Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2011-12

BlueB

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went over to the dark side and road my soft boots for a few years. So it is time to break out he Trench diggers again. Just waiting for enough snow so I don't find rocks at the bottom of said trenches.

I don't as of yet know any local hard shell riders so I hope to meet a few of you as we get more snow.

John

Welcome, John. I hear ya, need rock board for several week maybe less as the cold start coming in as tonite.

Tomorrow BlueB, kaz, Edgy & me will make some turn for a few hours and may b Cousin.. will join us.

We keep contact and update each other thru emails during winter seasons. Shoot me an email and I can get in touch with local booters, I call them YVR Carvers :). Email me: carvingchanel at yahoo dot ca

Cheers

RT

You can search Cypress Diaries and u''ll find YVR Carvers...

Have fun early in the season my friends. I will wait until at least 1m of descent coverage. I love my Rock Board so much:o. Also more coverage will be more friendly with my stiff back if I wipe out. Most likely to happen. So out of shape.:(

ruwi

No excuses bud. :p

U know where I am and you u know what I have in line...;) and if u can't find any...u always can shift your LandCruser in neutral and glide down to BlueB garage...just don't break the garage door :eplus2:;)

C ya soon, btw did u manage flip those intac?

RT

Arrived 10 ish with BlueB. Manage to get 2nd row right behind where JESUS Park his Toyota Sienna. (Too bad I didn't take pix ;)

Glad to be back...glad to see and play with great friends...nice environment. Cousin, kaz, Rod"Edgy"

Got chest and face plant on JJA on the 3rd run...:freak3: Lucky camera...:rolleyes: Sour right arm...

Glad I had my Winter"Rock"Stick

Cheers

RT (1)

post-6136-141842349778_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842349781_thumb.jpg

Maya and I are heading up for our first day of the season tomorrow, right after lunch... Hope to c u guys there!

Geo

Geo...high traffic hour but they'll open Lions might be not to bad. Cypress Mountain

We are scheduled to open LIONS EXPRESS Saturday for expert Skiers and Riders Only on Collins!...

I'm most likely off :(

Have fun,

RT

Awright Folks, I'm just new to this hardboot malarky. I got given an old Alpine board and bindings so I thought I should give it a go. Ruwi sorted me out with a pair of boots and pointed me in the direction of you boys. So if you see someone stumbling down the hill on a Hot Shine don't be afraid to hurl abuse or even just say hello. Hopefully I will see you on the hill very soon.

Alex

Awright Folks, I'm just new to this hardboot malarky. I got given an old Alpine board and bindings so I thought I should give it a go. Ruwi sorted me out with a pair of boots and pointed me in the direction of you boys. So if you see someone stumbling down the hill on a Hot Shine don't be afraid to hurl abuse or even just say hello. Hopefully I will see you on the hill very soon. Alex

Email me and I can get u intouch with other YVR Carvers

U might see crucible and his doughter. I haven't heard from xy9ine he might make some turn too.

Enjoy,

RT

Email: carvingchanel at yahoo dot ca

Hey what about Prior, Kessler, SG etc.....:rolleyes:

Any plan soon coming to West Coast, make sure have spare time to make some turn with us. Don't need decks just drag yr boots....

RT

I'd like to get out there, but I'm taking an MBA part-time for the next couple of years and it is really eating up my life (and vacation time).

A lot days feel like this :smashfrea.

I like reading about the YVR crew riding at Cypress. It's great to see such an active carving community.

Dave

Road were a bit slippery. There was only one car rolled over in the ditch on the Cypress Bowl Road. Rock star parking at 8:20.

9:00 Eagle Chair opened. Available runs were JJ, Maelle Ricker, Panorama, and Sidewinder. No crowds.

Mostly packed powder corduroy groomers. Along the side of JJ, there was 4" to 12" of freshies, which lasted several runs. The snow had slight moisture content, but it was dry enough. No stickiness. Light was slightly flat, increasing in contrast throughout the morning.

