Note to New Members ×

A-basin or Loveland?

teach

I'm hoping to get to Summit Co. maybe the Nov 5 weekend or the Nov 19 weekend. My first visit was last spring -- I rode Loveland on the closing day, and A-basin after that, and they were both great. I'm wondering what conditions are like now. I see mostly manmade snow, 18" base, etc., but few trails open yet. Anyone want to give an opinion on how much might be open by early November? Worth bringing a carving board? Is decent grooming to be expected? I'm leaning toward Loveland, since they have the frequent-ride pass which makes it pretty cheap... suggestions?

Anyone riding Loveland or A-Basin regularly yet?

Of those two weekends, your best bet is to wait as long as you can, plan for the 19th weekend. Both are open now but they are both in need of snow, natural and farmed. The longer you can wait the greater the chance that they will get help from above.

As far as boards go, heck yeah bring the carver. Opening weekend saw Monodude on Virus skis, Jim on his big prior, Angie on her coiler, Big Mario on two different Doneks, KarverKai on Virus and me on an SG and Virus. The manmade that they put down has gotten very firm with some freeze/thaw cycles so you don't really have to worry about hitting anything. Just ride with and where the LCI goes and you should be good.

That said, getting a Loveland 4-pak is a great way to go, I think even better than the frequent ride pass. You will receive actual tickets, can go straight to the lift and can sell/give off any that you don't use. JP1 has done this for two seasons and is set for his third early December by buying 2 4-paks and playing for 8 days. Question him on what he thinks.

Ink

I've been to A-Basin 8 times so far, but for example yesterday I only got 3 runs in before it was time to leave. As the only open Vail Resort, everybody is going there and only two runs are open. It's ridonkulous-amundo. On the A-Basin runs I have never hit a rock, so the coverage is pretty good. I don't understand why they are still reporting only an 18" base, because that's what they had at open, and there has been well over a foot of new snowfall since then.

The past week was a showcase of top snowboard racers, with both the US and Japanese teams doing practice runs there. They move on to Copper next week for gates. If you can handle the steep blues which are the only runs open, then carving snow conditions are pretty good, but I'm looking forward to some green runs so I can work on technique without the feeling of impending peril.

Keystone opens on Nov. 4, and that will take pressure off of A-Basin but the forecast is only for a minor amount of new natural snow between now and then. A-Basin might be able to make enough snow to open a little more terrain, but I don't think it will be much. By Nov 19 Breck will be open as well and the people will spread out even more.

Waiting is better. I haven't tried Loveland yet, but by the 19th it should be way better than now.

Thanks for the reports and advice. E-the-F, that's one thing I was afraid of, good to get the inside story. Inkaholic, you're right, the 4 packs are the way to go. I'll order now! I'll definitely seek out the LCI group. Jim, I've actually never ridden in powder...

Yes, Loveland sucks!

This feels like walking in on a poker game. Is there a concensus amongst the crew regarding the best place to get the boards a grind? - Denver, Frisco, Dillon or even Boulder. All places I'll be at some point, like every year.

Also, D.T. owes Ink a beer - I bought the Oldenburg on Ink's recommendation. We'll see though, it's all so subjective. Thanks for any responses. Dave

Has anybody carved some turns at Loveland since they got dumped on last week? Looks as though they will get more snow tomorrow and Wed. The only groomed runs open are Lower Richards and Spill Way (intermediates) and Mambo&Homerun (beginners). Let me know if it is any good. Thinking of trying out the demo I bought from Sean (all metal FC).

Is there a concensus amongst the crew regarding the best place to get the boards a grind? - Denver, Frisco, Dillon or even Boulder.
Ice uses Precision in Frisco; I've never used them myself.

There is one guy at Boulder Ski Deals that is supposedly worth while - he did a good repair job on one of Ink's boards. I'm not sure who Bola is using these days.

Regarding places in Denver, I've never been anywhere twice - I've never been happy with any of their tunes or their inability to follow simple instructions. I used to have access to a machine, so I did them myself. Sadly, that "mom & pop shop" closed, now I'm have to figure out what I'm going to do...

Has anybody carved some turns at Loveland since they got dumped on last week? Looks as though they will get more snow tomorrow and Wed. The only groomed runs open are Lower Richards and Spill Way (intermediates) and Mambo&Homerun (beginners).

Your answer lies in this thread.

Lovey opened more terrain yesterday. The early morning carving was mid-season good, other than the crowds and kooks. I imagine it would have become pretty soft in the afternoon. Coverage was fine; I'd ride any of my quiver on the groomers.

Crowds were noticeably fewer this morning, but there are still only 2 runs open and one of them was being used for gates. I was having an ok time skidding down the too-steep-for-me High Noon run with all the people around until I hit a rock. Judging from the superficiality of the scar it might have only been a floater, but that's enough to keep me home until more snow falls midweek. They haven't been making snow on the main opens runs lately because the guns are needed elsewhere. Maybe they are getting scraped thin?

Driving by Keystone I could see little mountains of machine snow on the runs under the gondola, ready to get pushed flat by this Friday.

• 1 month later...

After having visited Loveland for the first time yesterday, I'd have to say that Lovey is the better early season, primarily dependent on machine-made snow, place to carve. I'm speaking in terms of overall value for the Dollar, rather than absolute carving experience.

JP1 asked me yesterday if A-Basin had about the same amount of open terrain. I said yes, but the more I thought about it the more it seemed that Loveland was bigger. From checking the claimed amounts of open acreage, Loveland has more than twice the amount of open area.

Downsides? All day yesterday at Lovey, I never rode a detachable lift. I know that there is a new lift 4, but it isn't open yet. Probably windier at Loveland on any given day as well.

A-Basin currently has a better top-to-bottom carving experience, and the benefit of a big, wide, long, steady pitch run like High Noon. You can "open up" more at A-Basin, especially if you are on a big radius board. The high-speed lift from the bottom is a plus.

Loveland is less expensive for lift tickets, and one can actually buy food there and eat without feeling like you're being gouged. All Vail Resorts food pricing is egregious.

If I was visiting the area today without any of the limitations of being locked into a Vail Resorts pass, I'd go to Loveland. All bets are off when A-Basin opens 100%, however.

Not to jinx things, but it looks like more snow is on the way next week.

For a visitor headed out in a few days, would it be worth it to plan a day trip from the Frisco area up to Steamboat? They seem to have substantially more open then anywhere else in CO, aside from Wolf Creek of course, and just got another 7" last night.

Appreciate the tuning suggestions too. I may need to have a new board ground. :D

And did some mention beer?!--New Belgium Brewing Company 1554 Ale--I've been waiting years to sample it again :biggthump You guys are lucky to have such a fine, local libation.