Note to New Members ×

For those who left Deeluxx/Raichle boots

Bobby Buggs

I think Mr.E was aiming at this as well, but doesn't finding the "best fitting boot" have more to do with the liner than the shell?

Not always. I ride UPZ's because the Deeluxes were way too big around the calves for me. It wasn't possible to buckle them up tight without deforming the shell. And two people I ride with have quit their Deeluxes for the same reason.

Does anyone know what the LAST is of each boot instead of us just speculating on which is better for a high or low volume foot?

I know my UPZ boots are narrower than my ski boots and a race fit. I am guessing around 98mm from the factory like most race fit ski boots. I had them slightly punched out last winter and I would guess they are now 100mm as they were comparable to a set of Atomic Hawx 100mm ski boots I tried a couple of days ago.

My new HEAD ski boots have a user adjustable last and can range between 102mm-104mm by turning an allen wrench. This is an amazing feature and if the HEADs fit my feet well, I might be get some leftover snowboard boots at the end of the season.

Not always. I ride UPZ's because the Deeluxes were way too big around the calves for me. It wasn't possible to buckle them up tight without deforming the shell. And two people I ride with have quit their Deeluxes for the same reason.

You know, I can really see that - I was up in Silverthorne to buy some new Deeluxes (225s) last week. I have short legs and Popeye calves (Fin actually commented on it thinking I might need extra room) and have had issues with boots in the past because of that. But they actually buckle very easily at the top without having to let out any slack at all. For my big calves the factory buckle setting are perfect. If my calves were more "normal" they just might be too big around the cuff.

Bought Raichles from Bomber - painfully narrow, even after being fit/tweaked by a professional.

Bought Heads from Bomber. They were modified by the same bootfitter to increase width in the forefoot. Forefoot was comfortable, but liner packed-out, ankle became loose, added foam, was better, liner packed, loose ankle...

Tried on Virus Edition UPZ RC10's from All Boards Sports - pure heaven. Took them home and installed my custom insoles - even better. Rode the first day - they were a delight. Currently dialing in the forward lean and flex adjustments. I may need to purchase the stiff tongues...

Luckily I had easy access to retailers who sold all three brands so I could find what worked best for me.

After about 10 years on Raichle AF 600's with blue bts, I bought a pair of UPZ 10's, the grey Virus edition. The Raichle's were getting really soft. Tried on the head's, but they were too wide. Last spring I tried the UPZ's with the factory liner-not good. Too much heel lift, shin bang and presure points. Over the summer I cooked my old Raichle themofit liners (already packed out) and put them in. Have ridden on them 5 days this fall with no pain and great performance. I was having some issues with my heelside turns with the old boots. Heelside turns are good now. Like DT, I visited my friend Bola at All Board Sports in Boulder. Boots really need to be tried on before purchase.