Note to New Members ×

Twisted snowboard??

Ian M

Has anyone ever seen a board whose tip and tail were not parallel? I was tuning up my boards this morning, and noticed that one of them looked twisted. This can't be good for the ride of the board. It's an Option Supercharger circa 2005.

Here's a view down the base:

IMG_1649.jpg

Here's what I see the difference in angle being:

IMG_1649_edited.jpg

And here's how it was supported when the above picture was taken:

IMG_1651.jpg

Any thoughts or experiences on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ian M

I had a board in the early 1990s which did that. I assumed it was the torsion in the core wrapping which for some reason wasn't acting symmetrically. I never noticed it whilst riding, just on the bench. I broke the nose off it (hit a buried log off piste) so that was that. Never seen it again.

Obviously I'd rather my boards didn't twist like that.

My primary board, a Prior 4WD, is like that. Rides just fine, after all only one edge is touching the snow at any given time. The theory that it got that way from doing nose butters into fakie. Someone noticed that at SES last year or the year before and we had a laugh about it...

Interesting to know what the core construction is. Coilers cores are hand cut and shaped before pressing so the boards finished shape is the core natural resting shape not pre stressed. The board doesn't have internal stress till you start carving. The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. p.s. If your selling i'll give you $25 since the board clearly has a flaw.:lol: Just kidding, ride it. :biggthump

It sucks on the pics, but I say ride it and see for yourself. You never know, you might like it!?! The twist is to the nose toe side, so it would initiate better!

Funny, I've always had more difficulty carving heel-side on this board. I'll be using this mostly for low-speed beginner teaching, so it's not a huge deal. I'd like to replace it soon with a slightly wider board anyways.

I think Ian may have been drinking and/or using a fish-eye lens when taking that pic. J/K

Derek, Ian and I were actually discussing this not long ago. I can't commit until I know what classes I have next semester. I was hoping for early season but we'll see how it plays out. Do you have a preferance?

I've put in some time on a Generics, board that had some twist to it, it was only notable on the hardest of snow and even then it was still not bad enough that the board was was not worth riding. I'd rather deal with twist like that than dull edges.

Go bury outside for a few hours and then pull it out. My Factory Prime is twisted almost as badly as that when it's in my garage, and looks ruined when I've just waxed it, but is perfectly true when its cold. Maybe part of the core is more dense than the rest. I guess Donek's symmetriflex cores would be immune to this happening.