Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 2004/2005

Guest thomas_m

1. "What happened to your tail?" me: "was bored so I cut it off" looks confused, then I told him I was joking. (he was probably still confused)

2. Kid next to me on chair: "what do you call that thing?" me: "a snowboard." 2 minutes later, same kid: "have you tried snowboarding?"

3. hot girl (unfortuenately with guy): "oh you have an alpine board!" I was pleasantly shocked. she was with a German guy, so sounds like she was cultured snowboard wise :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the other night at wachusett i'm trying to track down my bro Dano in the liftline on the cellphones. Turns out he's 5 people in front of me in the singles line.The jibber next to me is like "wow, that's a skinny board he's on , is that a race board? " (yellow Burton prime 173)" yeah it's really skinny for such a big fat guy" and the lady in front of me turns around "do you talk to ALL your friends like that ?" No, just the FAT ones.Suffice it to say, FAT guys rule, right BOB ?

Guest 1boardhead

You know, ignorance is not a sin. I know it is irritating to hear someone pontificate on something of which he knows nothing. I constantly get comments in the lift line; my favorite one is "Is that easy?" or "Is that hard?" Guys, try to be an ambassador to our sport. God knows we need more people to keep alpine rideing alive. To the people that tell their partners "It's a Monoboard" or one of the many variants, just explain to them what it really is. You'll come off as a gentleman/woman rather than just another snowboarding *******.

The toughest one I had was this woman who came skiing up to my wife and I who were carving at Brundage and literally started screaming at her that we were "ruining the course." We were just riding on a run, not a race course or anything. I just rode off, shaking my head. Couldn't be polite to that ninny.

I ride a teleboard, tele skis, alpine carve specific skis and a very skinny (14.5 waist) alpine board.

To the Carverbob looking for someone in the Boise area to ride with, email me or KT. I can also probably help you somewhat with the Skwal.

Don't mean to preach.... I love to read the funny/stupid comments too, but I suggest trying to keep our scorn for the stupids private.

this thread is about sharing the comments. i hope we can laugh amongst ourselves at some of these commetns. wouldn't be asking that much if the typical rider knew what the heck we ride? I don't think so. i mean, learn a little about the history of your hobby / sport.

granted snowboarding is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (9-11, etc), ignorance is rarely something to defend/commend.

my .02

Guest 1boardhead

Ignorance is the lack of knowlege... stupidity is the avoidance of knowlege. Ignorance, although not commendable is forgivable. Stupidity is not.

Laugh at the stupid comments that people make, but in the line or on the slopes be an ambassador to try to get more people into our side of the sport.

what is the deal here? this thread is meant for all the comments we get. hell, some people here even have those comments as their signature.

thx for the defs, but I do not agree. are you familiar with the expression "ignorance of the law is no excuse?"

I do my share to eduk8 other riders, esp. those my age, my age (20 somethings) about alpine. The kid who asked me the questions yesterday I ended up giving him one of the BOL cards. I know quite a few riders in the area and while I don't "preach the alpine gospel," as some do, I bring alpine into discussion if appropriate.

Guest thomas_m

OK, I started this silly thread last year when there was hardly any snow so I had to read Bomber every hour... It's still going so I took out the year reference.

Lately, I've been riding my red Dupraz a helluva lot since we've been getting plenty o' wet PacNW mashed tater 'powder'. Every time I ride this board I get the same question at least 4 times and as many a 7:

"Hey! How old is that board?" I say "Oh, a couple months" and they look at me like I'm crazy. The lifties just say something like "alright! oldschool!". But all the comments have been very positive, especially when I float past someone stuck in the low angle heavy board grabbing freshies.

I'm sure the Tanker guys get the same stuff. "How big is that board?" and on and on. You just gotta smile and move along.

T.

I've been riding with softbooter friend this season and after the first day or two he asked, "do people always ask you about your board?" He thought it weird that my board was such a conversation piece. (I'd forgotten that wasn't normal.)

Fast-forward to today... we spent the whole day lapping the terrain park (at Stevens Pass, which is not the place I usually ride). And at one point my buddy says something like, "man, you should hear those people in the park when you hit the jumps... they're like, 'is he going to hit the jump on that thing?' 'whoah, he did it!' 'what the hell?'" (There's usually a half-dozen or so people queued up for the jumps, watching the people ahead of them while they wait for their turn.)

Later in the day I worked up the courage to start doing 180s... Not off the biggest jumps in the park, but still pretty good size - there was a contest on this particular set of jumps last week and people were doing rodeos and stuff. Anyway, I'd 180 off the first jump, ride switch to the next one, 180 again. So later I had to ask, what sort of comments did that bring out?

"Holy ****!"

"He landed it!"

"What's that guy thinking?"

half the fun of riding the alpine so far is just having people stare at you. Id be walking with my board to either take a break or something and I would just watch people's heads as I walk past them. They look at me then instantly look at my board with confusion. Gotta love attention:)

this picture pretty much sums it up for me:

negative10.jpg

On my 2nd day at Park City last week, I was hitting the King Con lift (run was Sitka) over and over. There were some piles of soft stuff, but the Axis was plowing through them nicely.

My legs were very weak by then, so I was carving as slowly as I could, huge semicircles. I heard someone behind me, so I sat down for a rest to let them pass.

They stopped next to me. A group of 3 boarders from Hawaii. The dude said my carving looked smooth and they were following me because they liked the pace I set. He said it looked like I was surfing out there. Best compliment I've ever gotten. =)

half the fun of riding the alpine so far is just having people stare at you.

It always seems that the best runs are under the lift line doesnt it? heheh

The only time I REALLY want people to look at me is so they dont ram into me.

When people ask me questions in the lift line Im very nice about it.

I get so many questions at our resorts that I just say " it dosnt go any faster, just more controllable. Like powersteering".. Let the imagination go .

I had more stupid comments and questions that every. Now just as a note, I'm a very patient person and am more than willing to have a chat and explain what the board is all about...but don't make fun of me for laying down trenches when you're still slipping around and then expect me to be nice about the comments...

Some of the great comments that kinda annoyed me!

"That's a fat ski" - common, not an issue

"Do you use poles with that??" - ok getting annoyed

"Go back to skiing you poser" - pissed me off!

"No matter what you say, that isn't a snowboard" -this comment came aftter a 5 minute debate about the origins of carving and racing...

If you don't know what's on the go, ask, I love it when people ask about my boards and set-up...but don't put me down about my style of riding...

-sorry had to flame a bit! :flamethro

-Gord

paap, never thought of it that way. will defintly use that.

I have never recieved a negative comment. People are usually just interested in what its about. I dunno if it was just a more dedicated crowd, but the other day, more people knew about my board than ever. A change of pace from the usual. Its more fun now because I get a compliment here and there and its defintly a boost of confidence. Time to start laying down:eplus2:

• 9 months later...

on hero snow coming up to a midway reload point I cranked a serious toeside

A couple of skiers were watching from the lift, and as thier chair passed me one of them said " duuude, props for that laid out turn, that was sweeeeeet!!"

I said "thank you, thankyouverymuch"

mario