Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2010-11

BlueB

Start early at 9AM & called off at 2.30PM.

Awesome `Hero` condition and it stayed same condition till late noon. Ben & Dan (softbooter) - potential to convert to HB :eplus2:

Blueb came later with Luka.

Board for the day:

Brought 2 boards but stick with WCRM 177 all day -Great board. TD2 set up with air suspension http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30599

RT(6)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11:00 to 2:00.

Snow was soft, moisture-laden and compacted, which made for hero-style turns on Panorama with the Prior 4WD 169. The freezing level was high. Sky was overcast, but the lighting was good which made for adequate contrast for reading the snow.

It was really easy to make turns.

Met another carver, named Kevin. He was on a mirror-finish Prior FLC 1-seventy-something with TD2's.

At the end of the sesh, I noticed a cant disc fell off my UPZ boot. Ordered another one from Dan Yoja.

Met another carver, named Kevin. He was on a mirror-finish Prior FLC 1-seventy-something with TD2's.

Kevin aka BliTzkri3g

he end of the sesh, I noticed a cant disc fell off my UPZ boot. Ordered another one from Dan Yoja.

The grey disc with of centre hole? If so, blue loctite (non permanent) all the screws, try not to drip any loctite on the plastic (I've heard is a nono).

The plan Blueb & me will be on the slope this Tuesday.

RT

Morning forecast is for 7C in the city, which is marginal for rain/snow at the lodge elevation. If the Sky Cahair is running, we can easilly stay above the drizzle and enjoy the monster powder (or chowder). My estimate is at least 10cm overnight and 50cm during the day.

CARVING DAY !!!

Date of Update: December 10, 2010 at 6:00am

Weather Conditions: Low Overcast

Temperature: -1 C

Visibility: Unlimited

Winds: Light Snow Conditions

New Snow (Over Night): trace

New Snow (Last 24 hrs): trace

New Snow (7 days): 32 cm

Total Snow Fall (Season): 291 cm

Alpine Snow Conditions: Machine Groomed

Snow Depth (Mid Mtn.): 185 cm

Installed the new cant disk.

Also replaced the black medium-stiffness tongues with the soft red tongues. The UPZ t-nuts spun when I tried to loosen the screw. It was tough getting them out. Replaced the UPZ t-nuts with new t-nuts that have spikes to prevent spin.

Bought blue loctite from Lordco ($9). T-nuts were from Vancouver Ski Services ($3).

post-7482-141842327636_thumb.jpg

Also replaced the black medium-stiffness tongues with the soft red tongues. ($3).

Hello Mr. Beagle,

VERY curious to know how you find this set up! l have JUST ordered the same boots with the same red spare tongues. Please drop a comment or two once you've had a chance to try them (^_^)

Installed the new cant disk.

Also replaced the black medium-stiffness tongues with the soft red tongues. The UPZ t-nuts spun when I tried to loosen the screw. It was tough getting them out. Replaced the UPZ t-nuts with new t-nuts that have spikes to prevent spin.

Bought blue loctite from Lordco ($9). T-nuts were from Vancouver Ski Services ($3).

What's that black thingy beneath your tongue near the toe?

Scooby, Crucible, BlueB... No crowds, except for the tons of guys doing CASI 1. Good luck Rod!

Mostly crappy snow, the kind you get after mixed precipitation and poor grooming...

Toys of the day:

Crucible: ATV 167

Scooby: WCRM 177, WCRM 173w

BlueB: Scooby's Kessler 185/TD3, my Kessler (RIP) 185/plate, Proto 167

Yes, that's a "Rest In Piece" by my Kessler :( ... I went over the handle bars, full cartweel over the nose. Noticed poor handling on the next run and left the board. Later I established delam and crack in titanal just ahead of the plate...

Proto was a great play board, as usual. Had it down the super steeps of Raven 3, ungroomed, chaotic snow. To finish the day, got 3 runs through the park. Scooby says I land those table jumps as stiff as a plank. But hey, I land them!

Short ski gig with Luka, tomorrow.

Date of Update: December 14, 2010 at 2:00pm

Weather Conditions - Observed at Base

Weather Conditions: Heavily Snowing!

