Note to New Members ×

Question: BBP doable on shorter board (VSR 168)?

Hans

Just got my Bomber Boiler Plate in and I think I will not have the chance to ride it anymore this season. I just have a question. Is it useful, profitable and doable to ride the BBP on a 4x4 Coiler 168 VSR (sidecut about 11 - 12 )?

Thanks for responding ;)

Thanks Pokkis for the feedback. I regret it that I didn't took the time last sunday to try it on my Oxess. The conditions were so good (fresh fallen firm packed snow, blue sky, sunny, moderate to warm temps), I thought I wouldn't miss a minute on my board so took it without the plate.

Okay. My only concern is that on short boards with short radius that I am/was afraid that the BBP was too chunky/heavy on those boards. In other words: any chance you will loose some of the quick responsiveness of a short board with the BBP on it?

I was on Apex 163 with Apex own plates sytem on weekend, and i must say that i did not needed more quickness for that board than it had, regardless weight is on almost same level with BBP. It was responsive and easy to pump speed and do jumps. Unfortunately that board has only inserts for that plate so i can not compare it to BBP.

Hans, I currently have my BBP mounted with UPM hardware on my new Donek Metal 167. Have about 20 runs on it and like the way it rides. The biggest issue is that I find myself going way too fast and the sidecut may be a bit tight for the speed. Really like the leverage and Cadillac ride.

Tried the BBP on a Donek 182 Metal Race and my Donek 171 Metal FC. My favorite with the BBP is the 171 as this sidecut works better for me. I also have a Donek Plate mounted via UPM on Donek FCII Glass 171 that I am comparing.

Try it on the shorter board. Think you might like it.

Take care, Tom

It was great on my Stubby 171. The Boiler does come with a weight and height penalty, but the performance makes it worth it. Also, you get used to the weight and height. Kind of like when you were a kid and you got the next bigger size bike. It felt tall and awkward at first, but then you got used to it and were terrorizing the neighborhood again.

The only thing about the 5mm BBP for me is that it is carve-only. I don't like it for skidding or slashing turns, so I don't use it for all-mtn riding. My Stubby is my all-mtn board so my BBP is probably just going to live on my NSR 185.

Hans,

I've raced and have had several riding days on my Madd 158 F3 with the BBP on it. The plate takes up 3/4 of the entire board. I had the same thoughts before I rode the plate on the Madd Hans as you did. I thought it would slow the board down edge to edge transition and not make it as lively. I was wrong, I actually could not even feel the weight of the plate on the little 58 at all. What the BBP did do to the Madd was make it even more lively. If I timed loading the tail correctly I could get even more pop out of the tail with the BBP on it than without. The BBP actually widdened the sweet spot (that is small on the Madd), it made it more rideable. I did not have to work has hard to ride the Madd with the plate on it.

BBP = more pop out of any board I've had the plate on.

I can't comment directly on the bbp but Kieran kindly lent me his Donek Plate a couple of days ago. It was mounted on my SG race 163. The conditions were atrocious, wet/chopped up snow.

I have been a little spectical about plate systems especially on short/slalom boards. I only had a couple of runs but WOW:1luvu:. I am now totally convinced.

I to was worried about weight/responsiveness but after I realised the plate system was making crap snow feel like fresh groom I was upto speed. Kieran can confirm this.

So Hans definitely do it.

At the risk of boring people to death on my preferance to riding a plate my experience last year of riding a 186 cm board with a plate is spring mashed potatoes reaffirms my claim that riding a plate enhances any board but most noticeably in less than perfect conditions. Die hard riders will want a plate in most conditions. For perfect groomed runs no , but i don't get those conditions every time i ride. When riding my 173 AM Coiler with UPM plate the bonus seems to come when riding in choppy conditions, or corn slugs, or ice, the weight is an issue with carrying extra snow but the smooth ride over chop makes it possible to ride longer when others have packed it in. The added bennifit of a soft plate that sits 14.8mm off the board also aids in slower speed stability an issue some have indicated as undesirable but can be overcome with continued plate use. Plate flex (hard or soft) is an issue you need to address depending on your riding style hard for racing, softer for freeriding , all-mountain. If considering a plate for future riding this time of year is the best time to be testing out what a plate can do under the most severe conditions. Pool some $$$ buy a plate and share with your friends. If you don't like it i'm sure someone on BOL would gladly take it off your hands especially after all the glowing reviews .:biggthump

Okay. My only concern is that on short boards with short radius that I am/was afraid that the BBP was too chunky/heavy on those boards. In other words: any chance you will loose some of the quick responsiveness of a short board with the BBP on it?

I love mine on my 162 Kessler. It has a 10m radius, I haven't noticed any loss of pop. If anything it made the board 100% better because I can push it more without worry about blowing out of a turn.

People need to stop complaining about the weight, it's only 5 pounds. Go to the gym!

The only thing about the 5mm BBP for me is that it is carve-only. I don't like it for skidding or slashing turns, so I don't use it for all-mtn riding. My Stubby is my all-mtn board so my BBP is probably just going to live on my NSR 185.

I'm hoping by the end of this season if you keep riding your stubby with BBP plate in spring conditions you will like it as much as you do on longer boards. (Maybe your knees aren't old enough yet to fully appreciate the tiger blood it pumps into your legs):)

BBP = more pop out of any board I've had the plate on.

Agreed, because it frees the board up to flex naturally, so it allows the board to pop more. Very nice side effect I hadn't anticipated, but it makes perfect sense that it would do this.

I ride shorter boards for their lightness, nimbleness, agillity, playfullness... Plate is counter-productive in all of these departments.

It would be great for chop/slush busting (while caving), but then, I'd want longer board, anyhow.

It rules on the long boards, carving application, all surfaces.

For true all-mountain riding, I'd never consider a plate. At least not one from the current crop.

Ignore all of the above, if your intention is racing. Then absolutelly, go for it.