Note to New Members ×

Gecko ownership?

Jack M

My son turned 8 yesterday (wtf?) and all he wanted was a pet. He's allergic to cats and mildly allergic to dogs, and we couldn't have a dog anyway with our skiing lifestyle. He had been begging for a turtle, and we had been pushing him towards fish. Went to Petco yesterday and dealt with a surprisingly knowledgeable and helpful salesperson, and she sold us on a low-maintenance breed of Gecko lizard called the Crested Gecko. It is temperate so it doesn't need a heating lamp, it doesn't need live food, can go a few days between feedings, is about 8" long fully grown, and it goes potty in the same spot every time so it's easy to clean up after it. Sounds perfect!

These things are cool, they're pretty mellow and friendly. They can jump like frogs, and live for about 10 years. We left the store without it so that my son could sleep on the decision and he woke up still really wanting it. I have to admit that I want it too!

Any cautions about Gecko or general lizard ownership?

6241442-md.jpg

Your son is 8 the lizard lives 10. Lizard dies about the time your son heads off to college, perfect. If it doesn't work out for you i could send the cat my daughter left when she went off to school in Alberta or the rabbit! Check your local animal rescue they may have one you can give a home to.

Lots of pet store reptiles are endangered or protected because the pet store industry has caused their over-collection in the wild. Dunno if that's true of your future pet, but it's definitely a consideration that I'd want to investigate buying one.

hmm, good point. not sure how I'd break that to the boy though.

You should get a Canadian Hairless Cat.

:barf:

Our local reptile shop only sells captive bred critters. They only buy from reputable people also. They are VERY picky and have a good reputation.

Ask you shop for info about them or look for a shop with a good rep.

Here is ours:http://www.twincitiesreptiles.net/

That being said. I do not own an exotic pet.

maybe go to your local pond and catch a eastern newt or two?

or buy them, not endangered and their life cycle is ****ing cool. we have a couple captive bred toads and firebelly newts for a 9 YO, turns out I like them more than he does.

prior he had two geckos, they were a pain. one beat up the other, then the tough guy got impacted and died. IMO the toads and newts are way less of a pain in the ass to care for once you get their home set up and are good about water changes.

some pros and cons

live food is superior for most reptiles and amphibians, amphibians don't need special lights like reptiles do, amphibians are cheaper to feed and care for, most newts available prefer 50 to 75 degree water which is great because reptiles want it warmer even the crested geckos.

just don't get him a pixie or pacman frog or feedings might scar the kid for life

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DugaRldhBrQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DugaRldhBrQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dude that frog video is messed up! :barf:

The risk with all reptiles/amphibians is that they can carry Salmonella. And if the animal needs water in its habitat, then that serves as a breeding ground for the bacteria. The Gecko (at least the Crested one) needs no water other than for drinking. So I'm not keen on hunting for newts/salamanders. Geckos are also not social, and prefer to live alone, so it doesn't surprise me that two in the same tank would fight.

live food is superior for most reptiles and amphibians, amphibians don't need special lights like reptiles do, amphibians are cheaper to feed and care for, most newts available prefer 50 to 75 degree water which is great because reptiles want it warmer even the crested geckos.

They told us the Crested Gecko needs no live food other than as a treat, and no warming device as long as your house is above 60. I'll get something for when we are away skiing and I turn the house down to 50.

Heh, I was hoping "Gecko" would chime in here!

Dude that frog video is messed up! :barf:

Not a good day for whitey at all... hopefully it was an alaskan mouse.

Jack, I think turtles are more fun than lizards.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7N6TjhFwg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7N6TjhFwg8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks for the insight Jim, however this woman we dealt with at Petco was a Gecko breeder herself and was quite knowledgeable. She addressed most of the points you've made and explained how this species of Gecko was different. She said 15 minutes of holding every few hours was fine. I will ask about gerbils though. But don't they bite?

Thanks for the insight Jim, however this woman we dealt with at Petco was a Gecko breeder herself and was quite knowledgeable. She addressed most of the points you've made and explained how this species of Gecko was different. She said 15 minutes of holding every few hours was fine. I will ask about gerbils though. But don't they bite?

IDK, likely story I guess. still should have a light and do you really think your son will mist them twice a day in the summer and in the winter when the air is dry much much more often?