I made the CBC evening news.

When I left at noon, the queue was approximately 5 minutes.

Weapon of the day: Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm.

The majority of the regular YVR carving crew have full season passes- Boris (aka BlueB) of course works there, so his pass is part of his job.

Maya, Brenda and I made it up there by 1230- spent an hour on the North side running down Collins, then went over to the other side and spent the rest of the afternoon zipping down Panorama and Jasey Jay. LOTS of people, made slaloming through the meat gates a real challenge, but it felt great to be on the board again. There's still lots of small stones embedded in the runs, so keep on bringing up your rock boards- I had 5-6 shallow nicks in my base by the end of the day.

Didn't see any carvers, but I did see a guy rip by me on a 178cm monoski, which was pretty cool.

Geo

went up sunday morning. did a warmup lap on colins then headed to eagle. amazing the difference a week makes. runs were full width now, and there were no rocks. guns were blasting nonstop and conditions were decent for carving. quiet for the first couple hours (no wait in the singles line), then started to get backed up a bit near noon - my cue to leave. was on the 156 kessler (w/ expectations of many bodies and narrow runs) - fun turny little thing. great workout. blowing off the cobwebs; sure am out of shape though. legs were fried.

sweet olympic legacy hardware:

317615_10150365426735388_585955387_8738796_729304154_n.jpg

Awright Folks, I'm just new to this hardboot malarky. I got given an old Alpine board and bindings so I thought I should give it a go. Ruwi sorted me out with a pair of boots and pointed me in the direction of you boys. So if you see someone stumbling down the hill on a Hot Shine don't be afraid to hurl abuse or even just say hello. Hopefully I will see you on the hill very soon.

Alex

Welcome Alex!

I teach hard boots at Cypress Snow School. Let's start you the right way. I'll give you a free setup/carpet carving clinic, like I do with all interested newbies, then let's do couple of lessons at Cypress. Snow cover is getting very good already. Contact me for more info on various packages / discounts, etc...

Email: boris at blueb dot biz

9:00 to 2:00

Overcast. Light was flat, but corduroy, pits, and bumps made the snow easy to read.

There was about 12" of fresh wet snow at the sides of Jasey-Jay. Otherwise it was corded groomers.

In the morning, the snow was mostly moisture-laden and compacted. Softened to semi-mush in the afternoon.

Eagle side grooming was better than Collins on the Lions side.

At 2:00, the fog and rain arrived, so it was time to leave.

Good coverage. Saw a couple of rocks at the entrance to Collins.

Weapon of the day: Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm with Burton P1 bindings.

Hey All,

Looks like the weather will be good on Friday so my plan is to come out and try and carve off the rust, the plan is to be there for first tracks.

First time in the new shells and bindings so we will see how they feel.

Deeluxe 700T and TD3SI. BlueB are you around Friday to get some feedback on the setup I currently have?

went up for the first night of the season. pretty quiet up there. snow was hardening up as temps dropped. humpty to horizon now open & general coverage is looking good - ie, people were hitting rainbow & bowen during the day (was closed when i was there). things are shaping up.

heading to whistler tonight for a couple days...

I was expecting a bit of snow over groomed and brought Highlander and Proto... However it turned out it's a real blizzard up there... Ended up riding the Proto all day.

It's snowing even below the viewpoint - nice and cold, windy though. Visibility was medium, no crowd. By 1:30 when I left, it was feeling as a real pow day and the tracks were filling quicker then we could make them. Looking good, Rainbow and Bowen filling in, Humpty great, part of the Cat Track/Glades open, some ice still exposed on steeper part of Horizon... Eagle mountain was way too windy, so I did only 2 runs down JJA.

I ran into Kaz and we carried on together. His Ogasaka SL performed really good in the miged conditions! Very nice modern shape, rounded tail, metal... Kaz rides with really clean race inspired technique - right on buddy!

Tomorrow should be sunny, should be hero after all this snow! I need to see if I can finish my stuff quickly in the morning...