Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2011-12

BlueB

Holy Crap am I out of shape! I mean I own a gym for God sake so you would think that doing a few runs on a snowboard work be a cup of tea but I was quickly reminded that when you can't remember how to let the board do the work for you, your legs start burning very quickly.

Run 1: was a bit of a write off as I had the bindings set up completely wrong so all I succeeded in doing was tiring my self out and make some sketchy turns. This kind of sucked because the snow seemed like it was awesome to really cave some good turns.

Run 2: got the bindings a little better but still not quite right and actually made some turns that looked like I knew what I was doing on the flat stuff but went to complete hell as soon as it got steep.

Run 3 I think my brain was starting to remember what my body was supposed to do but my body was refusing to comply.

Run 4 Brain and body started to work together a little bit and linked turns that would probably resemble a solid beginner that just learned to carve.

Run 5 Brain and body were agreeing what to do but for some reason my legs no longer responded. At this point I thought I should pack it in for the day but decided to give it one more run to see if my legs would recover.

Run 6 Ran into BlueB and Kaz where both carving some very nice turns proving my thoughts on run 1 that the snow seemed like it was awesome to really cave some good turns. I on the other hand Tried my best but just couldn't hold an edge to save my life...

Run 7 Ya I know I said that I was done at run 5 but now I had people to ride with. This proved to be a bad idea as I had to sit down 4 times on the way down as my leg was cramping and when I stopped at the bottom I almost fell over because my quads were done!

Nice to meet you guys It can only get better from here.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9:30 to 1:00.

Sunny. A little colder. Probably -2°C. Snow was dry by North Shore standards. Softpacked grippy corduroy with enough firmness for nice carving. Meat-gate rating: sparse to medium.

Weapon of the day: Prior 4WD - 169 cm.

All runs was open? BlueB & kaz was there, dunno what time they start thou...I had to bail out, most likely nxt wk will join u guys.

Today weather not good...probably Sunday too.

...As a result Cypress Mountain will be closed for night skiing tonight - operating today from 9 AM to 4 PM only. Increasing winds or high wind gusts....

Date of Update: November 26, 2011 8:38am

Weather Conditions: Snowing

Base Temperature: Alpine 0C

Visibility: Variable

Winds: Strong

RT

The girls and I went night skiing for the first time this season Friday evening- great snow, OK visibility, and best of all, no lift line ups... We hammered it without break from 6:30 untl 9:30, then our legs went all noodly and we had to go home.

I took out my Prior 167 ATV with some soft yellow BTS springs in my boots for the first time, and had to make some very dramatic adjustments to my body shifting mechanics during the turns, otherwise I ended up on my face...

i did a nightowl run last night (8-10). snow was dumping nicely, and there was 6"+ fresh over a hard base. not many bodies up there, so no lines and lots of relatively unmolested snow to play with.

had the prior atv out for the 1st proper runs, and despite some opinions to the contrary, it turned out to be a super fun board for these conditions. nice forgiving nose, and tight-ish scr made for a playful poppy ride. had a great couple hours.

Did u get her number?!

Geo

No way.

I didn't want her to think like I'm trying to pick up a girl.:(

And also I was going to leave there when I saw her.

I wanted to check her gear but I couldn't talk to her anyway 'coz I'm not fluent in English.

If I see her next time, I might say Hi. That's it.:(

But I wish I could talk to her.:cool:

Hero snow, blah, blah, blah.

It was Free Burger Day. A celebration of the new month.

Here is my review:

Burger #1. The patty was soft and moist. Dipped in orange special sauce until the burger was dripping. The bun was quite flavourful. No condiments were needed. The overall effect was one of satisfaction, because the burger was free.

Burger #2. Not quite as much orange special sauce. No condiments. I think the burger was a bit more satisfying, although less squishy due to the lack of drippiness. A sugary Sprite washed it all down. Surprisingly, the drink tasted sweeter than usual.

post-7482-141842350796_thumb.jpg

yeah I know. Something is screwed up. I think the angle indicators are flipped or something.

ok I figured it out.

On Monday, I adjusted the angles, mixing up the "regular" and "goofy" settings. This morning, it felt really weird. Looking down at my feet, it looked weird too. I even asked someone to look at it, but he didn't catch it either. I'm glad it wasn't my imagination.

Hero snow on JJA, Panorama, Fork.

