Note to New Members ×

Where's my snow?

John E

You can go here if your in the East Cleveland area.. not far : http://www.pknpk.com/snowsports.html# Massive vert and the steeps are wicked ! to fast for my Virus Im selling!

But if that is too big of a challenge then I would head to the WTF 2012 Jan 20th thru 27.. the snow has been falling and cold temps have arrived..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of the record floods in the upper mid-west and the drought in Texas makes me wonder if anyone has looked at the economics of building a pipeline that could solve both problems. However, it would have to be a really big pipeline to make any difference. In years like this one the excess water could be moved from North Dakota to Texas. It would be really expensive but might be cheaper than the billions of dollars spent to react to the flooding and the drought.

The only pipelines that seem to be funded recently are pipelines for tar sands unfortunately. Reality is, as people move from rural areas to urban ones, the ultimate "fix" for a possibly persistant change from mildly dry with wet in the SE section to all over dry will be desalinization plants on the coast. The LNG terminals that oil companies want to build will require millions of gallons of seawater to operate anyway-I can see some of the effluent being diverted inland

Because of the record floods in the upper mid-west and the drought in Texas makes me wonder if anyone has looked at the economics of building a pipeline that could solve both problems. However, it would have to be a really big pipeline to make any difference. In years like this one the excess water could be moved from North Dakota to Texas. It would be really expensive but might be cheaper than the billions of dollars spent to react to the flooding and the drought.

The Red River becomes something like a couple of miles wide during the flooding and still can't keep up with the flow. It's truly astounding how much water flows through this area in a flood year. No pipeline would make a dent.

:p1st good pow day in 2 months at 6" of fresh brought the powhounds out of the woodwork Tue. and the summit pack up to 72" the front side was hacked up by 10am.

Overnight was clear & cold so wed. morn (dried out tue's snow) was the best carving groomers of the season,

the drive up

6684919029_312e6ddee2_b.jpg

Got the 185 carbon gs higher on edge than ever before. switched to the 165 nidecker for the bumps and steep, carved run wide perfect c's on b-chute (40*+ winchcat run in the pic) after making a couple bump runs and powder 8 tracks

6684937935_8345fe8912_b.jpg

NICE could be a pow fest if weather forecast models are correct

^where's the people? that place is awesomely deserted. our family has a place on pend oreille; i'm down there every summer, really need to try to make a winter trip one day.

They all skipped work for the pow tue.

wed. was bluebird on 2900 acres shared by about 290 people.

You need to come to N.I.C.E. feb20-26, a place to stay is half the battle.

We received a little over a foot over the MLK weekend then last night was hit with 2' and by tomorrow is suppose to be between 2'-3' more. Temps staying in the mid-upper 20's so far. Now I have a lot of shoveling to do, but might hit the slopes with the longboard during my lunch. (working from home because they closed the pass). Hope you all can get a wiff of this storm passing through the PNW. Good to finally get some decent snowfall.

When I used to do Demos for Madd... it was frustrating because we always got so much new snow. It would dump nearly every time I went to do a demo. Likewise for when I ran a shop and got unlimited free passes.

After a while..Cappelletti asked that I not attend on snow demos anymore because I would jinx the Alpine demos with snowstorms.

My friend Kiki called me and begged me to come to Aspen 4 seasons ago because they had no snow..and offered me a free pass... It started snowing as soon as I started shipping Via Fedex. That year was "Deepcember"..some ridiculous amount of snow in December.

I also had a free pass that year.

The next year I also had a free pass working shooting mountain photos.. another great year..until I got hurt and it stopped snowing immediately.

In 1992-1993 at Wachusett I had a free pass and was teaching...we got freak storms all year.....we could have gone until June.

I used to sell passes to get free passes at Killington..again banner years.

If I buy a pass...we always get skunked..consistently..70 degree melt outs, torrential rain- followed by freezes.. mudstorms..you name it.

If I don't have a pass = no snow.

So this year I came back to Aspen..and have been trying to get a job that gives me a free pass. I even BOUGHT 5 tickets this year..ugghh...at least they were 50% off.

yes I am totally superstitious. If I am happy and feel I got something for free..and want to ride... it just dumps.

(one exception was 2000-2001 season when I coached at Stratton- but was dreading riding because I had to interact with Steven Cloyes , who tried to starve Madd for Cash to get a greater percentage of ownership-----> in the end we decided we would rather go bust than sell to him.. - I was coaching his kids- and dreaded riding and seeing this guy.. I think we had no snow until Christmas...after which I quit the Stratton job)

Last week I got asked to work shooting photos again..which gets a free pass. I should get my free pass in 3 days... AND if I get a Kessler owed to me... I'll be psyched to ride...

git out'yer shovels boys.

Nice! Until I read the last line, I was thinking this was going to be a plea to the BOL community to pitch in for a pass in exchange for some snow! :D

Btw, John, do you ever get back to Boston anymore... especially for the 4th of July Storrow Drive slalom course? Ahh... them were the days!

Btw, John, do you ever get back to Boston anymore... especially for the 4th of July Storrow Drive slalom course? Ahh... them were the days!

I miss slalom skateboarding particularly in the Northeast, because the pavement there is of an extremely high-quality – and typically because of frost causing potholes, streets are repaved frequently.

This is not the case in California – although California roads are nice for slalom because they're usually isn't much of the Crown in the roads because there isn't much rainfall and there is no Snow whatsoever.

Crowned roads can make for good courses though...if set to add challenge.

Something about a crisp fall day and ripping some cones in New England....

I might be back there in a few months - visiting board in hand.