Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2011-12

BlueB

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9:30am to 3:30pm

Visibility was bad until 11am. After that, cleared up.

Colins run was slushy.

JJ(PGS) was slusy until 1pm and turned icy.

I felt JJ like a skating rink that's why I left at 3:30.

We need some natural snow, otherwise this icy condition might continue as it is.

Let's ask Santa Claus.

We need some natural snow, otherwise this icy condition might continue as it is. Let's ask Santa Claus.

Not a great news..definetly need fresh snow :(

Icy condition :rolleyes: we sud be fine with our Alpine decks :cool: and the best... most jibbers crying home :eplus2:;)

I'm off tomorrow...man my day's isn't adding :o

RT

Start around 10. Kaz & me only on the slope, can`t find Geo & others.

Sunny, sugar on ice on some and and some soft spot here and there. Stay on JJA most, try Ashley McIvor once - hard and Icy. Stay till 1PM.

Stance was set 0.5'' wider to 19.5'' not comfortable, will go back to 19.25''.

One run on Coiler PR179, Kessler 180 all the way. Great board.

Will do another run tomorrow with Kaz.

RT

Luka and me arrived at 11ish, at our lazy manner. Hooked up with Scvoob and Kaz for few laps, then they went back to Eagle chair, and us back to Easy Rider...

Not too many people, but lots of whiteouts... Snow falling again! Wooo-hooo!

Looking at the forecast for next week, we'll have lots of white stuff. Just pray for the temps to stay low enough.

Hmmmm, which pow board comes out on Monday? :D Decissions, decissions...

Crew: Scoob, Ruwi, Pierre, BlueB

Lots of people... Snowing all day. About 5" acumullation in 4 hours. Tomorow should be great, if this carried on...

Ruwi showed up with Silber and struggled too much - had to borrow Roy's WCRM wide, while Roy graciously switched to Kesslert 180. Pierre was doing just fine on (previously mine) Virus Vampire - amazing how that board can handle variety of conditions.

I tested the BlueB plate on F2 ElDiablo - first time on short and wide board. I only could get the pivots on the closest configurtation. It worked very well. Later I switched to Tanker and had lots of fun. Funny, the big light board had more maneuvrabillity but less edge hold then the short plate-weigted F2...

Ok, let's hope the snowy condiotions carry on and Wednesday doesn't bring us tyhe forecasted warm up...

Good News: 30+ centimeters of new snow

Bad News. : Rain all the way to the tops of the mountain, zero visibility, and crowds like there was a Boxing Day Sale in the parking lots.

Got up to Cypress at 0900- could not see through the rain and was only able to go down the tree runs like Unrun, Humpty Dumpty, and Glades off of Sky Chair at anything resembling carving speed.

Spent half of the morning in the lift line ups, or picking my way carefully through the splayed out bodies of skiers and snowboarders who were sprawled everywhere. It was mildly entertaining to see people hit moguls and dips that they could not see at high speed and yard sale all over the mountain.

After two goggle changes and three pairs of glove changes, I went home at 1230. I saw Yoshi and Rebeka on softboot gear at 1030 in the lift line. They were enjoying themselves, but I bet they went home at lunch too.

Rod"Edgy" & me was there 09.00

Geo, I guess my Orange/Red jacket isn't bright enough...:p

Same here two goggles change at the end no goggles seems the best. Tried all chairs but no luck with the visi:( good snow, fast snow, good coverage most...Kessler 180 carved so good but 2-3 turn stop slide - 2 turn stop slide - 3 turn stop slide all the way back to chair. Kessler way to fast for the low visi.

Change Tanker 192.

Edgy inform me that all the POW stash are "SUCKY" :angryfire as he tried cut cross Upper Panorama to Lower Panorama. Last effort to find clear visi was at Humpty Dumpty, as I wait for the traffic to pass by I saw 2 almost colision between Jibbers in less then 2 min.:nono: Time to get out...

Anyway Sarita & gang came at 12 Noon got parking at sec "C" :freak3:: she just update that she was enjoying POW for 4 hours before they decided to pull out as rain start at 4PM...hmmm :confused: which site of stash did she enjoying...

Cypress report at 4PM: Snowing mid mountain, rain in the base

Snow report for Cypress: Thursday might be better as freezing level will be lower.

RT

post-6136-141842353855_thumb.jpg

Time to break out the soft boots as the last time I tried plates in the trees I think I just about died!

Calling Dave*, calling Dave*, for demonstration how it's done on hard boots! ;)

I'm no tree champ, but can do it. Here's what I found as important:

- Noodly board, 22 to 25 wide, 160 to 170 long, generous nose of gentle rise/decamber, taper doesn't hurt either

- Floppiest bindings you can find. Proflex/Carve RS work great, Race plates, Snowpro, F2...

- BTSed boots or at least softish boots

I only have silver pass to Cypress but it sounds like I haven't missed that much good weather this Christmas week.

This Thursday will be sunny and more snow on Wednesday

I am off to Whistler this Friday to see if I can find some powder. Time to break out the soft boots as the last time I tried plates in the trees I think I just about died!

It takes a while to find the right set up with HB & plate on POW deck but I did finally. I've seen and follow Dave* aka YETI ;) - 250lbs on HB run between trees just like carving between gates, also BlueB, crucible with their agility of their feet on moguls and steep 45* terrain.

RT

post-6136-141842353866_thumb.jpg

I am off to Whistler this Friday to see if I can find some powder. Time to break out the soft boots as the last time I tried plates in the trees I think I just about died!

I tried the tree runs at Cypress. I think certain places are ridable. I personally prefer my soft boot and freeride setup in extreme conditions.

Tricky face of Cypress... Visibility off, on, off, on, quite a bit of crowd, suggar on ice... But wait for the good part - it started snowing by mid afternoon!

Crew (scattered all over the place): Scooby, Geo & Maya, Bob "Snowman", Boris & Luka & Alan on skis...

Let it snow, let it snow...

Last day of 2011 and weather was cooperating :rolleyes:

Man Made Powder did it's job. Firm Sugar Corduroy, snow hold in the morning.

Play all day at JJA, try a few run on Midway and call it off around 1PM.

Today's toy: Coiler PR179 & SG 185. SG the most stable deck, best ever.

Met Geo and family, I lost you guys as I decided to switch to shorter board and never catch up again.

Unexpectedly met Katsu (Yoshii's father). Boris & Luka + Allan came later on ski.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012

I'll see u guys next year.

RT