Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2010-11

BlueB

Looks good. I may have to kill a day at YVR in between here and there... what's the best/ simplest reasonable way to get from the airport to Cypress and back? I'm thinking taxi or bus etc?

Here's info from how to get to Cypress: http://cypressmountain.com/getting-cypress

By taxi will be the easiest but u pay the price for the convienience.

Or take Taxi or Skytrain from YVR Airport to WATERFRONT Station in Downtown and continue with Seabus to LONSDALE QUAY Station, in North Vancouver and take the Cypress Bus Shuttle

U have a date? Email me: carvingchanel at yahoo dot ca

Hope this will help

RT

NOTE: Skytrain from YVR u have to pay xtra $7 on top regular fair for TAX:angryfire

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks; those options should work fine.

BA have been sitting on my boardbag since they entertained me at the airport for two days starting December 17. They said they'd found it a couple of days ago and would deliver it today, so I have a flight out tomorrow. However it's 23:23 here and they have not yet delivered it.... their call centres are useless and unhelpful, and so I've no idea where I may be for new year or where my board/boots/gear will be at that time. BA: the world's worst airline. No one cares, no one has any authority.

I guess I'm trying to say my dates are still somewhat flexible ;-)

Thursday was another awesome day, somehow snow abit sticky or was my wax that was wrong :confused:but no effect when doing edge to edge..

Start at 9AM and called it of at 2.30PM, I saw Yoshii and his father from Lions chair, tried to chase but he dissapear in the crowd. Again for the first 11 runs no line up at eagle, the crowd start to vlog way faster thn other days and by 10.30 ish the line up is there.

Toys: SG185, Coiler-179, PRIOR WCRM-177

I'm off from slope on Friday after 3 days in a row but will be out on the 1st day of the 2011, Blueb will be teaching but hoping he'll get alot free time to play.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011 to every one - All the best for the year

RT(16)

post-6136-141842330229_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842330232_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842330234_thumb.jpg

CARVING DAY, groomed hero hard pack condition. Start 9AM-3.30PM.

Toys: Blueb-WCRM173, Pierre-Virus Scalpell 173(?), Scooby-SG185 & WCRM177

Met Pierre and Blueb had a bonus 1 hour free time in the morning. 3 musketeer was bombing JJA for 10 runs (as seen in pixs trenchin was done by 3 musketeer) before Blueb had to go teaching. Continue 2 more runs thn switch to Lions before decided to go back to Eagle, was to Icy on Rainbow & Horizon. Pierre & me were working on proper heel side EC. Not easy but will get there...

Back to Lions after noon coffee brake and continue at Mid-way.

It was a fun day and the crowd as expected was less than other days since Xmas.

RT(17)

post-6136-141842330263_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842330266_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842330269_thumb.jpg

did a night owl session tonight. decent carvable hardpack w/ a little ice. fun stuff. pretty quiet; saw one other unidentified hardbooter. my old option c165 is pretty much dead now (base delaming from edge). Paging Roy shortly... anyone else have any cheap beater boards kicking about?

Came later at around 10 ish with Blueb group, parking still on main area but at the end. Line up at ticket booth...but crowd still manageable at the chair line up. Met Geo aka crucible, Blueb has to entertain his group and Luka, good thing later on he can have a few runs on Mid-way.

Snow cindition mixed, hero groomed hard pack, some spots are softer and some icy but all main runs are carveable. Geo call it off at 2PM while I continue to 3.30PM

Toys: Blueb = Prior WCRM173, crucible = Coiler GS(?)182, Scooby = Prior WCRM177

Amaze by the flex of the Coiler, I wudn't know it's a non metal deck. Has similar character of metal deck when vibrate.

RT(18)

Huge difference to yesterday! Empty hill, high overcast skies, light snow in the afternoon.

Grooming was very smooth and super hard, but very few icy spots. One could set edge about 1/4" in. JJA had way better snow then Rainbow and Midway.

After staff training in the morning (indoors, baaah) I had time for a bit of riding. Later I met Slava, still strugling to master the Norm and Linked Norm without any skidding. Hooked up with him for an hour (off an on) to give a free private lesson.

Later I had to teach a real private, very good kid, got to linked turns with some speed at the end of the first hour!

Toy of the day WCRM 173. I got to really like this little sucker!

It turned out that another of our instructors, Quinn, is a former hardbooter (raced GS and BX)! That makes for 3 of us in the instructing ranks - it's a disease! ;) :D Now I have to get these 2 guys to bring their stuff and rip some turns...

Got there for 9:00

Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm, of course.

Two runs down Jasey-Jay & Maelle Ricker. Unbelievable. 12" to 18" fresh & dry over smooooooth groomed. You could do large arcing turns throwing as much spray as you wanted, surf style. It was big-bowl back-country style without skinning or snowmobiles. I almost felt guilty leaving the snow for Raven Chair, but it has steeper & longer runs.

Several runs down First Sun. I was the first guy down the virgin run. On the chair I could see my line all the way from the top to the bottom. Awesome. Smooth.

Did Coyote 7 a few times for good measure.

Meteor had lots of snow, but it wasn't quite filled in if you wanted to do large turns.

It was tracked out by 10:30 (you're welcome).

Finished the day with one pow run down the Midway Chair.

It was the first time I thought the Dynastar 3800 - 163 was a little small.

We've got there only at 11:30. I thought I saw a 3800 on the racks...

I was with familly visiting from Europe. All on skis except for me, on the Proto.

We did pretty much all the chairs except the Sky. Mostly chopped up but filling again. I enjoyed the First Sun the most, I like the steepness and the filled in moguls. Yum!

I had one crazy crash on Collins, while riding switch - the tail just went in and launched me...

It started raining at 3:30pm, then, apparently it turned back to snow with the dark.

If no rain tomorrow (which I doubted) it might be epic again. Friday, sounding like flood is coming, 9C, lots of rain...

Came around 9.30 with Ian aka Flywalker and his wife Kaoru. Lodge parking was available half empty. Snowed wet drops and later on turn to rain. Lions chair was the only chair was closed that morning but later mid afternoon was open.

Toys: Flywalker = Kessler 171, Kaoru = Burton E-deck (size?), Scooby = WCRM173Wide

Warm up lap did 2 runs on Easy Rider thn move to Eagle chair on Panorama for 3-4 runs and last run did Crazy Raven. Condition was mixed compact slush, chowder, slurrrrpy. Too many times close call went over the handle bar from sudden slow of the slurrrrpy sucking break.

After the break me & Ian tried 2 runs on Lions before call it off for the day.

But despite the bad condition Flywalker and wife run confident on new set-up.

Friday will be a wet day, Saturday Sunday looks promising.

post-6136-141842330759_thumb.jpg

had a fun morning on the hill; a bit of ice here and there, but generally decent carving on eagle. first day on roy's old donek gs170 - a fun stick. pretty forgiving, I think I like the slightly smaller scr. great bang for the buck; should keep me happy for a while. cool running into all you guys. i counted 6 hardbooters on eagle - we're taking over!

Great sunny day today on hard pack carving condition and sugar icing on top. More crowd thn yesterday. Start bit later today at 10 ish AM with Flywalker & wife, lucky some parking space available on the first 3 row.

Blueb cudn't join today but as

i counted 6 hardbooters on eagle - we're taking over!

Toys were BOMBING Eagle chair today:

xy9ine = DONEK GS170 - Glad you like it

bli3tzkri3g = PRIOR WCRM173 - Wow that's bling bling top sheet

Flywalker = KESSLER 171 - Board & Ian became friends now

Kaoru = PROTON SL149 - Love the narrow deck

Scooby = PRIOR WCRM177

missing one-who?

Did warm up lap at Panorama thn move to JJA till 11.30. JJA got covered by new layer of snow, (I heard) from the snow machine that they run them the night before. Move to Rainbow at Lions chair condition icier groomed run for 4 runs thn move back to JJA. Call it off at 1.45PM

Yesterday on Saturday Jan8, 2011 struggling with chatter WCRM177. Today had a blast with tweaking the binding adjustment, change to red elastomer+suspension kit and applied "Gilmore Bias" & it worked!!! Board smoothly glide on its edge with out loosin the grip. On steeper rainbow board still holding.

post-6136-141842331144_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842331147_thumb.jpg

post-6136-14184233115_thumb.jpg

Got to Cypress at 0930- atypically frigid weather, -10C, snow making was blasting full force and skies were grey with light flurries.

Stayed on Jasey Jay all morning, riding the 186 Coiler Pure Race felt like I was carving and racing back east on Mt Tremblant... The snow was icy corduroy with a centimetre or two of blasted snow frosting, you really had to have a quiet upper body and commit to your edge transitions and hopefully have sharpened edges to get the board to carve.

Met up with Robert Earnest, a fellow silver tray carver who I had the pleasure of riding with a couple of times at Grouse Mountain last season. He was on a 168 Burton Ultra Prime and was carving elegant slalom turns down Panorama when I came up on him. After a quick chat on the chairlift, he decided to go back to his car and switch out to a Sims Burner.....

I finished up my session at 1145, the legs were weak from a full weekend at Whistler over the past 2 days and the lift lines were starting to get longer than I like.

Awesome fun over the last few days!

Kaoru and l had a wonderful time at Cypress. l can just imagine the off piste riding/skiing there after a big dump.... SO many lines to choose from!

We had the chance to take out our carving boards for the first time. Mr. Scooby was an incredible host and brought us up to the mountain each day. Thank you!! Totally looking forward to riding with you again when we return (^_^)

Conditions were very soggy on the first day(Thursday). All that was missing was a cup and margarita mix. l was out for my maiden voyage on my new to me Kessler and Kaoru was on her eDeck. Lots of face plants. Very grateful to Gore-tex.

Sunday and Monday were hard packed. Kaoru brought out her weapon... a 149 Oxygen Proton. From the first run she was loving that board. By the end of the second day she was wondering if we should go back up again tomorrow. A carver is born!

l had loads of fun on my new board. Still tuning my stance up but definitely becoming friends with my new ride. Aching from head to foot from plenty of crashes and from scraping nearly a decade of rust off my muscle memory.

lt's nice to be back!

Hopefully we'll have the chance to ride with you all next time (^_^)

Didn't see the hardbooting crowd. They could've been 10 feet in front of me, and I wouldn't have noticed because of the fog.

You bet! And we looked for you, too...

Lots of people today - Scooby, Flywalker with wife Kaoru, XY9, BlueB... All on pow or quazi-pow boards and plates. Sucky conditions, heavy to very heavy. We left at about 3pm, and weather started to clear up!?

Retroactive report...

Very hard packed, frozen in some places, cord. No people on the mountain. Pretty sweet for our "business". I had lessons to teach in the morning, but was free to play with Scooby all afternoon! Toys: Blue: Vampire, Scoob: WCRM 177 and 173, SG 185.

I didn't ride that Virus for a while - got surprised again, how nice it is! Even with somewhat dull edges it gripped great to the frozen nastiness.

Scooby did few by the book heelside ECs! Now he just needs to learn to get up from it and he'll be rocking. Toeside (recovered) he knew from before.

I had a very interesting lesson... School groups were upon us, big time. 8 kids, never evers, about 12 of age, or so. 2 cry babies gave up right away, after the flatland mobillity drills. The rest was good to go onto chair within 45 minutes. Took forever to get them down the bunny hill - 2 (other) kids were just so much slower then the rest... The fastest one got hungry and shooted straigth to the bottom of the hill. He ignorred my instructions to wait for the group and walked away, towards the lodge. By the time I got group down, he was gone. We walked across and spoke to the parent chapperon, but he didn't notice the kid walking by. I was getting seriously nervous at that stage. Left the kids with chapperon and took just one with me to help with the search. Failing to find the kid in the caffeteria, I almost launched a full scale search. Then someone mentioned "look on the top level". Sure enough, little bugger was sitting comfy there with his other friends, munching and drinking hot chocolate !*&@**?