Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2011-12

BlueB

Blue bird day yesterday, with exception of one thick cloud passing right through the valley. Scooby and me, no sight of other h/booters. No crowd either. Hard pack conditions, with some fluf around edges in snow making areas.

I really enjoyed Scooby's new Kessler 180. After a while I figured out what to do to turn it into an awsone EC board. Yet, I still think it's a tad too big turning/fast for our local mountains. Looking forward to test ride the 170.

When the cloud rolled in, I switched to play board and did some monkey business. Sun came back and Scoob took some good shots...

Jump-20111208.jpg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaz most likely will trenchin.

I saw Kaz at the top and though he was right behind me and a friend but when we got to the bottom I didn't see you anywhere sorry we didn't wait but were just about at the end of our day and wanted to get a few more runs in.

Cheers,

John

PS Nice air time Boris... Its good to show the softy's that plates are not stuck to the ground :)

Also just a note:

There are rocks all over the bottom part of Bennys!!

And Horizon has a few patches with dirt and rocks coming through. Not to bad but they are always just past a roller to you don't get much warning :eek:

Ouch, you missed these 2 posts :( I hope you still hv smooth base.

...Almost forgot: lower Humpty and lower Horizon have lots of rocks! Mid and lower Horizon and lower humpty have lots of ice too...?
Yeah... leave Horizon side alone for at least 2 dumps. I've check Raven Chair on Crazy Raven(#1) ; Upper and lower good coverage but right on the steep section some srubs still afloat, one more dumps will be good. First Sun (#3) need 2 more dumps as the Cat track and boulders are still showing. Mid way need one more dump.

Stay at Eagle Chair for now: JJA (PGS), Maelle Rickers (Fork & Lower Fork), Ashley McIvor (Cascade), Panorama, Windjammer. Next week look promising for more snow.

How's the traffic?

I saw Kaz at the top and though he was right behind me and a friend but when we got to the bottom I didn't see you anywhere...

Kaz => Samurai style :cool:= clean cut and silent; he probably chasing the girls at Colins:eplus2::ices_ange;)

WATCH for SPEED CONTROL on Collins and Panorama and some of them have new DARK ORANGE Jacket and some are still in the old YELLOW.

Most likely I'll miss Saturday ridin but maybe going for Sunday

Cheers

RT

John, do I have yr email? Email me: carvingchanel at yahoo dot ca

Today was the first day in as long as I can remember that I have been afraid on a snowboard :eplus2: Alpine boards are a whole other beast, SO FAST!!! First 2 runs were torture until I got the forward lean sorted on my back foot and then it was happy days:D I did have a look for you Boris but couldn't see you and my legs gave up after 3 hours, I obviously need to work on my technique. Roll on next time :biggthump

Cous,

Today, some sticky fresh over hardpack on Easy Rider. Thursday on JJA was hardpack border line to "Hero".

Wee,

Luka and I are asy to spot - 5 year old kid carving (sort of) skis behind an old fart carving skis backwards :D

We were there from 11:45ish am to about 2:15 pm.

I saw Kaz at the top and though he was right behind me and a friend but when we got to the bottom I didn't see you anywhere sorry we didn't wait but were just about at the end of our day and wanted to get a few more runs in.

I'm slow when I'm by myself. I'm always thinking what I should do to improve my snowboarding skill. So I stop so often in the middle of the run and correct my bad habit.

My task is how to finish toe-side-turn quickly and how to begin heel-side-turn quickly and stable.

Catch the snow with front edge and start to weight snowboard early in heel-side-turn.

like this ↓

kohei-b.jpg

I don't know if my explanation makes sence. It's difficult to explain in English about this topic.

Kaz => Samurai style :cool:= clean cut and silent; he probably chasing the girls at Colins:eplus2::ices_ange;)

Not on Friday:)

My ancestors were Samurai. For real.

10:30. Rock star parking was full, so parked at the main lot. Walked to the Raven entrance, and rode down. Up the Raven Ridge chair, down Panorama, straight to the lodge for demo day.

