Note to New Members ×

New Carving Glove

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

We've talked to death the subject of a good glove for carving. Reliable Racing has a glove in their new catalog that is made for carving. It has extra padding on the heel of your hand:

25524palm.jpg

It doesn't look like a super-insulated glove like folks in NE would like, but it certainly looks good for out here in CA. Anyone on the board live close enough to RRS to go check them out first-hand? Then again, I suppose I could order a pair for myself and post a review. :rolleyes:

Here's the Link directly to the gloves.

I have found that leather works the best

I second that. I just received my Reusch gloves, which I bought from Dave (hardbooter.com). They look super cool and all leather, plus padding and protections all over the place.

I am sure these are going to work for a very very long time.

p.s. (already have holes in two pair of (much cheaper) gloves since early october)

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by chooblaykhan

I have found that leather works the best

I second that. I just received my Reusch gloves, which I bought from Dave (hardbooter.com).

I agree. I've been wearing Reusch all-leather gloves (the Nor Am model most recently) almost exclusively since 1980. They last a long time, and you can turn them into good shoveling gloves with just a little duct tape when they finally wear through. I've even taken them to a cobbler to forestall their death.

I don't drag my hands on the snow so my gloves tend to last. I just thought I'd post this since the subject comes up every year.

The RRS gloves actually look like they'd make good spring gloves.

Nikwax makes a pretty good waterproofing wax for gloves. It works best if you warm the gloves up then rub it in and leave it overnight. I put it on if I know its going to be wet the next day. It is only necessary in really wet conditions.

Just to put another view, I hate leather gloves. It's ok if you have a bucket of scotch-guard or whatever and you don't mind playing in it every day, but for most use it's just not the right material. Goretex with taped seams is the only way to go.

Anyway, gloves aren't hugely useful IMHO. Too many seams, too expensive, and too cold. And you can dump mitts much faster (which is essential for photography).

Ok, I admit I don't actually thing it's particularly good style to actually touch frozen corduroy at mach 2. The trick is to know you could do it trivially, but you don't actually have to "put yer knee down".

I use Burton mitts (dont know the name, Snap is written on thumb?) and they have no wear sign after last season (some 25 days of hand-dragging). Some positive things about:

They don't have seams which would wear out quickly.

They are warm

They have inner glove, which can be used for taking photos or anything. And be washed easily if turning smelly.

They are safer (if you drag your hand into heap of snow, then its less likely that you twist some finger)

On negative side is smaller finger mobility, but is that needed? At least I don't miss it.

Guest AlpentalRider

I bought the North Face Claw gloves a while back. These gloves are the ultimate and I have had zero problems with them. They are a glove/mitt hybrid where you have a thumb, pointer finger, and then a mitt for the other 3 fingers. It keeps my fingers warm and dry in all conditions and has lasted me for over 5 years without any tears or rips.

Normally I go through $80 gloves in 1 to 2 seasons, so the $140 i spent on these north face gloves were well worth it to me. The only bad part about them is that North Face no longer makes them. I shoulda bought an extra pair in case anything happens to these.

You can put a wet hand in it and it is dry in 5 minutes. The leather lasts and lasts....and when it starts to go you'll find shoe goo bonds well to leather- very well- ............sure it will look like you blew piles of snot on your gloves, but- I have had a pair now for 4 seasons...and most others won't last 1/2 a season. warm and dry- and if you can believe it..I think warmer than mittens because your fingers sweat together in mittens and the wicking of the gloves keeps each finger dry.

I might consider making a new glove (In the 1990's I spec'd one with Kevlar, waterproof breatheable liner, gel palm, wrist support, removeable fleece liner- cordura outer..etc..).

Recently I started conversationsagain with Marmot about designing a new line for them..In the 1990's I did all the technical specifications on the Marmot "Tough collection" as well as my favorite jacket I still ride today...The Marmot Climbing Jacket 3- which went on to become their best selling alpinist jacket ever.

I hope they go for the ideas this time around.

________

Yamaha dsp-1

• 2 months later...

The Guinea Pig . . .at 39.00 its worth the risk. I like riding a small light glove. The cuffs do look short, but based on the long underware I ride in (with the thumb holes) I dont mind the shorter cuffs and less bulk around the wrist.

Hopefully I can get them this weekend and try them out to let you all know.

I think the folks at reliable racing went out on a limb thinking the likes of us would like them . .. none of us bit, so they didnt catch on. Ill order a pair and give a quick review of them. Tim Mullen and the guys at reliable have always supported the Alpine Carving scene at all the Sessions and what not. time we throw some support back their way (especially when stuff is on sale) :D

~tb

Hey, not only padded, but padded with the carbon-fiber bling-bling.

All the import-scene kids will be all over you. Or something.

At $39 I'm not sure I can say no, and I'm a Mitts-guy with new gloves as of this season.

never thought about it until I read this post, but I bought some Marmot's at Bachelor 2 seasons ago and haven't worried about my gloves since. Funny how you take things for granted. Gotta confess something stupid though, I was up a couple weeks ago and saw this guy standing in the lift line with a really cool looking jacket on. The thing that originally caught my eye was the padded elbow/forearm area (not to mention the black & red design) Upon closer inspection I figured out he was wearing a Joe Rocket motorcycle roadracing jacket! Call me weird, but the padding and extra protection this jacket provided had me considering the possibility of using one. I always tell everyone that asks about my boards that they're like roadrace bikes for the snow, maybe that's a good enough line to justify the jacket :D Maybe I just need to get a bike again......:eek:

Paul

LOL---I get the impression people don't care much for their hands. <grin> I'm on the mitten side, and I think scientists can verify that the cold's attitude is "divide and conquer." I love my REI Switchback mittens. They're waterproof/breathable, removable liners, wrist leashes, and super-warm.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything that high-altitude climbers wear (I'm talking Himalayas here). I think their handwear gets more abuse than during carving...

Scott

PS - I'd never had anything with wrist leashes, but they're great. Makes it so much easier to momentarily yank off the mitts to mess with something without losing them.

Originally posted by SWriverstone

LOL---I get the impression people don't care much for their hands. <grin> I'm on the mitten side, and I think scientists can verify that the cold's attitude is "divide and conquer." I love my REI Switchback mittens. They're waterproof/breathable, removable liners, wrist leashes, and super-warm.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything that high-altitude climbers wear (I'm talking Himalayas here). I think their handwear gets more abuse than during carving...

Scott

PS - I'd never had anything with wrist leashes, but they're great. Makes it so much easier to momentarily yank off the mitts to mess with something without losing them.

I've had those same mittens for 3 years now they are my carving mitt in addition to being my motorcycle gloves for 3-4 months of the year...they are awesome and the wrist leashes...let me just say that I will never own a pair of mitts without them again (though I did drag my left mitt in curry at the lodge on Sunday).