Note to New Members ×

2011/2012 UPZ Boots

Puddy Tat

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a set of the ATBs on order for AM riding. Less wild about this years colour, but it'll probably grow on me.

While it can't be really seen in this picture, it does look like UPZ has modified the toe block to fit better into the toe bails of bindings. See the hyperlink in the first post under ATB and the "all mountatin sole" and "intec compatible" pictures for some better detail of the toe block.

I also think the green RC-10 boot is pretty sweet.

I don't know if UPZ dropped the RC-8 (after one season) or if Dan just isn't stocking them this year?

Dave

post-7081-141842347209_thumb.jpg

The ATB boots are posted as "supersoft" is there another boot on the market that this can be compared to? I love my AF600 blue and gold but they need to be put to rest. Im looking for a boot with that same flex and stiffness as them.

Thanks all.

When I asked Dan about how stiff these actually were last year he said "They are pretty soft." Though most other boots could probably be called soft when compared to the RTRs or RC-10s he normally sells. After I get my pair of ATBs this year I can give you my opinion of stiffness comparison vs the Deeluxe T225 that I was freeriding in last year. Though I'm not sure that will help you if you don't know the feel of a T225.

Dave

I'm coming from AF600 with BTS and yellow springs so a pretty soft setup. I moved to UPZ RC-10, 2 seasons ago. I was expecting a hard transition but it went very well. They are stiffer but they do have a very smooth flex to them. You can read my review in the boots review of them. I will most likely change the liner to a thermo liner this year because I'm freezing in them, it should soften up the boot a little too.

When I asked Dan about how stiff these actually were last year he said "They are pretty soft." Though most other boots could probably be called soft when compared to the RTRs or RC-10s he normally sells. After I get my pair of ATBs this year I can give you my opinion of stiffness comparison vs the Deeluxe T225 that I was freeriding in last year. Though I'm not sure that will help you if you don't know the feel of a T225.

Dave

Dave,

Interested in your comparison thoughts. I like the idea of the atb, but most likely will end up with the rc10 with soft tongue. I'm coming out of old raichle 324's so I would assume these would be similar to your 225's.

Thanks

Dave,

Interested in your comparison thoughts. I like the idea of the atb, but most likely will end up with the rc10 with soft tongue. I'm coming out of old raichle 324's so I would assume these would be similar to your 225's.

Thanks

Ok I'll make sure to post something in the boot reviews section when I get my hands on them.

Dave

Okay, I started back to snowboarding this past season after a twenty year hiatus, last used some homemade plates and Dynafit ski boots (circa 1985). I started with some modified ski boots (Scarpa TX) which worked fine once I elongated the slot in the ski/walk mode. So now that I was hooked, I scored some UPZ ATB from All Board Sports and rode them with some Scarpa liners. I like the ATB, though they are a little soft for riding harder snow.

So here's my conundrum:

I want a range of boot flexes, from soft to hard, so the ATB is my soft boot, now I need to decide how to outfit a medium boot. I picked up some used UPZ RTR this summer with black (medium) and grey (stiff) tongues, with a plan to change out the soles to the Board/AT soles like used on the ATB and get a red tongue (soft).

Now I'm having second thoughts about putting money into an older boot, so what I'm wondering is should I stay with the current plan (RTR with red tongues and AT soles), get some new RC 10 with a red tongue and AT soles, or get another pair of ATB with a medium tongue?

I can also mix and match with my current ATB, though I have not tried them with a stiffer tongue yet.

Anyone tried riding their ATB with a stiffer tongue?

Okay, I started back to snowboarding this past season after a twenty year hiatus, last used some homemade plates and Dynafit ski boots (circa 1985). I started with some modified ski boots (Scarpa TX) which worked fine once I elongated the slot in the ski/walk mode. So now that I was hooked, I scored some UPZ ATB from All Board Sports and rode them with some Scarpa liners. I like the ATB, though they are a little soft for riding harder snow.

So here's my conundrum:

I want a range of boot flexes, from soft to hard, so the ATB is my soft boot, now I need to decide how to outfit a medium boot. I picked up some used UPZ RTR this summer with black (medium) and grey (stiff) tongues, with a plan to change out the soles to the Board/AT soles like used on the ATB and get a red tongue (soft).

Now I'm having second thoughts about putting money into an older boot, so what I'm wondering is should I stay with the current plan (RTR with red tongues and AT soles), get some new RC 10 with a red tongue and AT soles, or get another pair of ATB with a medium tongue?

I can also mix and match with my current ATB, though I have not tried them with a stiffer tongue yet.

Anyone tried riding their ATB with a stiffer tongue?

From reading this site I'm starting to get the feeling that the RC-10s may be softer than the RTRs they replaced. This is only an opinion, as I only have RTRs. But it seems historically people thought UPZs were really stiff, lately I've been seeing posts indicate that the RC-10s UPZs stiffest current boot weren't all that stiff. I think Allee even mention they were soft.

Dave

Hey, guys that have the boots either from this year or from recent years....Are the liners in these junk? They don't look to be all that bad, but I get cold feet (in the physical sense....) easily. I'm really thinking about buying a pair for this season, but just trying to factor in whether or not I'm going to have to spend another ~$200 or so on liners, or if I can wait a season or two before grabbing new liners.

Any input is appreciated

:biggthump

Hey, guys that have the boots either from this year or from recent years....Are the liners in these junk? They don't look to be all that bad, but I get cold feet (in the physical sense....) easily. I'm really thinking about buying a pair for this season, but just trying to factor in whether or not I'm going to have to spend another ~$200 or so on liners, or if I can wait a season or two before grabbing new liners.

Any input is appreciated

:biggthump

I'd ride the stock liners first and see what you think. I had mine out in -20C quite a few times last year and the year before, and i didn't notice my feet were any colder than they were in my thermo Tracks. A good pair of Smartwool socks makes all the difference.

I will invest in a few pairs of thicker smartwool socks for this winter. I've been using ultra-thin synthetic material socks so I can have room for toe warmers...though, now that i think about it....the toe warmers never work that well for me because aren't they activated and fueled by oxygen? hm...new thread time. :nono: