Note to New Members ×

Stratos Pro Damage

Nicotine

Looks like time for a new pair of boots. Billy bordy has mentioned that he has ripped heels off a boot but I have never done it. I doubt you could repair those and have them be safe? I have heard of some people buying a new pair of boots every year because they are afraid of doing this. Better to spend the money than to get hurt trying to make a weak boot work. Maybe go to intec to avoid this problem again?

If the heels are t-nutted in they should still be holding fine. The problem you'll have is getting a lot of moisture in there and having things rust. You could try epoxy to fill the void. However, if those are standard heels and not intec, then you'll be missing a large part of what holds you into the binding and its time for new boots.

New Boots...Period. Your heel Bail goes over the black, half of which is missing. therefore the rest is probably structurally compromised, either visibly or invisbly.

You are obviously riding hard.

Do you want to end your season, snowboarding career, or possibly your LIFE because you didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on new boots??????

New Boots...Period. Your heel Bail goes over the black, half of which is missing. therefore the rest is probably structurally compromised, either visibly or invisbly.

You are obviously riding hard.

Do you want to end your season, snowboarding career, or possibly your LIFE because you didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on new boots??????

+1

don't even consider a repair. might be worth it to get another set of the same boot and keep those broken ones around for parts.

that's if you like the way they perform.

Turn them into a nice Flower planter in the garden... :( those have seen snow for the last time unless you wanted to donate them to someone who does early season tracking and stomps around in the rocky mountains. I saw a thread where their boots were totaly trashed and scrached up.

You can plastic-weld a piece of plastic to it and seal the hole, but as to riding with it, I'd say absolutely not with heelbails. Maybe with an intec step in, it might have some life left to it, but the structural inegrity is definatley questionable at best. there may be more micro cracks in the boot unseen, and that could lead to catastrophy.

Thanks for the input. I am going to look into putting intec heels on the boots. I have my old Burtons as back up (still going but trashed after close to 300+ rides. The Stratos Pros have been ridden about 30-40 rides. With this in mind I would not use those boots again with my current binding set up, Burton Plate bindings. I believe I'll be selling 4 sets of of Burton Plate bindings if I can get set up, safely, with some intec heels.

Again thanks.g

Pete

Looks like the integrity is still excellent on the screw inserts. Any idea what Intec system works the best/well with the Head boots? I am ignorant to the finer details of intec heels. Will be looking for bindings as well. Bindings that have the best fit with the Head's toe portion. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Looks like the integrity is still excellent on the screw inserts. Any idea what Intec system works the best/well with the Head boots? I am ignorant to the finer details of intec heels. Will be looking for bindings as well. Bindings that have the best fit with the Head's toe portion. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/td3_stepin.cfm

You MUST take those boots to a certified bootfitter and get a professional opinion of them if you are insisting on still using the broken boots.... or else I think the entire membership of BOL will post "WE TOLD YOU SO!" when you bust yourself good when the boot fails.

EDIT" please do a search for all the "Injured" threads..... might make you think twice about the "value" of reliable boots.

No way in hell would I trust those boots with step-in heels on them. There really isn't much plastic holding the heels on in the first place, and you've lost a lot of it.

Sorry, not what you want to hear. It's completely your choice but it's your legs at risk, not our's.

• 2 weeks later...

it's usual MISUSE of stati soft heels - and rule one: NEVER USE SOFT HEELS ON HEAD STRATOS PRO. you can use this boots with intec heels now - without any problems: head's plastic cannot be crushed - only teared, so I see some pairs with broken heels (all due to using soft heels!!!) like yours still used with intecs for years then

I learn this lesson the hard way too - some 7 years ago. hard or intec heels - and no problems since

Those are the heels that came with my boots. Had I known... I DO agree with you that these boots are still good to go with the Fintechs. The boots have metal inserts and I plan to shim up the missing heel area. Now for everyone that feels these boots are toast and unsafe...I appreciate your opinions.

Those are the heels that came with my boots. Had I known... I DO agree with you that these boots are still good to go with the Fintechs. The boots have metal inserts and I plan to shim up the missing heel area. Now for everyone that feels these boots are toast and unsafe...I appreciate your opinions.

dude, don't do it.

also you have to T-nut head boots because the ones that are in there spin if you put any torque on them. basically you put your intec heels on and you might never get them off if you don't use a T-nut with teeth.

...Now for everyone that feels these boots are toast and unsafe...I appreciate your opinions.

I thought the whole toebox on my left (front foot) reactor would fall off when a 2" crack opened it up on the first run of the day, my last day out. I wasn't about to get off the snow on such an otherwise great day, so with caution I rode on. two runs later, a similar crack opened up on the right (rear) boot.

wtf, I rode, albeit pretty conservitively, on until closing, ready for a 'release' at any time that never came.

Now I'm not saying that your boot is good to go, but if you follow through with the "t-nut" repair and "fin-tech" heel, you'll probably be alright so long as you keep a close eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

The boots have metal inserts and I plan to shim up the missing heel area. Now for everyone that feels these boots are toast and unsafe...I appreciate your opinions.

I really hope you are right and these work out for you. We all have levels of personal risk we are willing to take, yours appears to be higher than mine when it comes to boots.

Best of luck! :)

Those are the heels that came with my boots.

you took your boots not new from someone who didn't provide you with both sets of pads? my first strati was used too and with soft heels (only heels) installed on them - so I broke both heels in some couple riding days, good to find out this problem in time. strati (new) sold with both soft and hard heel/toe pads - so if soft toe pads can be used (it's nice to have some drag on ice or concrete) - soft heel pads MUST BE discarded and NEVER used, especially if rider is over 80kg. I saw many broken heels like yours - so it's common problem with this boots.

Had I known... I DO agree with you that these boots are still good to go with the Fintechs. The boots have metal inserts and I plan to shim up the missing heel area. Now for everyone that feels these boots are toast and unsafe...I appreciate your opinions.

counting all comments here, I disclaim that this works for me, but may kill you) but I'm not worried after looking after many head boot plastic's defects. and you definitely consider to replace original heel inserts with t-nuts when installing INTEC heels, do not forget to grease threads, and ride them hard then! ) and my broken strati of 6 years ago still going strong under one local hardbooter with t-nuts + intecs

Ahh, the x-tra important information...the T-nut with teeth! Thank you. ALso, I purchased these new from a vandor out east. The boots came with 2 different tounges and 2 sets of those soft, gray heel and toe pads. Things are looking up.

Thanks.

Ahh, the x-tra important information...the T-nut with teeth! Thank you.

yes, exactly which came with new intec heels

The boots came with 2 different tounges and 2 sets of those soft, gray heel and toe pads.

usually you have 2 sets of pads made from different material - some soft rubber-like, and some hard plastic. rubber-like HEEL pads must be discarded and never used. rather soft boot's shell plastic must be supported under rear bails - or soft heel pads cannot provide support needed. so tearing like yours.. it is engineering problem of head boots for years, strange that they sell them with soft pads for all this years - so many problems in otherwise wonderful boots