Note to New Members ×

Pat Moore are you alright???

Jack M

In answer to your question that you ask on almost every single post: "Why am I here?" Because I like to carve. Need there be another reason?

I don't know. More double speak? Below is the "reason" you gave a couple of months ago. I am pretty sure I can find more from other posts.

BTW: I am here because I am going to be setting up a splitboard (maybe even Jones' new one) for use with my Scarpa hardboots...as there are some peaks that I have a date with, and I don't want to continue needing to fall back on my AT ski gear in the harder sublimated crud found on some peaks. The reason I want to go to hardboots on a splitboard is mostly that the ascent would be far easier. I can't kick steps with my softboots. Labrador/Greenland has some great coastal icefields and we have the boat to get there. But not unless I get off me adze.

Rover I like Bomber and I love carving on groomer days, particularly on hardboots. I am here to learn about and discuss carving. There are some really good people here. I have met and ridden with quite a few of them. Others I communicate with through email or have traded gear with over the last several years. One of them that I have never met in person is going to stop over for a night with us while he is on a cross country motorcycle trip.

That above paragraph describes almost everyone here. The above paragraph does not describe you. From what I can tell, you just use BOL as just another place to talk at people, not with people. I don't want to put up with it.

There are reasons that Photodad catches so much hell, just as there are reasons that you catch so much hell. Always blaming other people for it has not served you well here.

Tex nailed it when he described your posting on BOL as verbal masturbation.

buell, I am not sure if the amount of time you spend on me is amusing or entertaining or alarming or downright scary....it is odd. It is like having a lurker in the bushes.

Oh, and I just perused your set of examples. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to actually have examples that back-up your sundry claims?

For example, what did I tell Valsam that was so wrong? This presumption that you have that one can only EC in hardboots is both false and egalitarian, and yet it obviously provides the groundwork of your opinion. And the other example about Peak 7601? I said in the very first paragraph that the steepness might be derived from the photography and that something wasn't right about it. This comes from my OWN experience in the mountains. Do you even READ what others post before you comment on them? Because there are at least 3 examples above that in which you OBVIOUSLY did not.

But I think what is most important, is that you seem to have an inability to let things rest...as if that's part of your psyche. Basically what you are doing is cyber-bullying. I cannot really describe it another way.

Between you and Bobdea and Tex, you have basically whipped Photodad2000 so much that he really does not want to utter a peep. Is that good conduct? Is that decorum? I think not. What it truly is is nothing more than schoolyard bullying in an online forum.

You try to conjure this personna that you are this benovalent, well-informed presence....well, I think your true personna comes out readily in your interaction with either me or Photodad. That of a spiteful little boy.

You've shown that shallow spitefulness time and time again, in this regard.

That's the last I'll say on this subject on this thread...but I'm sure you'll go on and on...or even start a completely new thread like you did last time.

Really....it's getting old.

In answer to your question that you ask on almost every single post: "Why am I here?" Because I like to carve. Need there be another reason?

You're way off base.

Buell helped me get myself out of an argumentative hole I had dug when I was still an argumentative little sh!t. Now I'm an argumentative big sh!t, but I'm generally more tactful about it, and know when I'm wrong, and admit it.

If you truly felt you were so correct in your opinion of yourself, you would be significantly more dismissive of someone who is clearly as big a meanyhead as Buell.

Trying playing nice and being a student of hardbooting, not its uninformed prophet. Several people on BOL, including myself, need to actively try that when they go complaining about the so-called "attitudes" here.

AR, you will find many who will back up Buell. You? Not so much.

If Buell was the kid in the back of the room harassing he would be harassed by the rest of us. He isn't.

It is called self policing, PhotoDork is feeling it and you are too. What kind of "community" would we be if we didn't weed out the bad apples?

AR, you will find many who will back up Buell. You? Not so much.

If Buell was the kid in the back of the room harassing he would be harassed by the rest of us. He isn't.

It is called self policing, PhotoDork is feeling it and you are too. What kind of "community" would we be if we didn't weed out the bad apples?

Well said. Pretty much covers it.

For example, what did I tell Valsam that was so wrong? This presumption that you have that one can only EC in hardboots is both false and egalitarian, and yet it obviously provides the groundwork of your opinion.

Rover, your posts are just gold mines for my point that you have no idea what you are talking about much of the time.

The presumption that I have that one can only EC in hardboots? Huh?

Obviously provides the groundwork for my opinion? WTF?

I don't EC. Done well, it is fun to watch, but it isn't for me. Sorry, very wrong again.

Most anyone else here knows that you have no clue about carving based on your statements to Valsam in that thread. It is clear that you are unaware of this fact.

Rover, your posts are just gold mines for my point that you have no idea what you are talking about much of the time.

The presumption that I have that one can only EC in hardboots? Huh?

Obviously provides the groundwork for my opinion? WTF?

I don't EC. Done well, it is fun to watch, but it isn't for me. Sorry, very wrong again.

Most anyone else here knows that you have no clue about carving based on your statements to Valsam in that thread. It is clear that you are unaware of this fact.

Please illustrate, if you will, the connection between the sentence "Your presumption that one can only EC in hardboots" and implication that I said ANYTHING about YOU actually practicing EC. Sorry...I missed that part. At least we can partially agree upon something: I'm not a huge fan of EC, either.

By vocation, education and avocation, I am a man of science...my particular dual specialization being bacterial analysis and species population dynamics. The realm of science dictates a certain fluidity of thought and by rights, a foundation of logic. The illogic that you so helpfully illustrated above is actually endemic to MOST of your posts regarding me. I realize that gardening does not, by necessity, employ an overabundance of scientific thought (indeed, I love gardening after a day in the lab, as it frees me from a myriad of theory and attendant miasma...and begets a real peace), but crikey, please make use of SOME faculty of logic in posts about me.

