Note to New Members ×

Pond Skimming - Board choice?

Randy T.

My local resort is going to do a pond skim event for the first time this year! I have two boards in my quiver that I think would both be good and need to decide on one of them. Lets hear your thoughts. I plan to do this in hard boots also.

1. 178 Dynastar 4807 - The boat nose would be great but the split tail might cause the back to sink.

or

2. 200 Tanker - Lots of surface area

Hurray for pond skimming! I've done it at our local hill on the 178 4807 (with hard boots), and it worked so well I felt like I was cheating. The boat nose makes it pretty much impossible to stuff the nose, which is nice if there's a drop to the surface of the water (which there was). I didn't notice the tail sinking, and I made it across the pond.

I don't know if the 4807 would be better than a 200 Tanker though. If it was rockered, I think the Tanker would slay. For a cambered Tanker, I wouldn't know which to take. You may have to sign up for two runs so you can switch boards and do a side-by-side comparison. :)

I won the event at our hill this year on my 180 Lib Tech Grocer. All that surface area made it feel like I was cheating but hey I weight a lot more than my competition.

I secretly wanted a third run to try to throw a fan and head for the side rather than trying to make it all the way across. :eplus2:

Kirkwood does do it every year and I have never made it there to participate, but I might make it there for theirs this year.

The one I'm talking about is at Mt. Rose.

You should do it! I bet the 180 Madd would work great. Or if I come to KW and decide to use my Tanker you could ride my 4807.

I posted to photo's (that got moved to main forum "representing alpine boarders everywhere".....) about last weekend's Spirit Mountain's water skipping competition...

Used a WCR M 173W and made it the furthest across (65ft) a 70 ft pond upright and mostly dry.......Stay centered over the board with only the slightest weight back position....

Good luck to all those giving it a run..:biggthump

Forget about what board is best. Your fastest board will be best IMO. Wax for the right temp to get the most speed going in.

Speed and more speed will get you across - not surface area, not taper, not hardboots or soft - speeeeeed.

If the area of your board that contacts the water stays behind your front foot, you'll be fine. Dip that front foot down too much and you're going swimming.

ITs more you than the board! choose which ever board you are most comfortable running flat on the base. you will need the speed to win and depending on the pond in question stability while running flat on the base at speed is the biggest factor.:biggthump