Snow ranged from double-M (man-made) over hardpack, cruddy, icy, to cushy softpack. Overall the snow was ok for demoing.

Wanted to try rockered soft boards.

Burton Custom Restricted 158. Hybrid rocker with some camber. Did not want to hold an edge too well. Skidded turns were easy to do. Did not like this board.

Never Summer Premier F1 159. Hybrid rocker with some camber. This thing was fantastic. When doing skidded turns, you could feel the rocker. Bumpy groomers were not a problem because you never caught the wrong edge due to the rocker. When railed on edge, it felt like a conventional cambered board. It carved like a champ. Quite damp for a soft-boot board. The shovel and waist width were very close to my Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm. It would probably work ok as a pow board. They're also available in longer lengths.

Crowd wasn't too bad for Sunday. Most people were away Xmas shopping. Lift lines at Raven Ridge and Sky chairs were zero. Other chairs were 3 or 4 minutes.

was up sunday morning (on skis!) w/ the kid. surprisingly quiet. nice carving groom on the usual runs, though we were sticking to the greens. we really need some more snow up there to open up more terrain.

saw someone w/ a kessler bx board; didn't chat him up though. didn't see any hard boots on the hill. felt bad for not representing.

11:00 to 3:00

Snow ranged from firm softpack to slight hardpack. Sunny. Groomers only, of course.

Weapon of the day: Prior 4WD 169. Too bad another canting disk fell off the UPZ boots. I'm convinced the extreme punching (approximately 1 inch wider throughout the entire length) has something to do with it.

High overcast, flat light, no crowd...

Hard packed but grippy snow on JJA, very hard packed on M. Ricker.

I tested Scoob's Kesler 170 - way more Cypress fiendly then 180. Softish, tuns much tighter, indespite of long SC. Excellent for EC too. It skidds the turns like a sub-160 board, yet holds the edge like a 175+ board... A bit on soft side.

When it was time for monkey ride, later, I got onto F2 ElDiablo. Stiffer and slightly less aggile then Proto, yet carves a bit better. Still jumps nicely. No wild photos from today...

It skidds the turns like a sub-160 board, yet holds the edge like a 175+ board...

my 174 kessler seems similar; long tip & tail decamber (at least compared to my priors) makes it surprisingly easy to unlock & slide despite it edge length, but grips like crazy once you crank it over on it's edge. surprisingly forgiving. perhaps that's a necessary trait when your pining a rutted race course at 10/10ths.

Big crew today: Scoob, Edgy, Kaz, Couzin, Bryan, Gabe, BlueB...

A bit of freshies overnigt, a bit of whiteout, lots of people for a work day = dificult conditions.

I wanted to test a new to me Tomahawk 182, but wasn't comfortable with hig speed and low vis, so I quickly reverted to F2 ElDiablo. Scoob tested a new helmet cam, we'll see the results later...

Yesterday's rain didn't do too much damage. However, there was no freezing temps overnight, so snow stayed soft and moist. Pretty fast for the conditions.

Medium crowd.

Instructoress Nova is quite interested in h/booting.

We met another alpine rider, Mike. He was on skis today but noticed the Alp I casrried as a loaner to instructors' shed and approached me. He might stop by here, to say hi!

Luka did 12 laps today - record!

When we left at 3pm, the clouds were thickennig up, but no rain...

Hey, that's me! I'm Mike, pleasure to meet you all!

This is only my third season carving, so I'm not very good yet. I was inspired to pick it up after volunteering at the FIS snowboard world cup event on cypress back in '09.

It's nice to know that there's a local scene here; before I ran into boris, I think I'd only seen other hard booters once or twice. Looking forward to riding with you guys and learning a thing or two!

Hey Mike!

Welcome on Bomber!

Drop me a line on:

boris at blueb dot biz

to get onto our local mailing list. That way you'll know when the crew will ride, buy/sell deals, lesson specials, etc. There are about 30 people on the list. CarvingScooby (Roy) is the mail administrator.