Note to New Members ×

What have I been missing?!?

Randy Kight

Morning guys, its been a long while...hope everyone's doing well. Last time I was on these boards was before my first son was born...8-10 years ago. Haven't been on the snow very much at all during that time.

I'm fired up again. Took my 3 sons up for a short week to one of my local resorts and got them on the snow for the first time...a point in my life I was really excited about. They loved it. And I made some turns for the first time in a long while, and it gave me goose bumps!

So...

I'm interested in what's been going on in the board design arena over the last 10 years. And I'd like to update the board I'm on now, but would like to get the group's input on a few things if you guys have the time and patience to read through this...

- 5'9" - 5'10".

- 225lbs - Powerlifting for too long made me look like a troll...knee surgery.

- Current boards are a Volkl Spline 164, Burton M6, F2 Fire.

- Bindings are Burton Race with cant in back, flat up front.

- Owned Fin's TD1, but a little to stiff for my liking and stolen years ago.

- Raichle SB324 boots.

- I love to turn, short turns, long turns, vary my radius's during the run.

- Don't care about any parks or pipes or air.

- Want to take advantage of a nice powder day if they every come.

- Not a true speed demon...don't mind it as long as the board is stable.

- No interest in racing.

- I've grown up riding old Burton asym boards, so I've always ridden 45 front 35 back. I'm not stuck in cement on this, but its been what I've enjoyed over the years.

- Ride East Coast USA, usually narrower and hard.

The volkl spline has been great. Soft and stable enough for my weight and very "easy" for me to carve linked turns and wide enough to handle my lower angles.

So reading these threads the last few nights the Kessler caught my eye. Looks like it's a design change from days of old. I watched some of the vid reviews and it has really got my attention, as I gathered from some that although they were no racer, they loved the board. I spoke to Bola out at All Mountain and got some more information...extremely informative and nice enough to deal with all my questions. I'm hessitant, as I don't want to get into something that will kick my ass all over the hill. All I want to do is carve all day in varying conditions and take advantage of the newer designs/materials. I'm also hessitant about the WW of the Kessler Alpine. Looks over my head. So, Bola recommended a custom.

For those that have ridden the Kessler and might be a similar rider as I given my brief description above, what are your thoughts? Can I get into something like the Alpine, maybe with a custom WW to handle my lower stances, and not have my ass handed to me? I've looked at Kessler's BX online, but this looks a little wider in the WW than what I'm after...

I've rambled entirely too much. I'd really like to hear from anyone that can help direct me on this...as I'm close to dropping a wad of cash, just don't want to do it blindly.

Oh yea, what about this plate thing? :)

Kind regards and thanks for the time, patience and help.

Randy Kight

Richmond, VA USA

Randy, just remember that Kessler's are made for racers that may or may not necessarily be free carvers. They are made for the race course.

I'm not trying to start a discussion here about how racers ride vs how freecarvers ride - no flames! Just saying that in thinking about a board for freecarving, it's a consideration. Other people might tell you differently but I think it would come down to actually riding it before you buy it.

Thank you very much Michele for your thoughts. I agree, and this is why I post such a thread. I hear that the boards nowadays are much more forgiving and better all around, but there's no way I can think of to get on some of this stuff to try out...wish I could. I mean, I'm happy on my old Volkl Spline, which is no race board by anyone's stretch of imagination...but my curriousity is very much alive.

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a custom Kessler...but what I don't want to do is answer any questions incorrectly in such a way that would leave me with a board I cannot handle. As I've read in some of the reviews, maybe a softer version of the Alpine...have no idea what length...and maybe a ww I can run some lower angles on, such as 45 or so.

Again, I appreciate the input.

Technology has been jumping in leaps and bounds in the past few years of alpine. It sounds like you can easily afford a nice new toy. That certainly makes things easier, because we're talking about budget-busting items for many people! You've already chatted with Bola. Now call Sean at Donek www.donek.com, and Bruce at Coiler www.coiler.com and see what they suggest for your skill level and riding conditions. Buy the one that gives you the best warm and fuzzy feeling in your gut. Don't mention golf to Bruce unless you have some time to spare. ;) The board makers generally have different philosophies and different products as a result.