Crappy mixed conditions on Humpty and Horizon.

Good solid hardpack on Midway, but some shrubs still sticking out. No rock, though.

No crowds.

Crew: Federico, Kaz, Scooby, B

Boards: Coil 166, Ogasaka 162, 4WD 174, Kessler BXn 168, Proto 167

Carving frenzy first, then some monkey business later...

post-1678-141842350821_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842350823_thumb.jpg

High overcast at Cypress. Was snowing in the late morning, then stopped. Base temp just above 0 I think. No crowd!?!

Ski instructor Elia is back to h/boots! He just took over my Generics.

Luka is starting to rediskover ski carving again :)

Spent all day in Instructor's training... We've got a nice new trainer, Andrew, it was a great refreshment course. Lot's of new faces, lots of interest into h/boots, too!

I froze my bum when the sun went down - had only shell and base layer...

[edit] Almost forgot: lower Humpty and lower Horizon have lots of rocks! Mid and lower Horizon and lower humpty have lots of ice too. [/edit]

Spoted: Scooby on one of his new Kesslers, 170 or 180. Review, Bro?

aRRIVE 8.45AM @ Lodge park lot, already busy - park at the last 2 rows. Hero Corduroy. Met Yoshii & parents, forgot to take pics:(. Yoshii doing great as the 1st day on HB this season. Keep up the good work...

Spent all day in Instructor's training... We've got a nice new trainer, Andrew, it was a great refreshment course. Lot's of new faces, lots of interest into h/boots, too!... ?

Bro, that's more great news :biggthump ...From Midway chair I can see some of the instructors was paying attention to my gears thn listening to the trainer :rolleyes::eplus2:

...Almost forgot: lower Humpty and lower Horizon have lots of rocks! Mid and lower Horizon and lower humpty have lots of ice too...?

Yeah... leave Horizon side alone for at least 2 dumps. I've check Raven Chair on Crazy Raven(#1) ; Upper and lower good coverage but right on the steep section some srubs still afloat, one more dumps will be good. First Sun (#3) need 2 more dumps as the Cat track and boulders are still showing. Mid way need one more dump.

Spoted: Scooby on one of his new Kesslers, 170 or 180. Review, Bro?

Test Drive both 170 & 180:

210-220lbs incld gears.

Setting TD2F55*,0*Cant - R50*,0*Cant

Stand 19 1/4" Hard/Red E-Rings on AIR SUSPENSION

Kessler 180:

Decided 180 to come out first as traffic to none .

I thought I have to get the feel for the first few runs on a strange board, na..ah:cool:, deck as if part of my quiver for long time. After the first run I have to tell my self to ease off to finish my warm-up laps but as soon as I pass upper JJA I just can't hold the temp and let it go... deck just following the way I want to carve, EC or Extreme C. Deck has alot of edge hold and very forgiving. Seems deck has more solid feeling compare other metal boards I've ridden - just like my PRIOR WCRM 177 and COILER PR179 two character combine became KESSLER 180.

Compare to KST185 is much easier to handle and to controle speed, is less work out.

Kessler 170:

I switch to this board after 16 laps on 180 and as traffic start to build up.

This board is a fun board and does everything 180 does but being 10cm shorter to 180; less edge-less hold - you have to stand right in centre.

Fun fun board.

Left at 12.30PM

Cheers

RT

BlueB: Next report on these 2 Kesslers

post-6136-141842350916_thumb.jpg

I got up to the Cypress by 1300 - but alas, everyone had gone and all I could see were the faint traces of your trenches....

Spent 2 hours touring the entire mountain to get a good recon on snow coveage, Raven runs, Sky Chair runs, JJA, Collins, even Humpty Dumpty and Slash...

Midway in the mid afternoon turned out to be the best- no line ups for the very slow chair, plus it gave me much needed recovery time between runs.

Raven side still has a lot of surface rocks on the slopes, same with Humpty Dumpty.

Geo

did a late rip last night. solid snow w/ a few ice patches & fog. had the 156sl kessler that turned out to be great in these kind of conditions. amazing how this thing can grip when you crank it over and let it do it's thing. been making improvements in my problematic heelside on steeper slopes (driving the rear knee / angulating more / reaching for the front boot) and linked carved turns are coming together. neat carving clean c's when everyone else on the hill is sliding around. so much more civilized really. again, i'm amazed this isn't catching on. too much fun.