Note to New Members ×

Virus board

Like carving

Hi everybody, I'm looking to buy a Virus board for next winter. I do not make any competition, I ride for fun and I like extreme carving. I want to be as low as possible to the ground when I ride. I'm looking for a virus scalpel or extreme carving but before I want to know if anyone of you have one of those board and I will like to have your comment before I spend 1500$!!!,

thank you,:confused:

I own an X-tremecarver Titanal and also tested the Scalpel. My preference for EC is the X-tremecarver. Anything particular you want to know about these boards?

Maybe if you tell us your level of experience and also the boards you own / ride / like, people here will be able to give you feedback more tailored for you.

Until then here are 2 pics of my X-treme in action

Later

post-2318-141842344837_thumb.jpg

post-2318-14184234484_thumb.jpg

Thank for your feedback, I ride now a WRC Prior metal with 9m radius, the board is going very well and give me a smooth ride. Sometime a little bit snappy when I finished my turn. I'm on my 4 years on hard boot now and I have a lot to learn. I can do extreme carving but the snow condition need to be perfect otherwise I cannot.

Did you order direct from germany?

I had Scalpel and plan to get another one. This board is fun and very easy to ride. If you are interested at EC, this board will do it for you. Just put it on the edge and “fall” into the turn early. The board will do the rest. You do not need only groomed slopes for Scalpel. I rode it in powder and also in moguls. Contact Frank, he can give you the best info.

post-159-141842344849_thumb.jpg

I bought it from Frank / Virus. When something catches my eyes I try put my hands on a demo board first to test it and then if I like it I order one directly from Frank. He is very helpful when it comes to figuring out what you really need. But he's usually quite busy, so it's not easy to catch him :)

Compared to the Prior WCR (which I never rode, but checked out the specs) the X-treme will feel very wide. Wide boards will help you mastering EC, but there is also a flip side: edge-to-edge will be much slower.

Also, the X-treme (and if I correctly also the Scalpel) are kinda flat with a de-cambered nose. Again, this comes handy for EC, but there is a price you have to pay for it.

Again, the best advice I can give is to try to demo one so that you know what you gonna get.

Other than that, no need to say, both are great boards, the usual top Virus quality.

Later

Thank you for all your advice. The scalpel seem to be longer board for the same radius compare to the X-Treme. It's difficult for me to try a demo while I live in Canada. I think I will take a chance and buy a Scalpel. I ride 9m radius now, what is the best radius to xc? I try last year a nidecker GS 12m radius that I bought. 12m radius is to much for me.... where I ride there is not enough space to handle the turn. Also the board was not good when I finished the turn it was very hard to change side at the end of the turn (maybe my technique is not good...), anyway what kind of radius I should get?

I try last year a nidecker GS 12m radius that I bought. 12m radius is to much for me....

Red flag. If you can't handle a 12m sidecut, you will not realize the benefits of a $1500 board. The Nidecker is a fine board, it is not holding you back. When you feel like YOU are riding better than IT, that is the time to think about an upgrade. 12m is not a long radius. The EC guys use 13m boards and longer. Extreme Carving is an expert-level maneuver. Trying to do it before you have mastered basic carving will usually result in bad habits like bending over at the waist and reaching down for the snow with your hands.

Agreed. EC is typically done on boards around 13-14m radius. Also saw people doing it on long GS sticks with radius above 16m. Short radius will not let you go down and fully extend as they turn too quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible, but way more difficult than on an optimal radius.

If you feel that bigger radius hinders you to make the board turn, most probably there is some room for improvement on the technique. If the body position is ok and the timing of the push is accurate, you can turn a big radius board around a glass of beer. :)

Later,

I believe the best thing is to ask Frank directly. He was a great help when I ordered my board. Am extremely happy with my purchase :1luvu:

You can tell him your spec like height, weight, riding level, boards in mind, technique you want like EC and he'll definitely cook something for you.

and the model that stood above rest and allowed me to do any type or shape of turn anywhere I wanted to was the UFC.Not the prettiest Virus(I like the glossy,colored tops better) but,for me it was the best performing board I have ever ridden(demoed @SES 11).

In my opinion it is not just a size of side cut radius. I had board from one of North America builders. I never got feel for it and radius was not too big. It is entire board construction. And also Virus has an elliptical side cut. I would not recommend all Viruses for you. But Scalpel is really funny and easy board. When I got Scalpel I noticed it had definitively more shallow side cut than the rest of my Viruses I rode in that time but I had fun on it from the first run. I am mainly riding shorter boards than Scalpel. My friend got my Scalpel and I saw very nice improvement in his ridding. As Istvan mentioned you can EC any board even short ones Virus Rocket 162 for example, but some boards make it easier. My dream Scalpel would have chopped nose and EVO 3 construction like UFC.:rolleyes: (Hopefully I will post my UFC review later today.)

Yeah, Swords are 12 to 14 scr, that's what their "gospel" calls for... However, Joerg of Pureboarding ECs a storm on his 9 scr. I did it on sticks from 8 to 20 scr... 12 feels, to me, as the sweet spot, but that's what I like for other styles, too.

I'd say that flex is WAY more important factor then scr. Some nose decamber is great help too.

One of our local riders had his major brake-through on a Scalpel.

EC on 8m scr:

attachment.php?attachmentid=26810&stc=1&d=1302396930

I liked the UFC Narrow more than the UFC, but both are great boards. Most probably because the sweet spot form me in width is around 17-18cm. Both feel like they have a longer effective edge than they seem to have. Both feel very "sticky" when coming out of the turns. I also have to admit that I prefer the traditional Virus nose over the new square one, not because of the looks, but because of the feel. I feel the traditional nose leaves more room to make changes to the turn and also the release feels softer. Can't define it more precisely, but if you tried both, you'll know what I mean.

@Ladia: sure, the progressive / changing sidecut of the Virus boards gives you a great feeling, you can easily shorten the turns if you want. Question: the Scalpel does not have a too big camber and pop, right? That's what I can recall from testing, but I tested it 2-3 yrs back in Zinal, so I'm not sure. Also, I remember that it had a terrific edge hold, I felt it didn't even want to release me when coming out of the turn.

@Like Carving: Virus has many great boards and all of them are different worlds. Even the ones that look alike, e.g. a Gladiator and a Berserker are completely different. Now the X-treme and the Scalpel are very differently behaving boards and both are pretty far from the traditional narrow poppy Virus feeling. Given the price, it is really worth testing before buying to make sure that you buy something that you really wanted. Or you may want to buy both :)

Later,

Thank you for all your comment, I think I will try the scalpel with a 10m radius witch is 1 m more then my prior WC metal. So I will get use to a longer radius. I had problem with my nidecker GS 12m r because where I ski trail are not wide enough to follow the board path. I will put an order this week, I wont tell my wife otherwise i will never get the board....

Thank you for all,;)

The board is less then 1500$ in fact. it more around 1100$ with the conversion today. I always heard that virus are very well made and Germany have the reputation to be top notch builder and engineer in many sector. You think Donek is better? I never try one before.

Well if it's $1100 that's basically a wash. I'm not trying to say whether Donek or Virus is the better board, just that at the level of riding you've indicated you're at, you're not going to feel a difference between two premium boards like that, so you may as well save your money. I'm not trying to put you down here at all, just giving it to you straight.

Now, your statements are conflicting. You say you want to get into Extreme Carving, but you also say your trails are too narrow for it. I think you should master that 12m Nidecker you already have before you go dropping 4 figures on any new board. A 12m sidecut can be carved on narrow trails, under the right feet.