Note to New Members ×

Spanked by Utah (& frustrated)

FTA2R

You guys make anything of the area right above the ankle on front foot bothering me while riding. (not sure if this is the dorisflexor) Bow legged, just tried negative cant on front foot for the first time today Also, does everyone here have really strong legs or what, b/c alpine seems killer on legs, especially front quad. Anyone else think that carving takes about 1.5 - 2x as much physical effort as freeriding?

Opened up the season today and my board rode me today. I switched to my soft setup halfway through. Wishing I had done more cardio/weights before I got here.

Anyway, Kirk, interesting town Layton is. There is a mule in our backyard- this is a first for me. I'm staying near a big Rite Aid style store called "Anderson's" you near there? snowbasin lodge was insanely nice, though, and so were the employees. I've never seen such fancy bathrooms and cafeterias in a ski resort.

Will there be videos of the Gilmour clinic? John Gilmour, any plans for the mid atlantic riders?

frustrated,

Barry

It's pretty darn impressive, eh? Yeah, they did that whole place up for the Olympics. Before the upgrades a few years back (before bought by Sun Valley), there wasn't much to it. I swear every time I walk in there to use the restroom, I almost feel guilty wearing my boots on that plush carpet! I see that they opened up Becker chair. Did you stay on Needles (gondola)? How was it today? Don't know if it's groomed or not, but Wildcat Bowl is a sweet, wide groomer. If Wildcat chair isn't open (usually open on weekends) you can get to it from the Needles (porcupine traverse to boardwalk). I was not in the mood for work today - would love to have been there! Need to get that Madd 170 on the hill again to get her broke in!

Mules - heh, I have a flock of sheep and two llama in the field bordering my backyard! The only Rite Aid I know of is next to Albertson's off of Fairfield. If that's the case, I live about two minutes away off of Antelope and 1450 E.

What's your plan tomorrow? I remember snowmobiling in the works somewhere.

I don't think riding the edges takes any more effort that sideslipping, but it's hard to tell as it's all technique.

If you're working hard then probably more practice will help - I don't find it particularly hard to ride quickly top-to-bottom without stopping almost anywhere (eg Whistler, Les Arcs). And I'm old enough not to be doing it on basic fitness.

I can't see why you'd get pain specifically there, although it's easy to get "shin bang" on the front boot. Some experimentation with the front-back angles on the boot might help (toe/ heel lift settings plus boot lean). What gear are you riding?

p

we are about to head to daniel's point to go snowmobiling, so I'll be able to write more when I reutrn. My equipment is a Burton Alp 157 (I'm light) and the Raichle entry level boots, and Burton Race bale bindings.

my angles are both in teh lower 50s I believe, will have to double check on that.

Kirk, yeah, Fairfax sounds familiar. you're obviously close to us. Anyway, I didn't really pay much attention to the trails, I know strawberry was closed. I think we took some "revenge" trail. Lot of powder. I'm pretty sure we're headed to powder mountain tomorrow.

ttyl,

Barry

Have fun at Powder Mt. that is one of my favorite places on a powder day. Take you pow set up there is probably still great lines to find. My advice is to just take the lifts to acess the ridge line the find good places to drop down the the acess road and wait for the bus. This will all make sense when you get there.

Barry, I'm just up the street, give me a ring when you get back and maybe we can have a look at it tonight or something. I've got a spot in my basement strictly for tuning and setting up my bindings, etc. I will be out for a little while tonight, maybe between 8:30 and 9:00. If you're interested, give me a call:

(801)544-2349

Kirk

If you're pressuring your front leg more than your back, it could be that your bindings are set too far to the back of the board, causing you to have to weight the front leg more than the back.

I think it takes a lot more energy to carve high-G turns than to do speed runs or generally freeride. Things I've done to help my legs include riding with a Camelbak to stay hydrated and gobbling up Sportlegs. (www.sportlegs.com)

Even with that, my legs are usually pretty beat from a day of riding, and it's 10 times worse on opening day.

Enjoy your trip!

MT

Barry, for what it is worth (I'm a newb ), I had the same experience. My major problem was stance width ( center to center on the bindings ). I had the bindings too far apart. I had set the plates up the same width as my soft board set up, and experienced the same thing. Moved them in closer together, what a difference.

Guest AlpentalRider

you shouldn't notice a huge difference between riding alpine vs softboots. You might be trying too hard to muscle the board, or might be working hard because your not used to the extra speed and Gs you get on an alpine setup. I ride a Burton Speed with Burton Race Plates as well, and actually find it less of a leg burner then trying to do the same groomer turns on my softies.

One of the other things you could check is to see if you always have your boots clicked forward. If you're always locked in, and don't get a chance to straighten your legs, it can burn the thighs up pretty quick.

I've been keeping my boots in the relax mode more often than not anymore.

Think Snow!!!

MT

hey guys,

'biling at Daniels Summit was AWESOME. wow, powerful things those are. We did the loop went off the trail just a few times, great fun.

our backs are a bit sore today, lol, apparently from being in the hunched over position. heading to Powder Mtn in a little bit.

do you all think that perhaps my skinny legs (and hence the need to buckle the boot pretty tight, which may cause more pressure) could be a contribuing factor to the burn above the ankle?

I think I might try this sportleg- it's just like a regular supplement?

Kirk, sorry I didn't sign on at all until today, so I didn't see your last message. If you're up for checking my setup out sometime this evening, I'd be ineterested.

thx,

Barry

first, powder mountain, while somewhat remote , was awesome. one of the best riding experiences i've had. lots of powder and almost no one there, real wide trails too.

second, I had a crapload more energy today. I think I'm more used to the air and had a water/gatorate concoction in my camelback and I had a power bar, maybe they're much better than cliff bars.

anyway, I'm out, headed back tomorrow.

thx,

Barry

The front leg burn is common when first starting. I think it has to do with trying to find balance. Since you already know how to turn a snowboard you are riding at a level above what your body is used to with a hardboot set-up. So your leg muscles are firing more to try to keep you in balance, because they aren't used to the set-up. You've been around here enough to have read all the stuff about set-up and the info in the welcome center, so I don't think you have a major set-up problem, it's just muscle effientcy. Just stick with it and you muscles will find more efficient ways to stay in balance.

I also agree with Mike T's comments on forward lean.

For years, I used Nordica snowboard boots that had a lot of forward lean, with very little adjustment. I had always assumed that I got tired a lot faster on my alpine setup because of the higher stance angle. Also, I couldn't ride top to bottom without stopping. I would always switch to my freestyle board and softboots at lunch time because of the thigh burn. It didn't matter if I was riding hard or just cruising, my legs burned out too easily on my alpine setup.

When I switched to Raichle boots everything got easier because when I bought the boots, the forward lean setting was minimal. Immediately, my legs could handle a full day on my alpine setup and I could ride top to bottom without stopping to rest.

Now I've zero forward lean on my front foot and some forward lean on my back foot.

I still ride my freestyle board and soft boots a lot in the afternoon, but now it's because of choice and not out of necessity.

If you are flying into Salt Lake try to get an early flight. Both The Canyons and Park City Mt. Resort offer a free lift ticket on the same day you fly in. This is to try to promote how close they are to the airport, it takes about 40 min from airport to lift. As far as shuttles go contact All resorts express, they will take you anywhere you need to go.