Note to New Members ×

Virus board

Like carving

Thank you, with my actual board I can go very close to the ground on both side (around 1.5' from the ground) but the turn are so tight that I dont have time to completly lay down before the next turn. With my GS 12 m radius this board is much less flexible then the one I have right now (prior WRC metal) I got difficulty to modify my radius by bending the board with G force. Any way i may wait another season and try it harder.

thank you for all your advice, :cool:

Go buy a coiler or a prior if you are from Canada.

You wont feel a difference if you cant master a 12m radius.

Virus is good but I have ridden only those narrow and poppy ones, so those were hard to ride.

You need some adaptation time to master a small Virus. It's more difficult to adapt from a wide to small board than the other way around. By the way, the scalpel is a wide excarving board. Can't go wrong with that one.

I doubt the UFC would be the right board for you. It's a very good EC board for experts, and provides more edge grip than any other board I know, but it needs a lot of experience and it's too fast for you.

The Scalpel should be the best Virus for you, since it is known as the most forgiving wide Virus.

A testride would be a good idea though.

A 12m sidecut can be carved on narrow trails, under the right feet.

Jack's been hitting the nail on the head every time here, but I dont want to boost his ego too much so I'll add that he's probably bald and ugly or something.

Like riding, I was in a similar spot like you, wanted to ride from the beginning on the best of the best and master EC-ing, everything. My over-ambition probably set me back a year or more skill-wise, I picked up numerous bad habits like reaching for the snow every single second. At the time I was riding on small radius boards and thought I was a pretty damn good, but the moment on I got on something bigger (13m, 18, or even 23m) I thought wow thats too big for real snowboarding, Id need a football field to carve on this thing. I was wrong, so wrong. Now that Im a bit better my favorite boards are getting longer and longer with bigger sidecuts even on the same narrow trails I ride.

I'm hoping the longer boards don't all but vanish as i too like to ride my 186 coiler but damn the shorter boards with nose and tail decamber sure do make life easier. Now that more of the shorter boards are circulating it's only a matter of time before one of those new coiler twin tips get matched up to a pair of soft boots and my world gets turned upside down. (Knuckle draggers look out !)

longer = better :p

Just love my 185 .

I would have to disagree with you and most in here ,tried both,started from short then went long and longer and longer and started going shorter again, shorter is way easier with less effort and by far better(for me that is),the only sacrifice is stability at really high speed!

16-18-21-23 scr's are for runs that are wide and at normal speed's no mater how good or heavy you are it still takes a lot of speed and effort to bend them on narrow runs (and I'm 6,4 and 240-245 pound's!)!

On my 1.67 10 scr board there is enough room now to make complete circles at runs that i wouldn't even dream of me fitting with my 16-18 scr 1,85 board!

Shorter boards are more versitile and playfull and that's a fact!

76t5f.jpg

And for you that seem to forget!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAtK47c8PM

And this is what Casper wrote!

"i currently am 68kilo., i purchased this year a prior 163 metal wcrmr. i thought that this board would replace the beamer for turning super sharp but it is too hard flexing for me. to much work. the beamer is very soft (8.5scr). not good for high speed but turns incredibility sharp and EASY to ride. i don't ride fast typically. i am almost 50 years old and don't have the strength that i used to have. that is why i think soft flex.?"

By the way aren't most of you old fart's like me (I'm 46!)in here?

Just wondering how long it takes for any thread to turn into one of the standard subjects, and if it's possible for you to tell ahead of time which end-point it's going to head for.

I'm thinking the usual end-points are:

• "my **** is bigger than yours".
  • "people without helmets are stupid".
  • "people with iPods are stupid".
  • "old gear is an offence against decency".
  • "you can't turn without a plate".

Ok, I'm only annoyed because I only weigh 62kgs so I'm always going to lose the ****-size contests. Maybe I could wear some sort of weight-jacket. Perhaps that's the next big thing for the "carving" industry. I'm also annoyed because I received my first unsolicited cruise-ship brochure the other day, which means I'm now officially an old fart.

Like Carving,

Good deal you can buy Virus for $1,100! Especially considering price range of "normal" Virus boards... Worth every penny, though.

Coiler, Donek and Prior are also excellent brands you should try at some stage (I'm hoping to try Coiler soon), but glad you got your mind set! Did you talk to Frank about the board before deciding?