Note to New Members ×

Step-ins or not to Step-ins

fallen

I'm sure they're nice to have and I've actually 'thought' about them a few times but I've never bothered pulling the trigger on step-ins because:

1. even though I'm carrying a little extra weight, I can still reach the toe clip with ease.

2. I'm usually riding with soft-booters and have to stand around waiting on them to strap in anyway.

3. I can't even spell bugdet, let along justify spending money that could just as easily go towards another lift ticket

Good reasons :) but I'm looking for more tech explanations. For example, is the failure rate more frequent in step-ins or are they just as reliable under hard carving conditions as the standards?

What about powder/tree riding? Is there a good reason to have one type over the other?

I'm sure they're nice to have and I've actually 'thought' about them a few times but I've never bothered pulling the trigger on step-ins because:

1. even though I'm carrying a little extra weight, I can still reach the toe clip with ease.

2. I'm usually riding with soft-booters and have to stand around waiting on them to strap in anyway.

3. I can't even spell bugdet, let along justify spending money that could just as easily go towards another lift ticket

one quick answer from an SI user (did not read those links just mentioned, and this same answer has probably been mentioned a few times in them):

the only, single gripe i have is that, (this is kind of a conditional situation) depending on the time of day, temperatures, weather, and other general conditions ; i get snow stuck to the bottom of my boot as often as before every run, and i have to use my TD2-adjusting T-hex to poke off the snow; much of the time, the ice is stuck too hard for just my gloved fingers to remove it.

unfortunately, i get an unreasonable sense of desecration from the idea of having a stomp pad on my plank, though the snow-on-boot thing would not be a problem at all with the right stomp pad... swipe, swipe, click, and you're ready to go. DaKine Spike is a popular pad amongst SI users.

think i might try fintechs next year. anybody use just a rear, or would the flex differential between the two bindings be too weird (using td3s)?

also (agin in ref. to td3's), is the conventional rear bail the same as the step in front, or do you need a specific toe bail to go with the heel?

cheers.

I've been on stepins for over 15 years and would only buy standards as a loaner.

I started on rattraps and liked the flex but hated the extra effort required for the arm/release lever. I still use them with AT boots for spring hikes were I only stepin once or twice. I started using Nitro stepins in '98 or so and love the simplicity.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11566&stc=1&d=1204844953

I used intecs for awhile but sold them in favor of my nitros.

If I could afford it I'd do Bryan's(oldsnowboards) sidewinder mod with the nitro heel piece, no cable or sticking pin issues.

I've been on stepins for 15 years and would only buy standards as a loaner.

I started on rattraps and liked the flex but hated the extra effort required for the arm/release lever. I still use them with AT boots for spring hikes were I only stepin once or twice. I started using Nitro stepins in '98 or so and love the simplicity.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11566&stc=1&d=1204844953

I used intecs for awhile but sold them in favor of my nitros.

If I could afford it I'd do Bryan's(oldsnowboards) sidewinder mod with the nitro heel piece, no cable or sticking pin issues.

b0ardski any pointers on where one could get a set of those Nitros?! The google did not provide.

b0ardski any pointers on where one could get a set of those Nitros?! The google did not provide.

Good luck. They're 15 years old. I scarf up every pair I've come across, and it's especially rare to find them that still have the boot heel.

If you got big $$ the Japanese have the G-style & a Korean company make a similar system, I'll try to find a link.

When I came off standard Burton bindings several years ago and went with TD2 step-ins, I instantly loved how much stiffer they were. I felt much more in control and didn't feel like I got thrown around in rough spots. The step-in's are so nice for our short eastern hills and give me piece of mind in security over toe bails. 90% of the time, I'm freecarving top to bottom and they are suited exceptionally well.

On the occassions when I end up riding bumps or riding tight lines (non-carve usually) with skiier friends, a "little" more lateral flex would be nice. On binding options, I initially thought a TD3 sidewinder step-in would be great if such a version came out. But after seeing some of the threads and couple of Youtube vids showing just how much flex they have, I've lost interest in that idea. I fear they'd feel like I was back on those floppy Burton bindings (especially if were on toe bails). I'm inclined to think that just the little extra thickness from the newer TD3 elastomers would give just a hint more flex that would make them phenomenal for carving and all-around use.

In any case, step-ins suit my riding best.

Went from Burton race to OS1, OS1 SI, then TD2 SI. Although I think I prefer the flexibility of the Burtons as far as the ride goes, the step in is just so damn easy! I think most of the issues people have can be mitigated with a GOOD stomp pad, (Dakine spike or eq.) to clear the boot heels. It's a stiffer connection than front bail, but I think safer too. Blow the front bail and you're still connected to the board.

Good reasons :) but I'm looking for more tech explanations. For example, is the failure rate more frequent in step-ins or are they just as reliable under hard carving conditions as the standards?

I am apparently an exception, but I was never satisfied with the toe-bail TDs. I tried them at settings ranging from too-tight to too-loose and everything in between, and I could not get them to stop releasing. I think the heel ledges were prying themselves out from under the heel bails when my body compressed down to absorb hard landings, but of course that all happens so fast it's impossible to be sure exactly what was going on.

So I've been using step-ins for almost as long as I've been using Bombers, and I'm extra-happy with the Fintec heels.