Note to New Members ×

Your Favoite....

Art

I got to thinking over Thanksgiving (dangerous) and was gonna post a thread asking what people were going to ask for for Cristmas from Santa. But then reality set in (I sobered up) and realized that with all of the things happening in the world I would inquire about something more moving like peoples taste in music. No, this is not another post asking what you listen to on the hill, I want to know what moves you musically. What is your favorite band/performer/artist/type of music and why. The questions I want answered are: Does Shred listen to "Up With People"? Does Fin like Celtic music? Just curious. Now I must put a squirming baby to bed while Y'all contemplate my query. Thanks, from Firemanart:D

Ok, Now I have a little time to answer my own questions. We have a few decent radio stations around here that play some interesting things. Shake the Shack on Friday night hits all of the high spots, Eddie Cochran, Elvis, The Beat Farmers, Shakin Pyramids, seattle band The Dusty 45's, Pallidins, Cramps, and on and on (good show to tune the boards to). We have a few "80's " stations that hav had to dig deep lately to try to out do each other with some good Alice in Chains, old U2, Police, Soundgarden (I know a few are from the 90's), Ramones,Sex Pistols, Pretenders, all good stuff to me (good for yard work). I work with a guy who plays the Mandolin and listens to bluegrass which puts me in the direction of The Dead, JGB, Old And In The Way (sit out on the back apron and shoot the breeze music). Jazz for the traffic jams, Something edgy like Audioslave, Metallica, for the morning rig chech and chores. The list gos on. It's all good. Idont listen to music when I ride, Ilike to hear what my board is doing and BS (with) people on the chair.

Really depends on the mood. Last time I went shopping I bought Alison Krauss' latest, Lyle Lovett's "Live in Texas" and kd lang's "hymns of the 49th parallel". Before that it was a best of the Who collection and a best of Janis Joplin collection. Before that it was White Stripes. Last night I went to les Miserables with my daughter. Plus almost everything Art mentioned sounds good to me. I guess "eclectic" would cover my tastes.

If you had to nail me down to just one most days I might say Elvis Costello.

Guest thomas_m

I'm kind of an audiophile geek so this is kind of tough, but

I was born in GA and grew up in Bama so Southern Rock & Blues has a special hold on me. Sunday mornings and long drives are for the Allman Bros and Skynrd along with some of the recent bands like Drive By Truckers or Mofro. A healthy dollop of blues is good for the soul too - Cephas & Wiggins, MJHurt, SRV ad infinitum.

Exercise and other active times need something with some crunch so Korn is a good go-to as well as Pennywise, Rollins Band and so on.

Then there's those introspective times when something like Mike Ness and Social Distortion goes well with a beer and nostalgia. Maybe a little Sky Cries Mary if I just want to vegetate. If I'm feeling old, I might pull out my late 80's early 90's playlist and relive the ganja-hazed glory days of irresponsible youth with some Fetchin Bones, Feelies, Reivers, Drivin & Cryin or the White Animals.

I sort of try to play classical guitar(actually move my hands around and goddawful noise comes out) so there's all those discs as well as the orchestral masterwork 'must haves' especially JSB.

And then there's Jazz...

All that being said. If I had to pick the one band who had spent the most time on my various playback devices over the last 20yrs, I'm pretty sure it would be Janes Addiction. Been listening to them since the late 80's and something of theirs is still always in the car at the least.

T.

My favorites are:

Rush (my all time favorite)

Matthew Good

Les Cowboys Fringants (Québécois band)

Pink Floyd

Yes

Emerson Lake and Palmer

The Offspring

And others I also like:

Peter Gabriel

The Who

Primus

R.E.M.

and lots of others...

And yes, I do like 70's prog rock as you can see!

My faves:<ul><li><p>Tom Waits (especially his stuff from the 80s)<br>I like the way he seems to come from no decade in particular - sometimes he seems straight out of the 1940s, and sometimes from the 1970s, and mostly from every decade simultaneously. He also mixes up a whole different bunch of musical styles, and welds them together with an avant-garde, punk rock sensibility. He could be a character in Jack Kerouac novel, or Jack Kerouac could be a character in one of his songs. His influences are worn on his sleeve, yet he's probably the most original guy in the music industry, and that's an endlessly fascinating combination.<li><p>Nick Cave (especially his stuff from the 80s, including the Birthday Party)<br>High-art pretension meets punk rock degradation, with a dash of schlock showbiz style courtesy of late period Elvis and the stages of Las Vegas.<li><p>The Stooges<br>The original (and best) punk rock band. Performances brought to the point where it all falls apart, both musically and personally. Self-destruction as style.</ul><p>And in the last few weeks I've been listening to the Detroit Cobras. They rock!