Case in point: your twice noted example of my correspondance with Valsam. In my first post with Valsam I was assuming that he wasn't really hugging the damn mountain...and was doing a toe-side style , with at least SOME hip rotation and only one-hand down...more akin to that pic of Jasey-Jay going at it hard just below Valsam's post. You seem to think that you can't carve this way toe-side in good soft-boots. You CAN. Maybe not at as high of a rate of speed or with quite as much angulation...as you will have less edge-grip with softies, but the fact is you can carve a good form in partial emulation of that picture...it just tweaks your knees. I know, because I carve in similar fashion, I gravitate to that style because I raced slalom and giant slalom on skis with a very aggresive, very angular and precise stance. So I was telling Valsam BEFORE I saw that awful picture, that he didn't need to drag his hand, but keep his hand just above, like a racer.

My second post was after I saw Valsam's pic. I was trying to use tact, telling him he looked all right, because I felt he obviously enjoyed it, and looked like he was enjoying it in that picture, proud of himself, actually. Style-wise and aesthetic-wise...I was horrified by that picture, it looked ridiculous...but I certainly wasn't going to tell him that! He was basically humping the mountain. I mean little hip rotation and what the heck is he doing with BOTH arms down there???? But there is no way I would tell him that. He obviously enjoys both hands down and must be proud of it. Why ruin it?

I find it rather offensive that you think that was wholly a hardbooter question just because he was wearing hardboots. It was predominitely a CARVING question. WTF??? I've been carving WELL for years. Like I said, it just tweaks the knees more when you do it at lower angles in softies...I'll probably be feeling it in later years.

You seem to follow that same false line of reasoning throughout your posts.

As to your premise that I don't know what I am talking about? I've been on the snow in many means for well over three decades, and for whatever reason, I have the body that allows me to STILL board with exuberance and precision for 10, even 12 hours a day. You say you grew up in Louisana for 19 years? When I was 19, I had already been in and around the mountains (climbing with my dad in Switzerland and France when our family lived in Geneva) since I was six. And then working with the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game doing winter population surveys, where it was MY JOB to ascend various Brooks Range and Alaska Range passes and ledges with survey gear!! How much of that have YOU done, besides skinning up various fairly easy ascents from parking lots? I think I picked up a few tricks here and there.

Posted by Buell 03 March 2010:

"Alaskan, it sounds like you have been around snow for a while and know a good bit, but you might consider hanging out for a bit before starting to give advice to hardbooters."

Backed up by:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29852

and, case in point:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=295031#post295031

.As for me being this incredible a$$hol# that you purport, talk to OSECS at TGR...he's a conservative, I'm a liberal environmental activist...if any two people should be at odds, it should be us....but him and his wife just went sailing on my boat two weeks ago, never met him before...and we had a GREAT time. I don't think he'd concur with your slanted point of view.

How much of that have YOU done, besides skinning up various fairly easy ascents from parking lots? I think I picked up a few tricks here and there.

Looks like "Topper" comes out again. Rover, insult the technical aspects of the volcanoes in my back yard if you want, but I love them and I love climbing them. I've got 4 climbs in the next six days. I live a good life!

It doesn't change my point that you often post about things you don't know enough about. Dipsh!t.

Shasta, South Sister, then Middle, North, Jefferson, Hood. Adams there too, but cannot be seen in the photo. The photo is from Broken Top.

post-2671-141842316571_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842316574_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842316576_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. I did not even know that Kyle was taking my picture on that one. It is a traverse above a "no fall" zone, right above an 80 foot cliff. Definitely more exposure than I like.

My playground today on Diamond Peak. No action shots since I was alone. I climbed for four different lines. Two of them on the back side as the sun warmed the snow. Middle Sister, South Sister, Broken Top, and Mt Bachelor are in the background.

post-2671-1418423166_thumb.jpg

Rover, I had not read much of your post but Jim Callen's post got me interested. I love this part:

By vocation, education and avocation, I am a man of science...my particular dual specialization being bacterial analysis and species population dynamics. The realm of science dictates a certain fluidity of thought and by rights, a foundation of logic.

This part though:

I realize that gardening does not, by necessity, employ an overabundance of scientific thought (indeed, I love gardening after a day in the lab,)......

I seriously doubt we're talking about the same "gardening" here. :rolleyes:

Like our mountains, Rebecca and I love our work.

Our garden and several gardens that we've built for clients have been featured in books and nationally distributed magazines. Here's a link to a partial list.

You can see more of our garden here and our work for clients here. We design and build all of our projects.

I don't think that anyone who takes a good look at our work would be surprised that Rebecca and I have backgrounds in the life sciences (her) and engineering (me). I'm sure our "scientific thinking" isn't up to your lofty standards, but I think we do o.k. Link. Link. Link.

So, anyway, dipsh!t, before you start insulting people's work, you might click the home page link in their profile.

post-2671-141842316602_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842316605_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842316608_thumb.jpg

I LOVE the last picture! Is that individual loose rocks placed by hand to make that? Is it actually a sphere?

I really want to do that somewhere in my yard if I get some more room! I have a feeling I won't get it to look that nice though... ;)

I LOVE the last picture! Is that individual loose rocks placed by hand to make that? Is it actually a sphere?

I really want to do that somewhere in my yard if I get some more room! I have a feeling I won't get it to look that nice though... ;)

Thanks.

Yes and yes (there are always slight imperfections though).

It is an unbelievable amount of time, patience, and focus! That one is 42" in diameter and is made of cut flagstone (pie shapes). I have 50+ hours in it and well over a ton of stone.

There are tricks that will get you a long way. If you are about to build one you can PM me.