Note to New Members ×

New Guy here!

tekkheadd

Hi All,

Just found this site. I'm a PSIA level 1 snowboard instructor, looking for a new morning activity on the mountain. Been snowboarding for 16+ seasons and have always wanted to ride an alpine board. so while chatting about this at work my co-worker says hey you can have my board that i never ride:

0916100746.jpg

so its a 166 rossignol race board. I have no idea wether i'll like it or even if its my size/blahblahblah.. i've briefly read through the FAQ's here and will be doing so more before asking any questions about boots and such. Anyway, seems like you have a good community here. Have a nice day.

think snow, its getting cold here in the east.

:cool:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to BOL!

I picked up an identical Rossi last season as a starter board for my girlfriend. It's a capped board much like my Burton Alp of the day but quite a bit stiffer. Should get you going but also realize when it feels like it's holding you back. As far as length / size you'll find plenty of opinions there, but I started on a 162 @ 5'11" & 175lbs., went to a 166, 175, 176 (Swallowtail), & 187 progressively. Todays quiver has a 175, 176 (ST) 176 (AMT), 186 and a 197 burner. So ride what you like and what suits the space you ride in. Just to plant a bug in your ear the newer VSR's (vairable sidecuts) offer lots of turn versitility in a longer more stable board.

Also don't hesitate to come to the SES as it will allow you plenty of riding input and mentoring as well as the chance to ride dozens of boards of various makes and models. This is something I wish I had done sooner to shorten the curve.

I would also suggest a slush fund be started ASAP.

Good Luck!

Welcome! Getting boots that really fit your feet is more work than you'd think, but it's worth every second of effort. Read this and this before buying any boots. The comfort level of your boots will literally make or break your experience. The cool thing with plastic shells is that almost any ski shop can easily 'punch' the shell to remove pressure points.

There's tons of tech here but in the end it's all about having fun. Some are tech nerds that worry about tiny details, some just make do with whatever they have. Play around and see which approach you like.

Hi Tekkheadd

Welcome to the wonderful world of hardbooting and BOL! You can get tons of information from this forum, and feel free to email me anytime with questions. There's a great bunch of guys/girls here, all super nice and willing to help you get going.

Nice board that you scored - we have one here that we just won't get rid of.

Have fun learning all about carving!

PS. Algunderfoot mentioned the SES, info is here.

Thanks for the welcome all!

I'd love to try out more than one alpine board this winter. So i'll keep an eye out for the SES's.

I just ran into another friend that says his board is in his car waiting for me to pick up. has bindings also.

Coming from a reverse cambered lib tech, it should be quite a change. I'll do some more hunting around.

cheers.

Just found this site myself and this is my first reply(post).

You have way more experience than I have but, I am ready to rip. I just scored a Burton alp 157 off of EBAY about 2 hours ago and am waiting for it

to ship come Monday. I am ecstatic to say the least. This is my first carving board, and can not wait to get on groomies. I look forward to speaking with you all and am considering SES 2011 for more fun and an adventure. If you have been boarding this long then you def. know what you are doing and you scored a sweet ride for free. b.clay

Hi All,

Just found this site. I'm a PSIA level 1 snowboard instructor, looking for a new morning activity on the mountain. Been snowboarding for 16+ seasons and have always wanted to ride an alpine board. so while chatting about this at work my co-worker says hey you can have my board that i never ride:

0916100746.jpg

so its a 166 rossignol race board. I have no idea wether i'll like it or even if its my size/blahblahblah.. i've briefly read through the FAQ's here and will be doing so more before asking any questions about boots and such. Anyway, seems like you have a good community here. Have a nice day.

think snow, its getting cold here in the east.

:cool:

Welcome Tek and B.

You just hit the mother lode. BOL changed my life.

SES is a MUST! Tons of demo gear. More hardbooters than anything else on the hill. All different levels. Racks filled with carving boards, bars filled with hardbooters. Very friendly bunch of stoked riders. You'll learn more about carving in a pub at SES than you will learn in five years at you local hill.

SEJ,

Thank you for the reply and welcome. SES definitely sounds like a blast and a good way to learn more about the sport and a way to meet some fellow carvers. I am seriously considering going this year, just need to start saving some funds. I have no idea how much on average the cost would be though. Maybe you could enlighten more on this or give me some additional contact information. I am 41/2 hours away from Snowmass, so my trip would be fairly short. Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Brandon Clay

Where do you teach? I was an instructor in PA for many years, but the west was calling! I've been in Montana for 8 1/2 years now and still teaching!

Yes located in the Taconic range foothills to the Berkshires, Catamount has a staggering 1000ft vertical of groomed, fake snow. Sometimes we get dumped on but not often. I still love it though.

Oh i guess i should say I'm an AASI member and Not psia. :D

What up b.clay!, thanks for the thread jack. :ices_ange

Oh i guess i should say I'm an AASI member and Not psia. :D

I still ski, so I can say I'm both.... but I knew what you meant, of course.... I got my Level 1 in PSIA in the early 90s and Level 2 AASI in 1995 before AASI even exsisted... I wasn't and still am not a big fan of that split, but it seems like they are coming back together somewhat now. And in the 90s when I was doing my training and exams, all the top people were in hard boots and mostly from the ski world. Now that the shaped skis came along, there is getting to be more focus on carving so it brings them back together somewhat. I've tried so hard at my mountain to do clinics for the skiers and snowboarders together, but my boss doesn't really fall for it. Oh well. I've been at this particular mountain for 4 years now and I've given up the fight. Easier just to blend it with the masses and be a deadbeat snowboarder! hahahahaha

I still ski, so I can say I'm both.... but I knew what you meant, of course.... I got my Level 1 in PSIA in the early 90s and Level 2 AASI in 1995 before AASI even exsisted... I wasn't and still am not a big fan of that split, but it seems like they are coming back together somewhat now. And in the 90s when I was doing my training and exams, all the top people were in hard boots and mostly from the ski world. Now that the shaped skis came along, there is getting to be more focus on carving so it brings them back together somewhat. I've tried so hard at my mountain to do clinics for the skiers and snowboarders together, but my boss doesn't really fall for it. Oh well. I've been at this particular mountain for 4 years now and I've given up the fight. Easier just to blend it with the masses and be a deadbeat snowboarder! hahahahaha

yeah i've been working on my skiing but i've only taught one season, got my Level I my first season and plan to do at least the riding portion of my level II this season with the teaching section soon there after or the next season. I love it. I love teaching kids and would love to add another dimension to my repertoire. hence the hard boot action.