Kessler is the undisputed king in the racing market, but you don't see many of them under the feet of non-racers. That's likely due to the cost. You can almost buy a Donek AND a Coiler for the price of a Kessler. Jack M. on here did a review of modern GS decks that might be an interesting read for you.

Best of luck!

Jack M. on here did a review of modern GS decks that might be an interesting read for you.

Best of luck!

And that review would be found here http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/newhotness.cfm

I have never been on a Kessler, so have no input on that. But I own two Coilers and demoed a Donek FC metal at SES - I too encourage you to call Sean (Donek) and Bruce (Coiler) and see what they could do for you. I bet either of them would build you a very sweet ride!!!

Big Canuck hit your nail right on the head, a Coiler VSR, with a 20cm waist, custom made to your weight, a Kessler would be off the wrack and nice but hit and miss.

Bindings now have side to side movement built in (bomber sidewinder and F2 titanflex) and putting a plate on any board is a wetdream

Boots haven't changed much shell wise but liners have become fantastically great(surefoot)

Thanks again for the replies. I don't have endless funds, that's for sure. I've got some in the kiddy for such, but will I have buyer's remorse is the question.

I'll check out the doneks and coilers for sure.

NewCarver,

I'm interested in the specs of your friend's Kessler freecare if you happen to know them.

Also interested in replacing my old Burton Race plates, so much appreciate the response Ursle.

This is going to add up fast and sting a bit...

Thanks again to all.

Randy

Michele,

It was an absolute pleasure speaking to you on the phone. I learned a ton, and you guys are just as helpful and patient as you were 10 years ago. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to buying a new set of SW's from you guys as soon as you have some available.

Randy Kight

Richmond, VA

Michele,

It was an absolute pleasure speaking to you on the phone. I learned a ton, and you guys are just as helpful and patient as you were 10 years ago. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to buying a new set of SW's from you guys as soon as you have some available.

Randy Kight

Richmond, VA

:1luvu:Thanks Randy - let me know if you have more questions!

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to say thanks to all...Jack, Will G., and others. Somehow I ended up in communications with Mr. Kessler which resulted in a custom 163 with a 23 waist, slightly detuned version of his Alpine showing up on my door step. I'm just hoping I don't have my rump handed to me, but I'm looking forward to next season. Now, soon as Fin has some new Sidewinders back in stock...

That board is going to RIP!

Don't be so worried about the Kessler pedigree. l have a 171/22.5/10-14-12M VSR Kessler which goes anywhere no problem. You are going to love it!

What bindings did you decide on, Randy? Still toying with the TD3 SW's? Probably the gentlest binding for your knees, l reckon.

Hey Ian, thanks for the vote of confidence, and for all your help. Yes Sidewinders it will be as soon as they're available. Really looking forward to giving her a go. Why the he'll did I buy it in April??? Now I have to stare at it all summer. Really looking forward to dressing it up with some SW's. Probably stick with my old 324's for the moment until I can put my feet into some UPZ's, etc.

ian, those numbers sound great - a fun, versatile steed. though my kesslers are race oriented (I've got to do some calcs & figure out the specs), I'm amazed at how forgiving they are and am sold on the fat decamber on both ends. the flc had a good bit less on the nose and minimal on the tail in comparison (and lots more camber). a wider Kessler with a bit more hook to the tail like yours would be cool. how's it working now you've spent more time on it?

LOVE it!

You may have seen it before... Boris bought it from another BOLer either this season or towards the end of last season. He and Roy were riding around with the Kessler plates/risers but found it just a touch too soft for them. l fall almost smack in the middle of the weight zone without the risers(which can stiffen the flex) for the board so it was a no brainer when it came up. Actually Boris saved my holiday since the Kessler essentially replaced the FLC that l sent back. lt feels a little slow going from edge to edge compared to what l remember and what l have test-ridden this season at 22.5cm... my only mild criticism. However, the edge POWER, manoeuvrability, stability and overall rideability is just awesome. l've been in all sorts of conditions including a crack at some gate training and the board was more than up to the task.

lf l ever have a board custom built for me l will stick with the same VSR. Really, really love the hook at the end! Actually that hook is the closer. lt'll complete that "C" shape that l strive to make without locking in so hard you can't break free. l'd probably go with a 21.5cm waist but totally down with the VSR spec (^_^)