Note to New Members ×

plates on a swallowtail

sammyjay06

SJ,

I have been riding my 2007 176 Powstick with plates from day one. I have some older Raichle step ins on it and don't angle them too agressively, it's a blast. One note though is that I use the BTS system which offers additional benefit in Pow. One is the range of flex, and two is there ability to fine the "home" position while you're floating in the deep cold surf, I always know where the board is even though I may not feel it. The Powstick is no slouch on the groomers either, you can carve it up surprisingly well...Now I'm jones'n even more......

Thanks!

Definitely doable. I rode my Powstick 181 with plates for a few years, had a great time. Very low angles, Deeluxe boots with softest BTS, snowpro flexy bindings. My old review is here...

...But then I tried softies and loved the feel! Now I don't think that I'd go back to riding plates in powder. Something that friends have been telling me for a long time :)

tom.

The picture shown in previous post is in fact the same as the 185 Undertaker.The original version was a 198cm as you said. Then Rossi shortened it and made it wider. A much better board in my opinion.Great float with less length.That is the 4th version of the 185 I have owned. Post below is the 1st version of the 185 Undertaker. A couple years back when Rossi signed up Jeremy Jones they renamed it the Big Gun but the board remained the same. At the same time they renamed The Judge(not a true swallow - more like the dynastar 4807) the Half Gun.

post-9279-141842324095_thumb.jpg

Nitro 178 pow, Voile 178 split, both with plates (Snowpro bails on Voile slider track on the Voile). Will be on plates for both the Rossi Half Gun and the Rossi 185 Undertaker this season. Plate and pow work fine, if you use a light touch when riding. Even the new Winterstick will be tougher to ride on piste compared to the Prior, probably a bit better in the deep stuff though.

...But then I tried softies and loved the feel! Now I don't think that I'd go back to riding plates in powder. Something that friends have been telling me for a long time :)

Oh, no! How could you succumb to peer pressure, Tom?

There's only one cure, go ride with Mats, asap! :D Or, come visit us in BC, we'll set you straight again ;)

A Winterstick Swallowtail works best in powder that is at least 9" deep...

In DEEP powder over 18", the Winterstick really comes into its own. I have been able to plane up in this type of powder at much slower speeds than any other snowboards.

On groomers and boilerplate, it will definitely get squirrelly, sometimes so squirrelly that you run the risk of loosening your tooth fillings.

Geo

Oh, no! How could you succumb to peer pressure, Tom?

There's only one cure, go ride with Mats, asap! :D Or, come visit us in BC, we'll set you straight again ;)

Ha ha -- no peer pressure. It was a snowcat trip near Silverton that did me in, I thought it might be a class V kind of day and switched to softies for it. The feel was so much surfier than in hardboots that I haven't looked back since.

Skategoat: good to hear about the Dupraz. I just picked one up and am excited to ride it... The Powstick carved very nicely with HBs on the groomers too.

Wow, I thought I was the only freak riding this type of set up... I use Burton race plates on my 185 undertaker and I feel comfortable and like the setup! Rode in Utah several years ago and Stowe last year as we caught the 4 day storm on our trip last year. The Undertaker is NO FUN on groomers though...

On the rare ocations of bottomless pow I would go soft. BUT most of the time a day of riding consist of anything from kneedeep to lees. Starting out the day in untracked and later in the day riding chopped stuff with maybe groomed under. And anything in between.

This is where plates shine as I can go MachII cranking big turns everywhere. Sometimes in pow and sometimes in pow with groomed under. The amount of leverege I get in HB is simply not to find in softies. A softbooter often says: I can carve in my softboots. But we all know that he doesn't mean the carving we do. It´s the same riding a big board, twintip or Swallow in pow. You can put so much more into a turn. And with a swallow you can bank the turns in manner you just don´t do on a little puny 160 something twintip.

Just cooking with plates another dish. Hotter and more tasty!