Note to New Members ×

WTB: Any Skwal!! The waterski season is too short

Sintered Man

I appreciate the quick replies fellas, but yesterday evening (Sat) I was Wasterskiing in wind whipped chop. All the jet skis didn't help the situation either. I took an over the front fall and Torqued my front ankle.

Long story short... Binding did not release, ankle tore up. I now need to spend my Skwal money on a set of releasable waterski bindings. I'll hit everyone up for a Skwal in the fall. (No Pun Intended)

THX!

I appreciate the quick replies fellas, but yesterday evening (Sat) I was Wasterskiing in wind whipped chop. All the jet skis didn't help the situation either. I took an over the front fall and Torqued my front ankle.

Long story short... Binding did not release, ankle tore up. I now need to spend my Skwal money on a set of releasable waterski bindings. I'll hit everyone up for a Skwal in the fall. (No Pun Intended)

THX!

Hey Sintered, Hit me up in the fall. I've got a 175 Volkl Monocarver, (green circa 2001), that I might part with. It has the Volkl bindings on it, and metal, at least on the topsheet. It has a 14.5 Meter radius. It is a rare board. Prolly 25 or 30 days on it. I bought/found it new 2 years ago. I'll want $500 shipped.

Don

THX!

Hey Sintered,

I've been riding a Goode 9100 with thier hardboot system for 10 years now and never looked back. They're basically a roller blabe shell with both boots fixed to a single plate. The plate then uses industrial "Velcro" to attach to the ski. The result is an infinately adjustable set up and since both feet stay together in the boots, chance of any ankle, knee, or leg injury is nill. In a hard fall the plate simply detatches from the ski.

On a side note regarding the "Suck and Spits" we've relinquished most of the lake but fiercely protect two bays where skiers and wake boarders take turns riding and intercepting wallies. In addition our lake has passed ordinances which make turns smaller than a 35' Radius illegal, and prohibit PWC's above no wake speeds from within 200' of anything, including each other. These were easily passed by our town board, since most PWC riders are not residents or even boaters in the true sence of the word, little opposition was found. In two seasons very few come here anymore and we like that! :biggthump

Algunder, I'm impressed. How did you go about presenting your requests to "the board" or whoever needed to hear your gripes? I can understand that most of the lake would be "normal activity" but I really like the idea of having a special Ski/Wake area for THE LOVE OF GOD! Unfortunately the US Army Corp of Engineers made our lake, and I don't think they care very much about anything. Nobody is even allowed lay down a ski course. I can understand that though. I live in central PA and Ski at a lake called Blue Marsh. It is located just outside of a city that is full of speds.... Some people are so amazed by what we are doing out there that they will break the 100 foot rule and nearly run over our Tow Rope, just to see what we are doing!

As far as waterski bindings go, I really want to go for the new HO EXO System, as I am riding an HO A1 already. Apparently a lot of the Pro Shops have sent the first batch of bindings back due to some stiffness problems and lace issues. So, as far as bindings go, I agree 100%. Hardshells with a release mechanism is the only way to go. But nobody has a pair! So right now, I'm just in pain..... I hate WaveRunners.......... Sorry for my bad attitude. Thanks for the post!

Well on our lake we have a Lake Management Board that is made up of elected officials. All are lake residents so they hate the summer swarms of weekender PWC's too. The state DNR also has juristiction so we can't ban PWC's but safety restrictions are another thing all together. I do own a portable course but we can't leave it in over night. When in however, we do get respect, and when we don't we pull up to folks and say "Ski Team practice today..no wake please" 98% of folks don't really want to be butt heads so it works.

We used to head to Dale Hollow, and Army Corp lake on the KY / TN border once a year. Locals there had three permanant courses. They simply picked a bay surrounded by public land (otherwise you would need reparian land owner permission) plopped in a course and protected it with No wake Bouys. The only rub is it has to be open to the public, but rules of use you can police yourselves. It works, even fisherman give us respect, and they have a better time fishing along the "structured" skiing than with the random kaos they would normally have.

Most PWC riders are morons when it comes to respect and rules (stand up guys excluded) so some obvious markers or signs with a red slash thru a PWC image (offical or not) would send them elsewhere.

In any case the more like minded skiers you can enlist the easier it is, sure we don't get as many pulls, but they're better pulls, and it becomes a social gathering. We sometimes have as many as 15 towboats taking turns, an occasional party barge frying omlets, mixing Bloody Marys, and even some regular spectators. The key is we welcome everyone, but these are the rules, don't like em, the rest of the lake is open for whatever it is you do.

Good Luck!

The only thing my local lake has to offer is the fact that there are not a whole lot of boat owners and much less Waterskiers in the immediate area. If we get to the lake at sunrise it is pure glass. It is quiet, serene, and beautiful. That makes for some pretty spirited free skiing. Then the afternoon is reserved for the PWC's to destroy the lake. Our wives show up with the kids. We set up camp and fill our gulluts till they no longer fill. If we make it to evening we can sneak in a few more glassy runs. But usually around 2PM someone wants to ride "the Point" which is our term for the location of the worst chop water on the lake. This spot is notorious for the four to five foot choppy wakes sent down the lake by boats which have long since passed. We try to hang on for as long as we can. Its an absolute riot.

So I guess its not all bad. But its not worth getting hurt.

Naah, neo-booties, the cold water is hard on the forehead, imagine ice cream headache x 2. It's kinda fun to experience the body's self preservation when it shuts down your extremities.

Semi submerged remains of ice fishing shanties now they are hard on the feet.

Enjoy your summer, the days start getting shorter in just 4 weeks, and we know that means carving will soon follow!

Super thanks to all who showed interest in this thread. I have sourced the Skwal I want. Monodude, thank you very much. Algunderfoot... hilarious! Keep having a good time everyone!!! The ankle is feeling much better and I should be back on the water much sooner than I thought. Stay safe!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CODA_EDGE.jpg

I need some proper skwall bindings, but so far I love riding this thing.

I had a Malibu sales rep out here in California ride this board.

He isn't a bad slalom skier (starts at 28 off usually). He dubbed it the CODA EDGE and thought that this is a product to market to the tournament water skiers :biggthump

Bomber makes some great Skwal bindings.

A split tail Skwal...you got me thinking.

I have a POW Skwal that has a bunch of taper, don't like the ride...

Perhaps the shape of my carving Skwal with a split tail...hmmm...

Sorry, not a fan of the finish of CODA boards.

Feels too homemade...

no worries Ace. Each CODA board is handcrafted and while they may have the feel of a one-off homemade board, the reviews indicate they ride well. I love them of course and the only way to get what I want is to make them myself. As I said, no worries. If you change your mind and want an EDGE, or another shape with your own unique graphic, I would love to put one together for a dedicated skwal rider.

I have TD3's... they should be able to work with bomber cant/lift plate, correct? Monodude has told me that he prefers the Catek's because the aren't so stiff...