Note to New Members ×

Quiver Killers!

newcarver

180 Kessler with Hangl plate. My other boards just sit it the car in the parking lot or at home. Some others (Will, Jack) have written great reviews on the Kesslers - I won't repeat them. Suffice it to say, it is an amazing board.

Thanks to Shintowin, I'm about to have a metal Coiler 182 NSR; I'm excited to compare/contrast with the Kessler.

Have read alot about the K's. A friend of mine just got one after the WC event on our mountain. Kessler was there and he talked to him. About 3 weeks later he was riding one. His riding seemed to improve after that. He was riding a Volante 173 before that. Oh what a difference that new board made. Would like to ride it but he is a good bit heavier than I am. I'm sure that board would buck me right off into the trees :smashfrea

I rode this board down Pallavicini(steep bumps) at A Basin several times the day before the LCS.Dropped of a cornice there a couple of times;rode some pow and some trees(though not super tight),and had a blast with all the hardboot rippers at The LCS the next day.

I think if a board is so much fun to ride that you forsake your other boards,it's a quiver killer.

I'm not sure how you can ride a Kessler in Western pow.

Simple answer: Easilly :D

Long answer: The hardbooting BX is 22.2 wide with lots of nose rocker and taper. It comes up pretty effortlessly, as long as the bindings are in the right position. My riding is 50% carving, 20% teaching, 10% fooling around, 10% pow (well, maybe 20% on a good year), 10% moguls. For that proportion, I can't imaggine a better one-to-rulle-them-all stick...

Simple answer: Easilly :D

Long answer: The hardbooting BX is 22.2 wide with lots of nose rocker and taper. It comes up pretty effortlessly, as long as the bindings are in the right position. My riding is 50% carving, 20% teaching, 10% fooling around, 10% pow (well, maybe 20% on a good year), 10% moguls. For that proportion, I can't imaggine a better one-to-rulle-them-all stick...

I was talking more about the 180 Kessler with Hangl plate. I can see how a BX board is good in powder but a full-on race board?

Alright, there are a lot of new things showing up in the snowboard world. Especially with alpine boards. Lets hear what boards riders now consider a quiver killer.

I thought my stubby was, then I got on a newer GS board, coiler NSR is the ****.

I have a 1st gen metal prior here that I don't ride, the NSR needed more speed to turn but it was almost erie how forgiving it was once up to speed. really easy to skid which is really really nice for me because I skid more than I used to and it's cheap insurance for staying out of the woods. I should of taken that board for another run or two but I was trying to ride others. seriously screwed myself there.

I also rode a board I wanted to like but it literally scared me, just felt wrong. Every time I tried to turn it, it felt like it was going to buck me.

given, was built for close to half my weight, probably why I did not like it.

Skategoat,

Good point/question regarding my Kessler in pow. I've not ridden it in pow, and it might be less than idea when I do.

The call of the question of the OP, at least as I read it, was directed to individual circumstances. Meaning, I have only narrowish race and freecarve boards and none are too wonderful in pow (esp. when I see folks post about their Tankers and the like - those sound great). For example, my best "pow board" to date is my Donek 185 FC (18.5 waist) - some folks will probably laugh at me when they read that.

So, given "my" quiver (see my profile), my "quiver killer" is my Kessler. Again, however, you raise a great point - I'm not sure everyone would find my Kessler to be their quiver killer.

Related point: There was a good post some months back (Jack and Billy especially) discussing whether a full-on race board could be an everyday board (i.e., quiver killer). I read that post with much interest, siding generally with those saying a Kessler could never be a quiver killer. And given my experience with my 185 Kessler (now Shane's), I definitely thought "no way could a Kessler be my everyday board" (the 185 was a bit much for me). My 180, however, is entirely different; it is, quite simply, perfect (for me).

Thanks Skategoat,

Colin

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Skategoat,<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Great question/point regarding my Kessler. I have not ridden it in pow yet; it might not be perfect there.<o:p></o:p>

I read the OP to ask what I thought was "my" quiver killer. That's my Kessler. I have narrow-ish race/freecarve boards only (see my profile); my best "pow board" to date is my Donek FC 185 (18.5 waist) - some will laugh at that I'm sure - folks who post about their Tankers in pow make me think "wow, they're having some serious fun." That I say my Kessler is my quiver killer is a statement limited to me and my riding. I guess I’m just an ex-racer (and was not a good racer at that). <o:p></o:p>

One could argue that all I'm talking about is "Kessler effect." I would disagree, and with evidence. I had a 185. I eventually realized that I did not it, and stuck with my then go-to board (Virus Berserker (metal)). But, Shane and I traded our Kesslers - I got his 180, he got my 185 (I think the 180 came through Brian; my 185 was from Vic Wild). The 180 was, and is, simply astonishing. By "astonishing," I mean that, when you - as a rider – spew over aspects of your board (e.g., “it is stable at scary speeds” or “it holds an edge for me like no other” or “it saves me” or “it initiates and exits a turn for me perfectly” or “I don’t know how it does it” and so on), the 180 does it all. Crazy awesome.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

It might, however, not be a pow board. Fine by me.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Thanks Skategoat,<o:p></o:p>

Colin<o:p></o:p>

One could argue that all I'm talking about is "Kessler effect." I would disagree, and with evidence. I had a 185. I eventually realized that I did not it, and stuck with my then go-to board (Virus Berserker (metal)). But, Shane and I traded our Kesslers - I got his 180, he got my 185 (I think the 180 came through Brian; my 185 was from Vic Wild). The 180 was, and is, simply astonishing. By "astonishing," I mean that, when you - as a rider – spew over aspects of your board (e.g., “it is stable at scary speeds” or “it holds an edge for me like no other” or “it saves me” or “it initiates and exits a turn for me perfectly” or “I don’t know how it does it” and so on), the 180 does it all. Crazy awesome.

That is a great story that really highlights the complexity of hardbooting. It also offers some explanation to the huge variation of opinions that can be found from rider to rider.

Regarding quiver killers, I really need to break it down into carving and powder.

Carving, at the moment I have one carve board, a Coiler 165 VSR. It is version #3 for me and Bruce working toward a perfect board for me and it is really impressive. I am considering a Kessler built for my weight for next season to test against this Coiler.

Powder, I am mostly riding the 172 rockered Tanker, but it is a bit big in tight trees for my 145 pounds (unless it is deep). I expect a slightly heavier rider would have an easy time with it in tighter trees. For a true quiver killer powder board for me, I would have to still go with my 166 Spearhead (although it does not get ridden much). It is stable at speed, it is quick turning when you need it, and it has great float for its size.

I have made peace with the fact that I'm a quiver guy. If you want to see smoke come out of my ears ask my which board I would keep if it were my only one.

I could probably survive on my NSR 185 and VSR 170 for carving, plus a Steepwater 171 for softie days :eplus2:. Probably.

Buell,

Great post - breaking it down between carving and pow was spot on.

As for 180 being so perfect and 185 not (and I usually ride 185) - again, I'm with you - it is remarkable that 185 was not my thing but 180 is a quiver killer to me. Go figure - extremely different boards. (Note: the SCR on the two boards is different too, which can have a damatic impact).

So, Newcarver, you getting a Kessler???

Colin

My 170/21/14 is still my quiver killer. If I could only have one board, it would be it. Very versatile carver and can do pow, trees, bumps, spring, whatever. My 185 can't do it all, and I wouldn't want anything longer than 171 in trees or bumps. (took my 185 down the bumps today - too long)