Note to New Members ×

USASA Alpine @ Buck

BobD

...and no disrespect to the other 30-39 men.

:) None inferred. I'm racing for the fun of it so if I can beat some peeps, great, but I have more fun chatting with all of the racers when we are waiting for our turn! Maybe I will see you at Buck or this Sunday at Afton for training.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's how I feel. If you could just pay per event, I'm sure there would be a lot more participation.

You do pay per event. You can be a full member for $75/year or you can pay $30 (I think) at the event if you only want to run that day. However, the $75/year isn't what gets me, it is the $25/event and you only get 2 runs per event! So for example, at Welch, if I were to buy 2 lift tickets, and race in the SL and GS on both days, it would be $39 x 2, and $25 x 4 for a total of $178 with no food and gas! Ouch! I might do a GS at Buck but mostly what I want to do is Boardercross:) It sucks that one of the races is up at Giant's Ridge though:( I like Giant's Ridge but it is 3 hours away.

**Threadjack a bit** I think they would get more participation if they would host the events at 1 place and offer discounted season passes to the 1 place. I'm sure there has been a lot of research on this by the USASA already but if they were to do that, the host "area" would get the racers buying more food and drinks because they would be there more often. I would probably be more inclined to enter more events to boot.

USASA is not about the adults, it is about the kids. I don't mind paying to the local USASA org. cause it allows the organization to function for the kids. And when you take into account the costs, $25 per event seems pretty reasonable to me.

I think what I would really like is for another organization or ski area to host a "for fun adult league" that would be more affordable. The problem there is lack of interest. I have set stubby courses on two separate nights now with only 2-3 people showing up (including myself), and that is totally free (other than the afton pass).

:( I like Giant's Ridge but it is 3 hours away.

Giants Ridge is a great venue for racing Alpine and SBX as it has more vertical, and

allows for the longest courses in our series.

It's unfortunate that it is such a drive, and has such limited (and expensive) lodging.

(Tip - If you're looking to save $ - seek hotels in town -other than the main lodge.)

I think they would get more participation if they would host the events at 1 place and offer discounted season passes to the 1 place.

This is an interesting idea, but I don't know if it's a realistic option.

What you are suggesting is that one area support all 5 disciplines of the USASA events -

(currently some travel is necessary as there are only a few Halfpipes in the state - Buck, Spirit, and Giants)

Sometimes it's a scheduling issue - don't forget that

there are a couple ski-race related events out there as well.)

Traveling to other venues also allows for a variety of terrain, and in the case of SBX,

it allows for different courses and spreads out the requirements of park crews

who would be charged with constructing two or three unique courses each year.

(The Hyland crew does a good job with the SBX course -

but there's only so many features you can fit into 172' of vertical. You'll see..)

I highly encourage you to share these ideas with both the Series Director -

E-mails can be found here

And also the G-Team director, Jessica. (Currently, the overwhelming majority of USASA competitors are also members of The G-Team.)

Yah, that all makes sense. I think the important thing is that it is designed to give the majority of racers the best experience, and I am not the demographic of the majority of the racers. It seems that I am more of a whiner :rolleyes:.

Hopefully I will quit the whining and see allz you out at Buck.

$25 per event seems pretty reasonable to me.

The USASA competitions are currently the only outlet in our area for someone interested in snowboard racing.

It's a great organization and they do put on a quality event, but I continue to hear many riders who

stay away from racing because 'it's an expensive way just to try it out.'

And I can fully understand - I still remember my first USASA race wrought with frustration.

I had the wrong board, and with my inexperience in racing on icy rutted course conditions I got

completely trounced by the experienced racers (and most of the 12 year olds.) With limited funds, I left feeling

like I had spent my money unwisely at the rate of about $2 per competition second.

Lesson learned - This is not an inexpensive sport.

I think what I would really like is for another organization or ski area to host a "for fun adult league" that would be more affordable.

Great idea partner! I've actually heard tell that there there used to be one of them, 'round these

parts... back before I moved to Minnesota in ought one. Speedzillia and Kent know more than I 'bout

our glory days in MN carving history. What do you guys reckon? Was it Thursday nights at Buck?)

{Cowboy mode off.} *ahem* Sorry for that..

I know some guys have found inexpensive race time by independently joining an existing league,

like Ski Challenge or just planning a couple NASTAR nights a week.

Scott: I'd love to help you out, and reap the benefits of more time running gates, and help grow

interest in the sport, - but I can't justify paying for an Afton pass when I'm already out 4 times a

week coaching/riding with my Hyland/Buck passes.

