FIS events more smoothly.

Great idea and I agree it would be fun to have more quality competitors the USASA races. As weird as this may sound to everyone, it would be easier to get a USSA regional race like a RTTC apposed to a regional USASA race. Even if you got the series directors of Maine, NH, VT together and got them on board, OH yeah and MA$$. They would then have to channel everything through USASA upper management. If USASA management bit on the idea, it would turn into a 3 wringed circus, ALL EVENTS, SKIERS included. At the end of the day you will have created a mini eastern nationals :barf: Which USASA doesn't have the time nor the resources to do, their main objective is to get as many FAMILIES possible out to Nationals in mid April. Like I said as weird as this sounds, USSA when it come to PGS and Sl, it is more grass roots than USASA. USASA has turned into a big box store, while USSA in regards to PGS/SL I believe is still run by Abbi Nyberg. I remember years ago having to deal with both organizations, USSA was an email or a phone call away from getting the scoop that day on an upcoming event at an unfamiliar location 1000's of miles away. USASA email format only, much slower process, "we'll get back to you".

The responsibility lies on us, not USASA. Coaches need to get together and try to pick out a couple races a year that each series would travel to. For example, the NH athletes would hit up a Sunday River GS/Sl. Vice versa, you guys would come over to a for a Loon GS/SL. I think to drive from Loon ova to the Riva, its only about 2 hrs tops. Thats with Glenn Chapmann driving a van, I could probably do it in about a hr and a half. Anyways this thread has gone way off topic, gotta run.

USASA has plenty of regional races all season long. The problem is; we dont get enough competitors at each event now. And we are facing the possibility of getting some races eliminated due to lack of participation. I think that USASA New England for example should re-think the schedule and put on regional championships instead of individual series races (such as Maine Mt Series, New Hampshire series ect). If we all were to gather for a regional race, we'd have quite a few great competitors at hand for a more exciting race day. Maybe they could at least put on a regional championship just before nationals, or something like that. USASA could put on three different regional races in New England for example. One in Maine, one in NH and one in Vt perhaps. Each one could be a GS on Saturday and SL on Sunday. Or, if USSA were to somehow cooperate with USASA to create a new integrated series that shares the same membership? That way, new competitors could easily progress along the pipeline to FIS events more smoothly.
Edited by MR. JOHN DEERE !

USASA has plenty of regional races all season long.

Looking at the Appalacian series (South East), we have one day of slalom racing, and one day of GS within 4.5 hours drive, and both of these are postponed.

I checked last year, and there was one race I could attend.

I've been doing Crescent Ski Council racing, which permit snowboard racers to race on a ski-oriented course. We only have a few snowboarders that race. I'm the only Alpine rider, but hoping to get more people into it. I got one of the other racers hooked up with an Alpine setup a couple of years ago - hope that she comes back and races with it.

I do have a crappy solution though... NASTAR.

NASTAR is cheap, runs multiple times a week, widely available and results are comparable across sites. There's an East Coast championships and a Nationals in the Mountain West.

I had a lot of fun at NASTAR nationals last year. They actually use the correct angled gates at Nationals also. At Nationals we had about 10-20 Alpine riders (guessing). It was a very good event, and great to meet some other racers.

I really hope USSA is made aware of Russian-American Vic Wild's progress this season. Amazing what a difference a little funding and coaching makes. Second place in last weekend's Europa Cup a in stacked field.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=SB&raceid=10663

So very true. The US program sucks donkey balls... Vic has an amazing work ethic, great skill set, and Is very smart. Just like Justin, Jewler, Trappy, and Mimi, and a bunch other US "stars" Sadly these stars will never get the chances other riders with less talent that live and ride for more commited countrys will. All these athletes do amazing jobs with what resourses they have, and if it wasn't for the talent of one very dedicade coach in steamboat, there would be no US action close to what the Euros have. And the Fault lies with the US program at its highest level, not with any of the feeder programs, or disires of US riders.. We have plenty of talent but no commitment via funding.

We have been very lucky to have US riders podium at the correct times, but none of the victories have produced a flood of interest or funding..