Note to New Members ×

Is there a way for not eating snow while doing a front carve?

valsam

Well here is my problem,the better i get and the lower i carve i have encountered serious problem witch happens quite allot lately!

I ride goofy so when i carve toe side and get my right hand down it works like a ramp and all the snow comes rapidly to my face and inside my clothes and right down to my underwear, and a conclusion to this is that after 3-4 good laid down turns i have to stop because other than the problems i mentioned before i can't see sh*t!

Is my technique wrong or should i just try to fit some kind of windshield whippers to my goggles and also duct tape my jacket around my neck so nothing gets in!

Do any of you guys have this problem to?

Well, I don't think you necessarily have to touch the snow with your hand as you extend out (even though that is exactly what I do). I think you could have your hand just inches above the snow, and still have the same feeling. I think just having your arm out during the carve just inches above the snow, would have the same beneficial effect to angular momentum and MAY even be more efficient.

Try having your hand just inches above the snow next time you extend your arm out......or just get used to the snow. Like I said in another post..."snow is good food!" :o

Good picture. Well, I think angular momentum (or is it centripetal force or centifugal force...heck, I can't remember....I duck as the ghost of my old college physics professor tries to whap me on the head with hios slide-rule!!) helps keep your body from falling directly toward the mountain in a carve...so you really don't need to go deep with your hand. It's not like your going prospecting.

All and all, though, if that is you in the photo, your form actually doesn't look too bad for a very low carve. So why fix what ain't broke??

I ride in soft-boots at an all-mountain stance, so I don't get down quite so low in a carve for fear of boot-drag, but I do get pretty darn low considering my set-up. I'd just get used to the snow, if I were you...you look fine. a picture's worth a thousand words. Maybe some hardbooters might have other ideas, but looks good to me! :)

you could see if Rain-X on your goggle lenses makes any difference. i've suggested this many times here on bomber for all sorts of issues but i don't know if it even really helps with any of them :)

it's good at repelling water and snow for car windshields. they just slide right off if you have some speed. if you have a fresh coat, it really doesn't take much speed at all.

Wow. This thread could get interesting.

Alaskan, it sounds like you have been around snow for a while and know a good bit, but you might consider hanging out for a bit before starting to give advice to hardbooters. Especially considering you have no experience on them.

valsam, there are many styles of carving. My first thought, based on the photo is, if you want to EC, don't lay it over so hard in that soft of snow. I know it is easier at first, but it is also much more dangerous. Save it for the firm to hero groom and learn how to control your edge in those conditions. A side benefit of waiting for firmer snow is that it does not come up into your face like soft snow.

for that problem and also for finger jamming avoidance try turning your hand over 180 degrees.

As in make a light fist and carve with your knuckles down.

It will still spray up, but not as much.

You can also try to keep your head up a little more just out of the flow stream of the loose snow.

Orrrr...... stand up like a skier.:AR15firin

:eek:

Jasey-Jay Anderson does not have that problem...

If Jessey-Jay touched the snow in this picture he would definitely get snow all over his face too!

I know that i could avoid touching the snow both hands down (that's how i rode hardboots for 12 years!)but after i saw the videos from the swoard guys ,lower and with body and both arms sliding on the snow is what i want !

Buell the snow that day was just an inch of fresh underneath was it hard stiff!

Is my technique wrong or should i just try to fit some kind of windshield whippers to my goggles and also duct tape my jacket

well, this is a bad habit you definitely want to get out of.

#1. if you are plowing that much snow with your hand you have significant weight on it and its unloading your edge.

#2. secondly, with weight like that on your hand, and your hand low and in front, it is only a matter of time before a death cookie (or some other frozen slope abnormality) breaks your wrist.

safest toe side move is inside arm high over head and outside arm at your side (both arms safe and out of trouble).

Sic..

failed but pretty

the real deal

abusing the privilege

Yeah i know what you mean,somewhat like my avatar picture but my outside hand tends to stay a little bit raised and that's also why i drop it down and do the "dive move" on steeper slopes (also had chest hitting down a couple of times!)and from what my friends tell me both hands down looks much better and the "wow how did you do that without falling question"except for the snow all over my face !

Yeah i know what you mean,somewhat like my avatar picture but my outside hand tends to stay a little bit raised and that's also why i drop it down and do the "dive move" on steeper slopes (also had chest hitting down a couple of times!)and from what my friends tell me both hands down looks much better and the "wow how did you do that without falling question"except for the snow all over my face !

Keep "looking better" until you hook your finger(s) on something and break it.

Seriously. It's only a matter of time.

greg

Keep "looking better" until you hook your finger(s) on something and break it.

Seriously. It's only a matter of time.

greg

I've had my arm yanked & tossed on my a$$ from the toeside by a slight ridge in the grooming. Could have easily resulted a dislocated shoulder, it was sore for weeks.

The way to not eat snow is to keep your hands out of it:smashfrea

You guys are all right in terms of being more dangerous and we all have to learn the hard way for sure at times.

Sometimes I like to do the body dragging thing too though.

Valsam: have fun, be careful. Work towards knee, then hip and then hands to contact the snow if you have to. Looks a bit like you are reaching for the snow with hands. It's only a still so hard to tell, but your hip/butt appear to be higher than your body.

I had a magical day out with a client one morning. Early on the chair, perfect groom and six inches of the lightest cold smoke you could imagine on top.

We were laying it out and totally submarining under the fluff. Huuuuuudge Fun. Even my client was getting full carve, cold smoke, blower face shots all the way down. Still makes me giggle to think about.

Yeah...I totally agree with Carve Dog....sometimes it just feels right to hug the mountain.

I think Velam (forgot how to spell his name..and it doesn't show here in the reply box..hope that's close) is trying more for a stylistic thing, and I can appreciate the art in that. I used to know this old old guy back when I was a young kid on twin sticks...he had to be like 80 or something. All he liked to do were these slow, graceful mile-wide turns down the slope and then connect every third turn with a 360. It was only later that I found out that the guy was a world-class Olympic champion from 1932 Olympics. I have to admit that the guy had a certain implicit grace on those skis...and I guess he had already paid his dues.

So it comes down to, I guess, "whatever floats yer boat".

As to Velam's predicament....I guess sometimes you have to make sacrifices for your own personal art. And his sacrifice, it seems, would be a snowy face. Could be worse. Just watch out for those piles of chunk ice. :)

Gravity IS life.