Base Temperature: -3 C

Visibility: Variable

Winds: Calm Snow Conditions (Mid Mtn.)

New Snow - Mid Mtn. (Over Night): 10 cm

New Snow - Mid Mtn. (24 hrs): 10 cm

New Snow - Mid Mtn. (7 days): 52 cm

Total Snow Fall (Season): 311 cm

Alpine Snow Conditions: Machine Groomed

Snow Depth - Mid Mtn.: 176 cm

Let's wait Blueb report.

Wow!

What started as a carving day, turned into a pow day! Morning saw us on the 2-3" of soft cover over nasty frozen uneven stuff under,just to turn into a blizzard, dumping over 4" in 2 hrs!

Crew: Rod, Couz, Blueb, Crucible with few work mates on softies.

Toys: 4WD, Banana, Coiler RCM Classic, Proto, Coiler AM, misc. softies...

Roy's Classic 179 is quite a board! Grippy and poppy (surprise, surprise), fast. Nose is substantially stiffer then on similar Priors, Kesslers or Vampire, so it bounces a bit when it hits crappy icy stuff under the soft layer. I can totally see it as a great chop-buster, though. I enjoyed it the best on medium pitches, playing with the rebound and opening up. Also it can turn way tighter then 13 (or is it 14?) radius would suggest. Radial cut was fun to ride, after riding the new school SCs for a while. That extra grip on the tail is just so inspiring... Indespite the stiffness the board can carve at lower speeds too. It has just right amount of nose decamber (for my taste). I do not think it would make too good EC board, but didn't push it much to that direction. Great candidate for a plate (didn't try yet). I'll copy this into the reviews thread, too...

Later I switched to Proto, to surf the increasing qty of snow and... to hit the park a bit. Tony took few shots of Rod and me hitting the jumps, we'll post later. I'm getting the flow right therough the park - quite happy. Still no guts to jump switch...

___

As for tomorrow's conditions, The Weather Network is calling for a stop in precipitation tonight, starting easy in the morning and speeding up tomorow evening. Therefor, I thin Thursday mnight be better pow day. However, all the pow hounds should check the Cypress site for themselves, tomorrow morning.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ick1yOj5pPQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ick1yOj5pPQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9izsH9bDPaw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9izsH9bDPaw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>

Rock Star parking 8:45. Chair 9:00.

Dynastar 3800 163 pow deck. 6 inches fresh over crud off Raven Chair. Not deep enough. Plus foggy. Crap.

Good thing I brought the Prior 4WD 169. Probably the second time in my life I've brought more than one board to the hill. Unfortunately, still too foggy.

After a delicious lunch of Chef-Boyardee Lasagna (cold, straight from the can), the fog cleared enough for carving groomers until my thighs gave out around 2:00. Firm hero snow.

Too bad my new cant disk fell off my boot.

21cm fresh reported on the web site was too enthusiastic, as usual... They should really stop with the 24hr accumulation nonsense and give the number for overnight only... Never the less, the snow was good. Yummy bumps on the steeps, softer on Raven runs, some ice under on Bowen, hero groomers.

I didn't bring any real carving boards, just the 3800 and Proto, so I did everything with the Proto. Million short carves per run can be a bit exhausting... Wasn't in the groove today, felt tired and slow, front boot was just killing me!? I did about 5 runs at the steeps, another 5 or so through the park and finished the day on the JJA and Panorama.

Scooby still suffers from the bad back and went to khiro instead, Rod canceled too...

I saw Couz on the Raven chair, but couldn't get in sequence. Funny enough, there were several other unknown carvers. One quy on softies and forward stance on old school alpinesque board, maybe old Air, his buddy on hardboots and old school Rossi, pretty good rider. Finaly, on my way out, I met Robert, dark UP, step in Burtons... Tribe is growing...

8:45 Rock Star parking. 9:00 Up the chair.

Two runs on Meteor off Raven chair. 12" to 18" fresh over crud. Not filled in, but better than watching Oprah.

Then several runs down Coyote 7. 12" to 18" fresh over semi-pillows. Pretty good. Around 10 untracked runs.

The secret runs had 2' to 3' of cold, dry fresh.

Finished at 1:15.

Ride of the day:

post-7482-141842328324_thumb.jpg