Guest Ghostrider

my taste could be best described as

"Indie Emo Corporate Pop Punk"

Bands such as Fall Out Boy, Simple Plan, Goldfinger, Hot Hot Heat, Death Cab For Cutie, Good Charlotte, Unicorns, My Chemical Romance

...you get the idea...modern derivatives of New Wave and Punk mixed into one happy pot of those who have "sold out" (or are attempting to).

Although sometimes you gotta take it back to the roots and get stuff like NOFX, Social Distortion (a must for riding), Sex Pistols...all that good stuff. But I never was a fan of the ramones. I dont listen to them, but the fact that they have made the music is worthy of my respect.

Then when you really gotta take it back, I have always found The Everly Brothers excellent. The vocals and harmonies those guys cranked out I think were a large influence on todays pop rock/punk scene. Songs like Cathy's Clown really make me think they were definately ahead of the times. The other thing is that they sang it like that live with no dubing. Kinda makes you think when today artists can magically sing their own harmonies... Ashlee Simpson is great at it. ;)

But when its time to take it way way back, Wagner composed some amazing pieces of art. Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral is one of my personal favorites of his. Although Dvorak and Vivaldi always provide something you could just put on and let play all day.

I love all music though and I took a 3 credit course here at Western Michigan University on the history of rock n roll, so I like to think I'm well versed on where my musical tastes come from.

I could ramble on for pages, so I'll just boil it down to this:

Favorite band of all time: Phish (for the music, not the scene)

And I've just rediscovered a fun 80's band that I'm really digging: The Outfield. Check out their debut album "Play Deep". Hooky, pop-rockin' toe-tappers galore. It's on Itunes.

Larry Fellows, how would you describe your role in Stillwater? What is the chemical you add to the chemistry?

-- I'm the bass player.

Right, and when you take that away, what would be missing, stylistically? What chemical?

-- A bass?

oh I love this quote it's from the director's cut of Almost Famous available on DVD and perfectly funny in the movie and to me it is also a metaphor for real life like the enjoying things for what they are approach anyway great movie with great music ...

and how could I forget Ruff Dave http://www.ruffdave.com

I will listen to almost anything. Recently it's been a lot of Techno/Trance (DJ Sammy, Darude, Paul Oakenfold). Classic Rock also seems to be mainstay that I keep goin back to. Some favorites are AC/DC, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Boston, Tom Petty, Queen, Styx, and many more.

Just started thinking about some Lenny Kravitz. The Clash, Lee Rocker (solo). I guess another reason I started this thread is hard to explain. I started to pay more atention to the actual music itself. Bass lines, Vocals, all of the actual elements to the songs themselves. Makes me want to learn how to play an instrument and read music. One of many things on a long list of things to do. Any body remember Jean Micheal Jarre'?

Originally posted by Derf

My favorites are:

Rush (my all time favorite)

Matthew Good

Les Cowboys Fringants (Québécois band)

Pink Floyd

Yes

Emerson Lake and Palmer

The Offspring

And others I also like:

Peter Gabriel

The Who

Primus

R.E.M.

and lots of others...

And yes, I do like 70's prog rock as you can see!

I'm quoting Derf because, well, 70's prog is my fav too. Add some King Crimson in the mix, and put Yes on top of the list . . .

Originally posted by stoked

Rage Against The Machine and all kinds of other music ...

I think the only kinds of music I hate are techno and commercialized Austrian folk music ...

living in austria I can see how youd hate "techno" as a lot of the german / euro stuff is just annoying

me personally I go from anarchist punk rock (subhumans are a huge fave as well as Dead Kennedys) to BLACK SABBATH (the first five albums are genius imo) to floyd all the way to a lot of electronic music (I also produce electronic music so the connection is obvious)

grew up on punk and metal tho, and played bass in a speedmetal band for about 7 years. had some record deal offers too but I saw the light and backed off

Guest Mark Jeangerard

I just bought Absent Lovers a few minutes ago. King Crimson, live in Montreal, 83-84, Belew, Fripp, Levine, and Broooph. Nice collection of songs. Saw Neil and Jack an Me a few months ago, need to get me a copy o' that.

Yes, Yes is my all time favorite. You get all the Whizz-Bangery of incredible technicians doling out never-before contrived esoterica, but you also get well written, heartfelt, meaningful songs that are desicive in their intention and full of glorious melody. I can't imagine anything more musical.

Rush

Kansas

Robert Plant

Camel

Jeff Berlin

Jaco

Genisis (early)

Satchel Mouth

Gentle Giant

Phoebe Snow

Queen

Mozart

Led Zeppelin

Bella Fleck

Primus

Journey (early)

Dixie Dregs

Cirque du Soleil

Heart (early)

Marillion (early)

Pink Floyd (early)

Vivaldi

Ambrosia (early)

Cheap Trick

Jethro Tull

Pantera

Puya

Tenacious D

Pat Travers

Ren and Stimpy

...and some of the stuff Ben and I write.

Did I mention Yes? (Not that Rabin crap.)