Note to New Members ×

notwax

Guest vaguelyevilguy

Guest vaguelyevilguy

What's molybedum wax?

I'm going up to kirkwood in december, riding a 156cm salomon freeride board. My friend always kicks my ass on his santa cruz; I want to catch up. However, I'm also pretty broke. What's a good, cheap wax for cold snow (or reasonably cold. I don't have a thermometer). I have a sintered graphite base, and will be riding both powder and groomers.

Yep...take it from an oooold ski racing coach: Household parafin. Steel it from your mom's canning supplies or buy it at Safeway. It's not for real cold temps, and not for super slushy days. But for those avaerage cold winter days to wet snow it's great. I use it 75% of the time. Most wax is a rip-off. Unless we're ski racing, no necessito.

Originally posted by bobdea

Jack loves the stuff as do allot of other people it really comes down to preference

Wha?!? Zardo's notwax should be illegal!! It is TOO fast for public consumption! It violates the 2nd law of Thermodynaics! It's the snow equivalent to flubber! You may actually become younger while using it!! Damn you Helmut Karvelow for sneaking it onto my board!!

is just normal wax with molybdenum added it works well it help cut some static and when it is slushsy it help repel that nasty spring gunk that seems to want to cling to your board

in really dry snow graphite wax can work really well

I used to work with the head chemist for Notwax at NREL about 8 years ago. I learned a lot about the stuff. The intersting thing is the comment on it's price. NotWax was a Dow byproduct that was simply sitting in barrels hoping to find a home. The original company was getting it for free. The founder of that company died and the company was sold, so I don't know the current situation.

Notwax is a liquid flouropolymer. Huh?!... Many of you have probably used flourinated wax. The reason it works well is because it has flourocarbon (ground up teflon) in it. Because water molecules have a charge, like charged molecules will tend to repel it. These materials are called hydrophobic. Flourine is one of these hyfrophobic materials. In wet snow, a highly flourinated base will actually repel the water much like a well waxed automobile, making it glide very fast in conditions that would normally be very slow. As you can probably guess a flourinated wax has limited applications. These applications are mostly at temperatures that permit melted snow to develop under the board or when the snow is already wet.

Notwax is an excellent product for spring and warm conditions. If you use notwax by itself, it has a limited life, but can be easily reapplied on the hill. Very small amounts go a very long way. Using it in powder will actually leave you very dissapointed unless it's a wet snow. If you want to get the benefits of the material and a longer lasting application, apply a sparing coat of not wax to a clean base and then hotwax over it with a suitable temp wax. You'll have to work a bit harder to get the wax to penetrate the base, but you'll have an application that will frequently last a full day.

Krytox® GPL 206 grease is clear, colorless, fluorinated synthetic grease that is nonreactive, nonflammable, safe in chemical and oxygen service, and are long-lasting. Krytox® is a perfluoropolyether (PFPE)—also called perfluoro-alkylether (PFAE) or perfluoropolyalkylether (PFPAE).

http://store.yahoo.com/vacuumshopper/krpelu.html

or

Super Lube Aerosol may not be exactly the same but its $5 buck for a spray can!! maybe worth a shot!

http://wttool.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WT&Category_Code=67040015p&Source=xml

http://www.buysuperlube.com/aerosol.htm

A multi-purpose PTFE based synthetic lubricant available in aerosol form. Super Lube aerosol disperses and penetrates while lubricating and loosening rust and dirt. Super Lube aerosol offers continuous protection as it "set-up" and forms a grease film barrier that defends against oxidation. This barrier helps extend the life of your equipment and reduces maintenance

Originally posted by Kent

You're questions are too vague to give you 100% answer. It depends on snow temp and humidity.

As mentioned, Notwax works well when combine with hot waxing, but sheet when used alone.

The only honest answer to your question is to buy an iron and learn about hot waxing....

Start with all temp waxes if you use temp specific waxex the you won't be sure of your results...Waxing is fun BTW

Guest Ghostrider

I've heard these rumors that putting Rain-X on your base during wet conditions is extremely fast and outlawed in FIS level racing?

Anybody ever tried it or know if this is just some kind of mountain urban legend?

i

Originally posted by Pre School Rider

I've tried these various things in the past on my boards to go faster in the Wet. I'll list them in order of success. 1] Zardox Not Wax. It's an additive,or can be used by itself,and also can be considered a 'rub on'.It works in any wet snow at temps above 25*F right on up through the low 70's.Mixed,it makes for iffy wax absorbtion,leaving spots un-waxed.By itself,or added to a wax coat,it's a great add-on,but wears out in half a day.Easy to re-apply though.No harm to the board that I can see. 2] Spray Silicon,from the hardware store. Use only as an add-on.Goes great in warm,wet conditions above 50*F,but seems to 'dry out' unprotected bases,and only lasts a few runs. 3] Silicon-impregnated wax. Have loved this stuff,but it's getting hard to find. Very soft,hard to blend with other waxes,but it a good base-coat on days that go from cold to warm.Works best in the mid twenties up to the low-mid 50's,and lasts as well as you waxed it in.Oh,and can be scraped mid-day,or have one of the two things I mention above added as a rub-on for when it really warms up. 4] F-2 or Swix rub-on Paste.Really dosen't do so well at temps above the mid-40's,and dosen't shed oils or goo at all.Fast when first applied,it wears of quickly.Nice for days you didn't quite wax right,but not good in really warm/wet conditions.Base friendly,and easy to use,good for preventing 'base-burn' on granular snow. 5] Other stupid stuff I've done... :o I've used {in desperate times} Soft-Scrub soap,applied the day before with Scotchbrite pads,when we were faced with 75*F weather at my level 2 AASI exam. Mr. Burt thought of it,I think.Left sudsy bubbles for a lap or two,and did keep the goo at bay.Not fast,but economical,kinda fun,even! ;) I've used Rain-X,once,on my old Sims 1800 raceboard. It never did wax right again,helluva way to kill a classic swallowtail,just for one day's riding. It was at Killington,in mid June,and the temps were in the low 80's.Nothing else I could think of (even spray silicon!) would let the board run for more than a run or two.Rain-X did work for that day,kinda sleazy-fast,but when tried to wax it for summer storage,the wax shed off quickly in lumps.I sold the board the next season,regetted it ever since...

that is from another thread on the same subject

When Notwax first hit the market my buddy and I talked with the Notwax people at the ski/snowboard show in Vegas. We got the bright idea to just get some krytox and see if it worked since it was the main (and seemed like the only ingredient). We were able to get a sample bottle because we worked in the prop making business and thought that we might use it for a mold release agent.

It does work but not nearly as well as Notwax. Notwax is the turbocharger of wax products.

Does anyone know if you can get krytox in small quantities?