Maybe we should look into starting something up with Buck?

What do we need? - Permission/Space, Gates, Panels, Drill?

The problem there is lack of interest.

I disagree.. There is loads of interest in Minnesota, but with very, very few people.

And those few are already busy pursuing racing on a more advance level.

(Big congrats to Jack and his 11th place in Slalom at the Steamboat Nor-Am, and

to former G-Team riders Garrett, Meghan and Mimi for qualifying for the Telluride World Cup.

Also congrats to Mimi who landed her first Top 30th placing at the World Cup in Austria!!)

This year we are up to 25 kids training gates on hardboots with the G-Team - which

I would bet account for (almost) every Junior/Youth alpine rider under 18 in the State.

We have Alpine Gate Training Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday evenings, and Saturday

mornings at Hyland Hills (where riders have a season's pass.)

Some kids also do freestyle and SBX training on the other days. Competitions on weekends.

The rest of the time is probably filled with homework.

We do have a larger alpine carving community in the Twin Cities than most of the midwest,

and on any given Sunday morning, we may get up to 12 adult riders out for a social

ride at Buck Hill. Of those carvers, maybe 3-5 would be interested in running gates if they

were available - and of those maybe 1-2 would be willing to actually travel (& pay) for the (Training / Race)

Not all hardbooters have BOL accounts, and even less are interested in racing.

(This poll example is not in any way official..just my Spidey-sense.)

spider_man.gif

I have set stubby courses on two separate nights now with only 2-3 people showing up

(including myself), and that is totally free (other than the afton pass).

That's a GREAT turnout!

(The number of participants you saw in at the Dec race did not happen overnight..

Back in 2003 we only had 3-4 kids showing up to our weekly alpine practice.)

I think it's great that you're setting up a course and getting interest without really any

team affiliation or marketing other than one website forum, and by word of mouth...

You already have 20% of your target (available) demographics.

Remember, it does take time to attract new riders to an unfamiliar niche sport. (Even with social media..)

On a side note - I would send your Afton Race Director a care package - a 6-pack, or fruit basket, or flowers,

and thank them for allowing you FREE lane space.

It's quite a bit more expensive to rent lane space at other areas - especially out West.

....Wow.. that was a lot of words....

If you got this far, I hope you find some of this.. um... helpful?..inspirational?..moderately worth while?..

or not a complete waste of time..

Peace-out Brotha!

If you need anything, you've got my e-mail.

Hope to see you rippin it up out at Buck on the 29th.

Zoom!

Karl,

Do you have any idea out of the week of nationals which day will be the alpine events?

There are all 5 disciplines (SL, GS, SBX, HP, SS) competing each day.

So every day is alpine day!!! :)

Sorry man.. no.. I don't yet know which will be YOUR comp days.

All of the many age groups are categorized into 5 big competition groups and these groups are scheduled to rotate across each discipline venue each day.

(Some riders qualify and compete in EVERY single event.)

You may compete two days in a row, or the first, and last days of the week.

(Check out the 2010 schedule, start lists and Results on the USASA site - it will make more sense..)

These 5 competition groups (consisting of various age groups) vary a bit, and will probably be decided based on # of riders who qualify, and actually register to attend nationals from each region... It may be a while for all of that to get sorted out.

thanks Karl. Michelle and I are using nationals as an excuse to go to CO (I assume I qualify as I was the only guy in my age group). But we were hoping to be able to plan it a little better and spend some time not at Copper, and limit the time needed to take off of work.

Also, I think you guys do an amazing job with the G-Team Kids. My statement about interest was in regards to the adults. I would love to be wrong about that though.

maybe 3-5 would be interested in running gates if they

were available - and of those maybe 1-2 would be willing to actually travel (& pay) for the (Training / Race)

Not all hardbooters have BOL accounts, and even less are interested in racing.

I think your spidey sense is right.

I would buy a pass anywhere if they had a once a week adult alpine race league.

• 3 weeks later...

Event Update -

Just got word from the USASA event director that the alpine

events will be starting from the ramp on Olympic Dreams, then passing onto Warners Way. (attached image)

The direction change will be a great opportunity for incorporating a delay gate into the course.

Will be fun for the spectators - as they seldom get a chance to see both the competitor's starting gate, and finish corral.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C4fIN-Tmi2w" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4GWVApovKtE" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SljNdmC_3rk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>