Note to New Members ×

Regular or Goofy?

fin

Regular or Goofy footed?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Regular or Goofy footed?

• Regular (left in front)
    • Goofy (right in front)

A couple years ago it was really windy at where I ride so only one lift was open and it was the beginner area so being a employee I get free lessons so I got me free rental and set it up goofy and took a lesson and tried to play it off like I could not ride damn I could ride somewhat but things like skating and getting off the lift goofy that sucked so on our second run (on the lift!) I went to my regular stance and put in some mini treches the the guy teaching was like WHAT THE HELL and shortly after I told him what the deal was

I do have to say that was funnest days I had riding that season but very humbleing

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually ride regular but half way into last season I started to ride switch a lot. I thought it would be funny to switch my bindings around to goofy for a few days. I am not that good at it yet, but my friends that could not ride well were able to keep up with me.

Guest Pre School Rider

I chanced upon teaching one fellow a few years back who Surfed in the 40's and 50's.He said that all the Locals in Cali then pretty much rode left-foot forward.A few(like him)rode "the other way,right-foot forward.The popular Comicbook Movies of the day were Disney stuff.Those showed the dog,Goofy,surfing with his left paw forward.Hence,the majority of Surfers started calling the right-footers "GOOFY",and the name stuck. I can't say if that origins of it or not,but I haven't found any mention of "Regular" or "Goofy" prior to the 50's.

• 1 month later...

I just used the "sliding in socks" test on my daughter, but it was completely inconclusive. She basically alternated between regular and goofy, and seemed equally adept at both.

She had a great time sliding down the hallway though. I finally broke down and told her the point of the test, and she slid a few more times either way, and declared that she didn't care which foot went in front.

Maybe I'll toss a coin.

Guest Speedy

Baka Dasai, I coast my bike with the pedals level with each other, yet with the left pedal forward. however, I ride goofy, since that's the way I've ridden skateboards all my life, and it only seemed natural to continue that.

Anyone know the origin of "Goofy"? Who coined that word for the right foot stance? Why not, "Right footed" or "Left footed" as compared to "Right handed" and "Left handed"?

Ben

Goofy is an old surfing term thought to come from the Disney character Goofy in "Hawaiian Holiday". I grew up surfing and was always 'goofy', but I don't remember ever questioning the term at the time - but then, a mind is a terrible thing to lose if you ever had one...

Regular!

I came from a surfing background - did surfing as a sport at High School and lived near the beach - so I tend more to long sweeping turns than skateboard style/halfpipe.

My wife had never ridden any sort of board (surf/snow or skate) and spent a miserable first day trying to ride regular because "that is what the instructor said to do". With a bit of screwdriver work she enjoyed day two goofy and has not looked back since.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

|R |E |S |U |R |R |E |C |T |I |O |N

because the forums are in season and everyone else is doin' it. i'm just tryna be cool.

time for us new-schoolers to poll in. i hope we get some new votes and wonder if the results will skew further. not really expecting anything big, but a little bit of fun here for everyone. feed me.

righthanded, goofy. skateboard regular though.

pre-resurrection:

R: 65 (57.52%)

G: 48 (42.48%)

Surf,skate,snowboard all goofy and I've seen an increasing number of goofy footers in lessons.

plus everyone i've surfed and ridden with are regular so when they get jealous looking at a nice left and know they can't ride it as nice as a right I just go out catch a good one and make them feel even worse. of course when we find a nice peeling right they do the same to me.

always wondered why the correct foot forward was called goofy

I tried left forward once 25yrs ago on a borrowed board, it was the most awkward struggle down the hill I've ever had. Ended up trying to ride fakie which is tough on old skool "stand on the tail" boards.

Now that I'm proficient switch, I've been considering going wrong foot forward so the board isn't hanging from my MCLless knee on the lift rides.

As I age the soreness from wrapping my front knee around a tree 20yrs ago

is getting worse, so I may convert and join the masses.

How on earth does a duckfooter know which way to go:confused:

right handed and ride regular

slightly irregular (damned IBS)

And now, filling in for Bobdea until he sees that Dave ESPI has posted here...

Dave you ignorant slut. It is stupid to ask for other options in this poll, and so I'm not surprised it is you asking. Also, you are not 'regular' at anything so stop trying to pass yourself off as such. blah blah blah... yada yada yada.

:eplus2: