USASA Alpine @ Buck

BobD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Futahaguro: Great profile pic! See you there!

Most riders who compete at these regional events are alpine riders 16 years old and under, and

Most (usually all) of these competitors also belong to the local snowboard club "The G-Team."

Have fun - don't be embarassed. There are some wicked-fast 16 year old kids on the team. Who also train gates 4 days a week.

USASA races are divided into fairly small age brackets.

Since few adult racers show up to these events, you may be the only one in your age group = instant win.

The side-competition for 'who has the fastest run of the day' is more challenging.

Try to get out and practice some NASTAR race training, SBX or HP a few times before the competition day.

Here's some video:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6q4z6xAyjs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6q4z6xAyjs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wee! I think this may make boarding in Minnesota kind of fun again! That video was cool, nice to see the kids doing it and the regular to fakie catch was nice! I just got a Burton Alp 169 from a dude on this forum in Duluth as well as some Stratos Pro and TD-2s from another guy on this board here in the cities. I'm not a piper but I could get 1st in my Masters class most of the time according to last years results:)

I'm stoked!

**Edit** Do they usually have the courses set up before race day for people to practice on? Even SBX? Any rules that I should watch out for that are not covered in the rules book? I read the whole thing but I just want to make sure there is nothing hiding in there, like what the helmet certification needs to be for BDX or whatever. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

No. Courses are not generally "up" for the public before race day.

For the SBX races, you will get a chance to run the course immediately before the comp as part of the inspection process.

With alpine, you need to abide by the rules for side slipping/inspecting the course, as racing/carving the course before the competition starts will surely get you disqualified.

(Just follow what everyone else is doing and listen during the race meetings, and you should be fine. )

FIS and USASA both have regulations on approved helmets - For our regional races - you need to have your head protected with an appropriate snowboarding or winter sports certified helmet. A bicycle helmet or football helmet is not gonna work.

(Please refer to the rulebook under 151.02 if you have any questions)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just booked my flight to the Nationals. $205 round trip to denver and two of my old Montana roomies reside in summit county so I got lodging covered.

I wanna know if anyone can provide some challenging training opportunities. Slalom on Chicken at Welch, or the run next to chair 9(?) at afton and maybe some high speed GS at Spirit or Giants Ridge or anywhere with some Length and speed.

Its been 13 years since I competed and it woke up a sleeping demon. I dont want the open class (yet), but I wanna destroy the 30-39 & a little training could really boost my confidence out west.

God Im looking forward to this~:D

corduroy, we will set GS at Afton where ever and when ever we can get lane space. Most of the time it will probably be on 1,2, or 7. Although I would like to set on 12,16,17 as well. I am trying to get something going for Sat or Sunday morning this weekend, but am waiting for a call back. I will post on the afton thread once I know for sure.

corduroy, we will set GS at Afton where ever and when ever we can get lane space. Most of the time it will probably be on 1,2, or 7. Although I would like to set on 12,16,17 as well. I am trying to get something going for Sat or Sunday morning this weekend, but am waiting for a call back. I will post on the afton thread once I know for sure.

12 doesn't sound dangerous to you, at all?

Futahaguro - Shut your mouth! You did great! (Light was better - easier to see for the Sunday race...)

Corduroy - I don't know of much other snowboard training going on in the midwest that fits your requirements of speed and length.

Buck and Spirit have NASTAR.. it's a cheap way to get some speed, but the turn shape is more like downhill. Not bad for, what, $2 a timed run.

Glad you are jazzed for Nationals! It's a good time!

Just FYI - Last year there were 8-10 men in the Masters 30-39 division) and some of them are quite fast! You'll do fine.

"Copperopolis" is the race hill out at Copper.. It's wide enough for dual SL on skiiers right, and Dual GS on the Left.

The SL course

attachment.php?attachmentid=22177&d=1269875285

is not terribly steep, but does have a drop half way through that will build speed quick. Often the knoll gets icy/rutted and sketchy.

The GS course

attachment.php?attachmentid=24156&d=1290537155

has a dog-leg left which often incorporates a delay gate.

Here's a video for reference:

- skip ahead to 6:20 for the big final - G-Team Alum - Mimi

GS - Here's some Nor-Am

but its on the same run.