Note to New Members ×

Donek in the Olympics

~tb

Not really a spoiler. . . unless you read the whole article or TT posts again. . .

Congrats to Sean and the Donek gang for getting some screen time in the womens boardercross Semifinals. . . .

Zoe_Gillings_1579893c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/7253483/Winter-Olympics-2010-Zoe-Gillings-blow-in-snowboard-cross-extends-GB-wait-for-gold.html

Pardon my laziness if this was already posted.

Sean, any info on what board she was riding? Glass, Metal? Decambered?

Not really a spoiler. . . unless you read the whole article or TT posts again. . .

Congrats to Sean and the Donek gang for getting some screen time in the womens boardercross Semifinals. . . .

Zoe_Gillings_1579893c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/7253483/Winter-Olympics-2010-Zoe-Gillings-blow-in-snowboard-cross-extends-GB-wait-for-gold.html

Pardon my laziness if this was already posted.

Sean said he was gonna build her a metal sabre awhile back. I could be very wrong but I was asking him to build one for me and he said something to the effect that he only had limited amounts of thin metal

Go Donek/Sean!!!

My first snowboard is a donek 169 freeride wide.

IMHO metal is great. However just want to set expectation.

it provide dampness to where it's needed.

Leg is less tired and one can make more run.

Better ice/hardpack edge hold.

Make non-ideal condition(chop snow) much eaiser to deal with.

For I it increase the enjoyment of snowboarding. I like to get out early cause the condition is better. Riding a metal board for me make that magic hours last longer. In that sense it does make one a better rider.

However it's not magic. I find that:

It will not correct the flaw in the fundmental.

Bad habit on glass == bad habit on metal

so if you have leg of steels and condition is always good metal might not do much for you :)

Just my $0.02

David

Go Donek/Sean!!!

My first snowboard is a donek 169 freeride wide.

IMHO metal is great. However just want to set expectation.

it provide dampness to where it's needed.

Leg is less tired and one can make more run.

Better ice/hardpack edge hold.

Make non-ideal condition(chop snow) much eaiser to deal with.

For I it increase the enjoyment of snowboarding. I like to get out early cause the condition is better. Riding a metal board for me make that magic hours last longer. In that sense it does make one a better rider.

However it's not magic. I find that:

It will not correct the flaw in the fundmental.

Bad habit on glass == bad habit on metal

so if you have leg of steels and condition is always good metal might not do much for you :)

Just my $0.02

David

That is a spot on run down of metal boards David. And without the ever present Snowman sarcasm. Metal to me is power steering with a Cadillac ride.

Think Snow!

Metal helps a chump, ride like a champ.:eplus2:
I'm sure y'all are aware but I gots to say it.

In any sport, top-notch equipment can help, but only with that last percent or two of performance.

Heck, you could probably make that girl ride an unwaxed lunch tray strapped to her feet with a couple worn out rubber bands and she'd out boarderX me regardless of any equipment anvantages given :mad:

just saying, some of us champs would still be champs even if we're sliding on $1500 boards :cool:

Zoe had extra money to spend through Great Brittains team. There were a few extra boards built to test a variety of ideas. We also provided her with the latest saber series designs. In the end Zoe chose to continue riding the same saber construction and shape she rode last season as she did not want to make changes 2 months before the olympics. The board she is riding was designed by her and her coach, but was originally based off the incline series. It is a predecessor to the current Saber series. It was built last summer.

We are exceptionally proud of Zoe. This morning I was met with a chorus of "did you see Zoe last night?" when I got out to the shop.

It is my hope that our continued work with Zoe and the Steamboat team will help us develop BX boards that will bring US athletes back to a US made product and perhaps entice athletes (like Zoe) from other countries. We are already seeing interest from other olympians and world cup racers. Saber prototyping has progressed throughout this season and will continue.