Note to New Members ×

Advice for buddy switching from skiing to softbooting?

Dan

Hi all, I have a friend who's switching to snowboarding from skiing, and I'm trying to help him with gear selection. I don't really track softie gear much, so don't have a good handle on where to steer him -- thought I could tap the collective BOL hive mind.

I've never seen him ski, but he did grow up skiing (in CO), so I imagine he's at least fairly solid. Starting him out on hardboots just doesn't seem realistic, so I'll be looking for softboot gear, and thinking of a freeride setup rather than park/pipe. He's willing to spend more to get gear that he can hold onto for awhile, rather than getting low-end stuff that he'll have to replace in a season or two.

He's pretty much an absolute beginner on the board -- I think he got about 3 days on rental equipment last season, and that's it. He weighs about 140, and is about 5' 10".

So...what should I be looking at for boots, bindings and board?

-Boots - Are Malamutes/drivers still the standard?

-Bindings - I found some Flow M11s from last season at a pretty good price -- any thoughts on those bindings, or any other suggestions?

-Board - this is the part where I have the most questions. Given that he's on the lighter side, should I be looking at more of an all-mountain deck (i.e., something softer, easier to flex) rather than a stiffer dedicated freeride board? Is the 158-162 range the right length? Should I put him on a rocker board -- would that be easier to learn on? Any suggestions here? Probably looking for new boots/bindings, but he might be open to a used board.

Hah, good question. To tell the truth, I'm too lazy to take him through the learning curve. This is someone who is not aware that hardbooting exists.

But...I'll send him some links to videos and see what he thinks. That would be a lot easier from a gear acquisition standpoint because I could loan him everything except boots. (which would cost the same as a full softy setup ;) )

Hah, good question. To tell the truth, I'm too lazy to take him through the learning curve. This is someone who is not aware that hardbooting exists.
for any competent skiier who has never snowboarded, i would almost certainly send them hardbooting now. only reason not to would be if they want to fanny around hitting features and being a snowplough.

I could loan him everything except boots. (which would cost the same as a full softy setup ;) )

His ski boots. Let him use them in walk mode, if there is one. Or, if he's an accomplished skier, he might have freeride or AT boots besides his on-piste boots?

If you only saw what's in popular media, our kind of riding isn't what most people would consider snowboarding. Definitely show him some videos to see if he wants to carve or if he wants to do tricks. Both are more fun on the proper equipment. ;)

I had a friend do the same transition; he had zero interest in hardboots because he wanted to do what he saw in ads and ski/snowboard movies.

Starting out in hard boots, I would think that much would depend on whether he carves on skis, or not. Also how many days a season he expects to be on the snow?

If he doesn't understand carving, and isn't going to invest a lot of time on the learning curve, he may well be better off with soft boots. He would be able to get around the mountain sooner, and would be set up for powder days.

I agree with blue b on this one; if he's got any carving skill on skis right to hardboots could be just as easy or even easier than soft. He's already comfortable in hardshells, and used to the forward facing stance. If he's got AT's great, or consider buying AT's and if he doesn't take to hardbooting he can use them for skiing, Match those with a flexy binder or sidwinders on a donek blade or wide axxess and he could try it with soft if he doesn't like hard.

I've put friends that used to ski and now ride softies on alpine gear and had them carving in 1 or 2 runs.

Or...to be completely different...he can learn to just tool around in hardboots with shallower angles. Think a freeride board with angles around 15-25 degrees. I would definitely not recommend an all mountain board with hardboots. He can gradually work up to carving once he's mastered the basics. I never was a dedicated carver just because I liked the option of riding switch. I had a free ride board, rode in a duck stance with shallow angles.

He will have a relatively easy time learning to ride from skiing...

BTW, I think people have posted pics of HBs in the pipe here...

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here's a report on my alpine evangelism attempt. I sent an e-mail with some info on alpine, including links to the wikipedia page and some videos. He just wrote back today, saying that it looked awesome but he wanted to get up to speed on softie stuff first, and he already bought some soft boots. So...looks like I failed, at least for the time being. Will have to ride with him this season to get the hook set.

Given that he's looking for soft gear, what kind of board should I be steering him towards? I'm thinking something along the lines of an Arbor Abacus or Element CX. Possibly even the rockered version of the Element - the RX. (Is rocker good for learning on?) He probably goes around 145 pounds, and is a beginner, so nothing too stiff.

Any other suggestions? Or, does anyone have a NOS freeride board they're looking to get rid of?

if you visit any board shop in US, what do you see? XL pant, wide stance and wide soft board in abundance on display...you cannot fault the skier for ignorance. Let him do as he will please, and let him eat his cake. Resistance to target demographic/marketing-insanity is futile

Go and ski for yourself: you can always do as you like...you are not a twoheaded hydra!

I love arbors,

I think a rockered element would be easy for a novice convert to learn on, but the cambered version will be better for learning to carve.

I do have a new condition (ridden 5 times) Arbor mystic 150. Great board for a smaller guy to learn on without growing out of it to quickly. regular camber with a long effective edge for it's size Gorgeous board, black with red sunset and ravens. too small for me or I'd keep it

Mrs. boardski prefers her option, so it's for sale, $250 9.5+ out of 10 condition.

LMK if you want pics

Troy