Note to New Members ×

Alberta Carving Club - Nakiska Expression Session 2011

Riceball

Nice work on ordering up the new snow! We desperately needed it. Not so sure about the cold though ... but it will definitely keep the weekend crowds away from Nakiska on Sat.

I only hope my snowboarding is better than my sandboarding ...

If there's anyone still without a ride to the hill from Calgary, let me know. I'm happy to take my car out.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warmer is good. I can definately live with those temps, and I apparently have issues, because I so seldom get to ride with other carvers that I was hoping for some good groom. I'm actually a little disappointed as I was hoping to learn something riding with other HB'rs

And I'll be the first to say it but something is seriously wrong with me for being disapointed at the prospect of powder. :eek: If it's going to dump I just hope it dumps 30cm. 10cm even of dry powder is just going to turn into a chopped up mess really quickly. :barf:

Dave

It was a whole bunch warmer this time last year, but it snowed pretty good on the Friday, and the carving was fantastic. It had started to pile up and get bumpy by the end of the day, but didn't affect the riding at all. Nakiska is always immaculately groomed, so carving in the morning will rock.

Latest forecast has the majority of snow now falling on Sat. It will all change again tomorrow, and the weather guys here can't pick their noses this year, so I'm just taking it as it comes. I haven't ridden for a month - can't wait to get back on the snow!

I'm with you Dave! I'd want enough to float on or just enough to ensure sweet cord the next morning. I never get to ride with other carvers. 10 cm isn't too much though, and any conditions out there will so totally blow away the river valleys I normally slide down.

I've been fighting back issues since the first day on the slopes. :( Hopefully all is well for NES and SES.

Okay, I just spoke to one of the guys at work whose kid ski races. There's a big K1 race at Norquay on Sunday, which means that the three best runs on the hill are going to be closed off. Add to that, the conditions there have been very, very icy, and the weather forecast is now not calling for any significant snow in Banff this weekend. I've never been to Norquay, but he agreed that yes, it is steep, and if you lose an edge on the ice when conditions are bad, you normally end up going for a ride down the mountain. That doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

Would anyone be up for a day at Louise instead? I'm happy to take my car out there, the conditions look much improved with the 33cm they've had in the last 5 days, and the current forecast is for sunny breaks on Sunday. Not sure how that will work with people who have to catch flights home, but if we get out early we could be back early as well.

Just putting it out there. I can give my co-worker a call on Sat evening and he'll update me on how Norquay's looking, and we can talk it over Sat night ...

Either works for me.

Anybody in Calgary (NW in particular) still in need of a ride? We could also meet up somewhere around COP where most people are staying, and join up in cars if there's a desire to save some gas. I usually leave the city 7:15-7:30...

One of my (behaviourally challenged 14 year old girl) students today "you get to take a day off and go snowboarding?... I'm definitely going to university now." Snowboarding is clearly the magic bullet, not education :)

My Deeluxe 700 T replacement straps/teeth arrived today, just in time. My Coiler AMT I just bought from Alex in the sale thread shows as being in Winnipeg and arriving on the 13th. Things are coming together!

Sounds like Norquay won't work now. I can do Nakiska all 3 days too, but I know some people might get bored with that (Neil?). So, now that the Lake has improved, looks like it is back in play... Like Allison said, lets decide Saturday.

Friday, January 14, 2011 - Nakiska

9am main lodge

11:30am lunch, main lodge, upstairs lounge

Saturday, January 15, 2011 - Nakiska

9am main lodge

11:30am lunch, main lodge, upstairs lounge

6:30pm pizza/drinks at Riceball's house

78 Springbank Cres SW

Home phone: 403-217-2688

Sunday, January 16, 2011 - Lake Louise or Nakiska

TBD

Hey guys n' gals. Looks like I have to miss out on all the fun this year. Man this session crept up fast. Hope everybody has a blast.

Sorry no Asian representation this year. Oh wait. Alex will be there.

I wonder if I didn't say anything, how many of you guys would have thought Alex is me? Hehehe.

Simon

Hey guys n' gals. Looks like I have to miss out on all the fun this year. Man this session crept up fast. Hope everybody has a blast.

Sorry no Asian representation this year. Oh wait. Alex will be there.

I wonder if I didn't say anything, how many of you guys would have thought Alex is me? Hehehe.

Simon

Too bad Simon. We'll miss ya!

Awesome day today everyone. It was cold, but the powder was great and there were no crowds.

Greg, it sucks that you got ill and couldn't ride with us.

Allison, it sucks that you got frostbite on your big toe and likely can't ride the rest of the weekend. We'll see you Saturday night though.

FYI, we are all meeting at Dennys tomorrow morning for breakfast at 7am by COP. We'll figure out car/truck pool arrangements from there.

Going to bring the kids and ride with them today. So I'll see you guys as you go past. Obviously I'm using them as an excuse because my legs can't hack two days in a row right now. Actually based on my performance yesterday my legs can't actually hack two hours in a row:eek:.

See you at Steve's tonight.

Dave